Have our Draft Needs Changed?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMO but our draft needs have not changed at all. That could change after free agency.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Or Major Wright is there then I would take the safety unless there is a bigtime offensive tackle prospect that somehow slides.

Basically i'd take the best player available at the following positions in this order.

1. Offensive Tackle

2. Safety RE: Earl Thomas, Berry, Major Wright

3. Nose Tackle RE: Suh, Cody, McCoy

4. Inside Linebacker RE: Brandon Spikes

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
EGG;3066880 said:
so now we are going to settle for having only 2 good CBs when TNew leaves? I don't think that's a winning formula in today's NFL, lol... he probably does have 2-3 good years left in him though.

No but we don't need to spend a high round draft pick on one.. Our scouting director Tom Ciskowski has secretly done a outstanding job since Ireland left..

RS12

Reaction score
CATCH17;3066887 said:
If Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Or Major Wright is there then I would take the safety unless there is a bigtime offensive tackle prospect that somehow slides.

Basically i'd take the best player available at the following positions in this order.

1. Offensive Tackle

2. Safety RE: Earl Thomas, Berry, Major Wright

3. Nose Tackle RE: Suh, Cody, McCoy

4. Inside Linebacker RE: Brandon Spikes

NO CHANCE Eric Berry is there when we draft.

The Realist

Reaction score
We are a high ankle sprain away from Alan Ball playing 50% of the defensive snaps in the nickel.

He's good, especially on ST's, but if I have a chance to get the CB from AZ, Oklahoma or VT in 4 I do it in a heartbeat.

Or Javier Arenas as PR/KR who can play a little CB as well.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Smart teams work the draft in according to it's strengths. Bad teams draft according to Fantasy Football. (See Al Davis) I'd like to see the Cowboys find the best player available. As far as O-Line goes, we don't know what Brewster will bring us, but I'm not averse to looking at Left tackles. Let's keep in mind that we've had some luck in mid round picks, especially in round four, so let's not think that we can't get talent after rounds one and two.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RS12;3066911 said:
NO CHANCE Eric Berry is there when we draft.

Probably not but this is the year im moving up if im Dallas.

Last year we added depth. This year lets add a guy who can be a bigtime contributor.

Plus I think Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry and in my opinion should easily win the Thorpe award this year.

But will he leave College?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Realist;3066913 said:
We are a high ankle sprain away from Alan Ball playing 50% of the defensive snaps in the nickel.

He's good, especially on ST's, but if I have a chance to get the CB from AZ, Oklahoma or VT in 4 I do it in a heartbeat.

Or Javier Arenas as PR/KR who can play a little CB as well.

I'd love to see what Alan Ball could do at Safety if given an opportunity.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Smith22;3066878 said:
To an extent. If the best available player is a RB, do you honestly see us taking one? You HAVE to balance in need as well. Say the BPA is a QB we have rated as a 90, but the left tackle available is a 87 and we have decide that LT is a huge need and QB is not. I'm pretty sure LT would be the choice.

You have to balance both best available player and team needs.

I should have stated that a little differently,they should follow the draft board that the scouting department has assembled.If there is not a player there that they have targeted they should try to trade back in the round.

Craig

The Realist

Reaction score
CATCH17;3066929 said:
Probably not but this is the year im moving up if im Dallas.

Last year we added depth. This year lets add a guy who can be a bigtime contributor.

Plus I think Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry and in my opinion should easily win the Thorpe award this year.

But will he leave College?

I disagree that we just added depth. We added depth that we think will contribute now and in the future. A few are (Buehler, Butler Ogletree). Two are on IR and 2 are slowed by injuries (Williams/Hamlin).

Keep building for now and the future by adding guys who play a role and now and can grow into a bigger role in 1-2 years.

Realistically you aren't drafting a day one starter on this team.

I'm for adding depth guys who have big upsides.

Get guys like Holland, Preston, McQuistan, Rossum and probably Hatcher off the roster. Hatcher is playing better but I would think we try to keep Spears/Bowen and let him walk. Collect the comp pick.

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
I think these are our draft needs, but I'm not advocating this is the order we pick 'em. As long as we go best value, I'd take any order.

1) O-Line -- not necessarily an OT, we're all forgetting that Brewster was drafted last year. He may be out for the year, but by now I would think he's almost done or done with rehab and getting a chance to work on any physical deficiencies that he may have had coming out, basically a redshirt year. Sooner or later we're gonna need that guy who can provide Kosier with some competition, and back up Gurode. So best available would be my route, no matter if it's a OT or C/G.

2) Free Safety -- We better resign Sensy, and don't know what we have yet in Mike Hamlin. Getting a true ball hawking FS would be nice. I think we're overpaying the vet Hamlin and he might have to be cut after this season, we're paying for an all-pro, and he's really just average.

