Has this draft made us offensively average for the next decade?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
djdoug said:
I think the O will be addressed next year,one way or another.

I just hope it does not take a similar disaster to make that happen.

Coach Parcells was significantly embarassed by last year's defensive product that he was hellbent of stopping it a reoccurence.

Hopefully we do enough to get by and not so much to prompt the illusion of prosperity. That is what the 2003 defense did. It got the cheese out there and everyone, including our coach, took a big bite.

devman90

The Master of Disaster
Reaction score
Like before mentioned, we should have a stellar running game this season, with protection Bledsoe can still throw the balll. With the running game established Play action will open up hte passing game. and who knows maybe we have a better passing game than expected. Once the safeties are pulled up on julius send Terry deep

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
i may be sticking my neck way out..but i think stephen jones is
pretty sharp when it comes to arranging contracts and keeping that cap
from causing us to not be able to do what we need to do in order
to have competitive players on the field. i think he learned by watching
his daddy get us in a huge mess in the 90's. anyway thats what im hoping.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
the great thing about the draft is that it doesn't get you into cap trouble...the league gives you the money to spend on rookies, and you end up signing them for 4-5 years.

there was only 1 extra first round pick this year...that pick was down past halfway, and it was simply the money that we didn't sign because we had no first rounder the year before.

if we have a huge offensive draft next year, we'll have a balanced team...but the money won't really matter.

money doesn't become an issue with your young guys unless some of the great bargain basement players in rounds 2-7 become real super stars who demand more money when they resign in a few years...that's when you have to make your tough decisions about where to put your cap dollars.

we've been very responsible in our dealings with free agents, and the rookies won't be a financial problem for quite some time.

That's my take on it.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hey gang, what is everyone talking about? Our offense is solid! With the exception of RT, where there are some very promising youngsters, where are we weak? Running backs seem solid, WR's are good, TE is best in the league, and with Campbell in a two TE set, we don't need a FB.

Now, don't say QB! Just don't even go there. Bledsoe is going to have a great year. Hendon or Romo are very capable back ups, even if the FIRST WEEK of practice didn't produce all pro performances.

We have six former probowlers in the starting offense, none of whom are over the hill and can put together probowl seasons again. JuJo is a future probowler, so lets say seven. What do we need? All eleven? Maybe a couple probowlers on the bench for depth?

We need some preseason games here so that people will quit seeing problems that don't exist!

Our offense is better than our defense, and the D is going to be great!

scottsp

Reaction score
I pray we continue to draft talent and get value with each pick. Doesn't matter to me which side of the ball gets the nod. In the end, I think we will be fine with that approach.

If only this organization had done that with any degree of consistency over the past decade.

fortdick

Reaction score
scottsp said:
I pray we continue to draft talent and get value with each pick. Doesn't matter to me which side of the ball gets the nod. In the end, I think we will be fine with that approach.

Way to be bold and take a stand there Scott! :D

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
doomsday_II said:
In today's salary cap world few teams are balanced with defense and offense with NE and the Iggles come to mind :mad: and hence their dominance of late. Then their are either offensive or defensive teams like the Colts or Ravens who always have a nice season or good run, but never enough, or a one hit wonder.

If our draft class is as good as everyone hopes along with Roy and Terrance, are we going to have so much money tied up in defense that our offense will suffer? Just asking. It does seem to me though at the least our future QB will command a bus driver salary instead of superstar salary with the direction we are going. I'm not quite sure if Dallas can ever afford a top 5 receiver, unless we are fortunate enough to draft one and keep him around for a few years. I hope my concern is overblown, just throwing this out for discussion.

One draft is gonna ensure that we're "offensively average" for the next TEN years??

Maybe you should find something legitimate to worry about...