Have Cowboys done enough to help the Defense?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Lost:
Byron Jones
Robert Quinn
Michael Bennett

Added:
Gerald McCoy
Dontari Poe
Randy Gregory
Aldon Smith
Trevon Diggs
Neville Gallimore
Haha Clinton-Dix
LVE (he only played half the season and wasn’t healthy)
Much better coaching

I think the defense has had a net gain in talent and a huge gain coaching.

If we can add an Everson Griffin type player, it’s a big net gain.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The likes of Poe/McCoy are short-term, veteran stop-gaps until we find and develop their replacements. We can argue the same about the likes of Aldon/Gregory. Outside of the two linebackers and DLaw, there is going to be a major overhaul within the defense.

McCoy 3 year deal, Poe 2 years. That's good. Next draft will add some more DL. I don't see this so called major overhaul. Better coaching, meaning no more Marinelli = better development of the young guys.

Paradox

Reaction score
If Gregory stays clean and we add a safety I think we'll be fine. You can only count on rookies to a certain extent, but they do have potential.

Gregory doesn't need to stay clean because the NFL no longer suspends for marijuana use. Now it just depends on the commish who hates Jerry Jones for trying to get him fired. My guess is Goodell is not in a hurry to reinstate.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Changing scheme?

McCarthy said they'll play a base 4 man DL.

Mike Nolan does use a multiple front type of defense, but there is unlikely to be radical changes for most players/positions.
Fronts and scheme are not the same thing. Are you suggesting we will be running Marinelli's?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest thing for me that will dictate how the defense plays is our Linebackers. We need LVE back and healthy and we need Jaylon to play much better than he did last year where he looked totally lost at times.
Jaylon needs to focus. He was all show no go last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory doesn't need to stay clean because the NFL no longer suspends for marijuana use. Now it just depends on the commish who hates Jerry Jones for trying to get him fired. My guess is Goodell is not in a hurry to reinstate.
Goodell has 60 days to rule from day reinstatement are filed. Gregory did that towards the end of March.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Complacency leads to stagnation which leads to regression which leads to frustration which leads to anger which leads to the dark side.
yoda.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys have done enough to help the defense. Now it's up to the commish to reinstate Aldon and Randy. There will still be better defenses out there. More improvement will need to be made next year but they are on their way to being one of the best. They are certainly good enough to help this offense wreck the league. #SBLV

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Well this thread is strictly about the defense. But the real question is have we done enough on both sides of the ball to compete for a championship? Because when you look at the offense its apparent that we'll score more points. So can this defense do just enough to give this offense a chance to win it all? The 90's teams weren't great on defense but they done enough to give the offense its opportunities.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
So after the NFL draft and free agency additions, what are your expectations for the Cowboys defense this year ?

- we've added byron jones replacement in Travon Diggs - i expect him to start at some early point if not game one

- we've added a heir apparent 3 tech in DT Gallimore who can develop as he finds rotation time behind McCoy (Team decided not to chance waiting on Trysten hill)

-Dunno what becomes of less heralded CB Reggie Robinson and edge rusher Anae - as they find a role and assuming they make the team.

- McCoy and Poe and Ha Ha Clinton Dix - they are stopgap -decent players, they are not pro bowlers anymore at this point, but the hope is they have enough left to allow us to change how we play defense and give us enough to operate and get by while we develop better players long term.

- frankly i dunno what will become of a significantly heavier Alden Smith from 260 to 285 lbs, as
well as a guy that has been out of football for 4 years.
That time away is quite a bridge of a challenge. and i've no idea how DC Nolan will package
and use him in the scheme.

- Gregory is still only age 27, and though he's missed time himself in a year away,
he may offer a quicker bridge back vs Alden - he has a faster get off than Alden..
and like Smith, he's exceptionally agile and wiry. and now with new CBA theres not the worry
of long term suspension should there be another " hiccup" to marijuana addiction.

