Have Cowboys done enough to help the Defense?

SSoup

Reaction score
I don't care that the good free agents we got are only "stop gaps," I'm beyond glad we have them. First, our DT and our S positions are much better in 2020 as a result. More than that, having the veteran DTs and Ha Ha allowed us to pick the great player who fell to us instead of reaching. Unless I'm mistaken, the next DT and the next S to be picked after our 1st rounder came in the 2nd round. So we'd have been picking 2nd round players if we'd felt forced to eat our vegetables and passed on Lamb in order to reach for one of those two positions.

If LVE is back, if Jaylon plays well again, if Lawrence bounces back and becomes the 8-12 sack type of guy he needs to be again (at minimum) to mitigate how much we overpaid him, I think our defense would automatically be better than last year. And that's before I even factor in the upgrade at safety or the multiple upgrades at DT. And before we factor in our special teams improving so they are no longer constantly blowing the field-position game in a way that screwed both our offense and our defense.

Yeah, we need to cobble together production out of the DE spot opposite Lawrence, and we have no idea if that'll be Gregory or Armstrong or Aldon or Crawford or Anae or Jackson or Jelks. Or if there's a free agent or trade target we haven't added yet. We added Quinn and Bennett in trades last year, so we're clearly not averse to going that route.

And we need the corners to not be a nightmare.

But I think we've made okay decisions. There's no defensive free agents I'm livid we didn't sign. There's no defensive prospects I'm livid we passed on in the draft.