Theres the hope that Dlaw has had key time to fully receover from his post-shulder surgery, where he simply was not right all year long. We need his
12-14 sack ability,

Do we get the return of a healthy LVE ? never seem the same all year and it's obvious that
had to be about that neck condition that eventually IR'ed him/ and who is our depth help should he
go out again ? Joe Thomas ? switching Lee to WLB ? i really prefer way stronger LB depth than
Thomas, Gifford and Covington.

Pass rush, run defense and more turnovers will be front liner headlines for this defense
- i'm still not sure we did enough for the defense in this off season.
o_O
The more complex scheme is more important Than any players they could add. Not knowing what you’ll be doing every down is a huge change.

morasp

Reaction score
Edge rusher
A lot of moving parts which translates to competition at the position.
Call me crazy but I could see Bradlee Anae being this years Maxx Crosby and becoming our designated pass rusher.
Smith and Gregory are question marks until reinstated but could be back to form by mid season
Jelks or Jackson in their second year could make a push
CB
Diggs may give up some passes but it wouldn't take much for him to have more Interceptions than Byron Jones' zero last year. Turnovers are the most important stat so I'll call that an upgrade.
DT
Big upgrade. Poe and McCoy will be tough to move. I think McCoy will excel on pass rush in a four man front and playing next to Lawrence.
Safety
Dix is a big upgrade and Wilson who was considered a very smart DB may make a second year push. And they've indicated one of the CBs might play some safety.
LB
Upgrade but due to the coaches. Mike Nolan and George Edwards are both linebacker guys. I'll go on record and say neither one of them will miss time during the season due to an undisclosed illness. It wouldn't surprise me if Smith isn't getting it done in a game to see them substitute Lee.

quickccc

Reaction score
Edge rusher
A lot of moving parts which translates to competition at the position.
Call me crazy but I could see Bradlee Anae being this years Maxx Crosby and becoming our designated pass rusher.
Smith and Gregory are question marks until reinstated but could be back to form by mid season
Jelks or Jackson in their second year could make a push
CB
Diggs may give up some passes but it wouldn't take much for him to have more Interceptions than Byron Jones' zero last year. Turnovers are the most important stat so I'll call that an upgrade.
DT
Big upgrade. Poe and McCoy will be tough to move. I think McCoy will excel on pass rush in a four man front and playing next to Lawrence.
Safety
Dix is a big upgrade and Wilson who was considered a very smart DB may make a second year push. And they've indicated one of the CBs might play some safety.
LB
Upgrade but due to the coaches. Mike Nolan and George Edwards are both linebacker guys. I'll go on record and say neither one of them will miss time during the season due to an undisclosed illness. It wouldn't surprise me if Smith isn't getting it done in a game to see them substitute Lee.

- McCoy as a 3 tech won't be next to DLaw in the base, he will be right next to whomever will be the new RDE.
And until that RE is settled, that role is still a concern area. Crawford is not gonna give us the pass rush we need at DE. he's a far better more effective player
inside as a nickel DT than a rushing DE. That's why we need a legit threat as a starting pass rusher there.

- it would be wonderful if Wilson becomes a pleasant surprise to get into that lineup. But its a pipe dream at this point. He has INT skills but we know little
his match up coverage skills and support/open field tackling at the NFL level at this point. We haven't seen it enough in meaningful games.

Linebacker B- i still do not like the depth of the LB unit. With only injury prone Joe Thomas worth mentioning. Gifford is still an unknown and he's struggles with injuries. then it's down to the likes of Chris covington. maybe more reinforcement coming before camp or end of camp.

- I'm optimistic about Bradlee Anae - 30 sacks in 3 years says something about his knack to get to the passer. if he is a 7 sack guy in a reserve rotational role
in his rookie year that becomes a steal in the 5th round.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Byron had production? Quinn was terrible against the run. I don't think these guys will be as hard to replace as we think.
This is correct. The running game lost us many a game last year. Allowing teams to consistently hold the ball, just running at will not giving our offense many chances.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Enough? It depends. If you’re goal is to be middle of the pack on defense. We’re maybe in the ballpark. Our pass rush has question marks at end. However, I do think our tackles will help with pressure up the middle. I’d bet it helps add a handful of sacks to our ends. We still are a hot mess if Gregory and Smith remain suspended. We “upgrade” to questionable status if they return. We have no guarantee that they are back to their productive days after being away for multiple seasons.

Linebacker to me is my biggest question mark left after end. Is LVE really healthy? Durable? Will he return to 2018 form? Jaylon too. Will he be what he flashed before? Lee? Will he stay healthy for 16+ again? I really hope they focus on some depth here this offseason.

The secondary is possibly upgraded but that is a lot to expect from just adding a pair of rookie corners. They will have a learning curve against physical NFL receivers.

Safety seems to be upgraded with Ha-Ha, but it is going to take a better year from Woods than last year to be improved. Dix is not enough to just make us better. It takes two to tango there.

My hope is we consider bringing in a veteran end, linebacker and corner. I doubt they bring in a veteran FS. After all of that we can discuss them trending above mediocre for me.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Enough? It depends. If you’re goal is to be middle of the pack on defense. We’re maybe in the ballpark. Our pass rush has question marks at end. However, I do think our tackles will help with pressure up the middle. I’d bet it helps add a handful of sacks to our ends. We still are a hot mess if Gregory and Smith remain suspended. We “upgrade” to questionable status if they return. We have no guarantee that they are back to their productive days after being away for multiple seasons.

Linebacker to me is my biggest question mark left after end. Is LVE really healthy? Durable? Will he return to 2018 form? Jaylon too. Will he be what he flashed before? Lee? Will he stay healthy for 16+ again? I really hope they focus on some depth here this offseason.

The secondary is possibly upgraded but that is a lot to expect from just adding a pair of rookie corners. They will have a learning curve against physical NFL receivers.

Safety seems to be upgraded with Ha-Ha, but it is going to take a better year from Woods than last year to be improved. Dix is not enough to just make us better. It takes two to tango there.

My hope is we consider bringing in a veteran end, linebacker and corner. I doubt they bring in a veteran FS. After all of that we can discuss them trending above mediocre for me.
You do realize we were below average last year on defense? And didn't help the offense at all.

morasp

Reaction score
\
- McCoy as a 3 tech won't be next to DLaw in the base, he will be right next to whomever will be the new RDE.
And until that RE is settled, that role is still a concern area. Crawford is not gonna give us the pass rush we need at DE. he's a far better more effective player
inside as a nickel DT than a rushing DE. That's why we need a legit threat as a starting pass rusher there.

- it would be wonderful if Wilson becomes a pleasant surprise to get into that lineup. But its a pipe dream at this point. He has INT skills but we know little
his match up coverage skills and support/open field tackling at the NFL level at this point. We haven't seen it enough in meaningful games.

Linebacker B- i still do not like the depth of the LB unit. With only injury prone Joe Thomas worth mentioning. Gifford is still an unknown and he's struggles with injuries. then it's down to the likes of Chris covington. maybe more reinforcement coming before camp or end of camp.

- I'm optimistic about Bradlee Anae - 30 sacks in 3 years says something about his knack to get to the passer. if he is a 7 sack guy in a reserve rotational role
in his rookie year that becomes a steal in the 5th round.

It is an assumption that on passing downs McCoy will be next to Lawrence since we have a new coaching staff but I'm pretty sure that was how they did it last year but granted it could be a whole new story this year. And he doesn't actually have to be right next to Lawrence to benefit from his influence, Quinn wanted to stay here because of Lawrence taking some of the attention.

Dix is an upgrade from Heath for the same reason I mentioned with Jones, he has twice as many interceptions in one less year than Heath 16 Vs. 8. The logic on Wilson is the same as the DEs, we had them last year and they didn't do much, players usually make the biggest improvement their second year if they're going to hence the possible upgrade.

I'm excited to see Anae get on the field, I had him ranked around 115.