3) D-Line -- Not sure if we resign Spears, so we'll need another end to step in. And I've always wanted that stud NT to stick in the middle of the D, maybe moving Ratliff back to DE.

4) Secondary -- I know I said FS earlier, but I think we need to find a nice CB who is physical enough to play a little S too. Just someone to groom behind Newman/Jenkins/Scandrick and push Ball.

5) Linebacker -- We used last year's picks to get some developmental LB's, but as said before u can never have too many good LB's in a 3-4. Maybe a nice ILB to groom for James would be nice. I think Jason Williams is the heir apparent to Brookings' and Carpenter's spot

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I think a big part of what we do will be after FA obviously.

There's alot of FA safeties that I would love on the Dallas Cowboys.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
OL, FS, and take a CB in the 6th or 7th round, maybe we will find a Ratliff in the CB category.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
1 OT don't care who

2 FS - Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt Height: 6-3. Weight: 202
could be a NT

3 ISLBER Micah Johnson, Kentucky Height: 6-2. Weight: 254

4 WR Chris McGaha, Arizona State Height: 6-1. Weight: 199.

6 DT Al Woods, LSU Height: 6-5. Weight: 314

7 C/OG Chris Hall, Texas Height: 6-4. Weight: 300

1 to replace Flo
2 to replace Hamlin - NT to give Rat some relief
3 to replace Brookings
4 to replace Crayton - I don't see Hurd here after this year
6 to replace Spears - Bowen - Hatcher
7 to replace Procter

reddyuta

Reaction score
who else had their heart in their mouth when gurode went down?that was a season killer if he went down.we need to replace procter in the draft.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;3066878 said:
To an extent. If the best available player is a RB, do you honestly see us taking one? You HAVE to balance in need as well. Say the BPA is a QB we have rated as a 90, but the left tackle available is a 87 and we have decide that LT is a huge need and QB is not. I'm pretty sure LT would be the choice.

You have to balance both best available player and team needs.

They're not incompatible. If a player is there who's clearly the BPA but doesn't fit your needs, you trade down - if it's that cut and dried, you should find a taker. In most cases, though, there will be more than one player with a similar grade, and you can choose one of that group who fits your needs.

visionary

Reaction score
assuming we re-sign austin, sensabaugh, siavii, and one or 2 of our 3 FA DEs

1. Left tackle
2. Center/OG
3. Corner (in this case ball can move to FS)
4. DE
5. FS
6. ILB

in that order

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
It's still a little soon to say this early in the year. Dallas still has a lot of ? marks on the roster that could certainly change things.

Can Michael Hamlin back up or maybe unseat Ken Hamlin? Will Dallas resign Pat Watkins and trust him to back up Sensabaugh (who I have no doubt will be resigned)? If yes on those, then safety in general becomes a low priority.

Is Doug Free the answer at LT? If he is then you still need to look at a backup to him, but could wait until the second or third round to pull the trigger. If there's any doubt, then LT has to be the priority in the first round.

Are Austin and Ogletree going to continue to perform and get better? If yes, then a combo of Williams, Austin, Crayton, and Ogletree is a pretty solid group. Do you stick with Hurd and resign him since you at least know he's capable of the #5 spot and special teams duty? Or do you let him walk and look for another late round gem? While I get excited by the Dez Bryant's, Golden Tate's, and Jordan Shipley's of the world, familiarity and trust are a huge deal with Romo. I think by the time the draft rolls around, WR will be a low priority for this team.

It's exciting to see the youth and potential of this team. The LB core and the WR core especially excite me. This group of running backs and defensive linemen have a nice rotation, and we even have a rotation at kicker!

As the second half of the season plays out some of these questions will get answered. Looking at it right now, I'd say improving offensive line depth and adding talent into the secondary would be the Cowboys primary concern.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I was thinking about our LB depth. I know a lot of us have mentioned drafting Rolando McClain but look at what we have onboard already.

Keith Brooking - The way he is playing, he isn't going anywhere.
Bradie James - One of the leaders of this defense.
Bobby Carpenter - Much improved. Succeeding in a role he can handle.
Jason Williams - Top pick in 2009, hasn't had an opportunity yet.

DeMarcus Ware - Cowboy for life.
Anthony Spencer - Defending the run and doing well in pass coverage. Coaches are still high on him.
Curtis Johnson - They seem very high on him.
Steve Octavien - Pre-season MVP. Good special teamer.
Victor Butler - Taking advantage of his opportunities.

Brandon Williams - 20-year old pass rusher will get his shot in 2010.
Stephen Hodge - Special Teams Demon in Training.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3071276 said:
I was thinking about our LB depth. I know a lot of us have mentioned drafting Rolando McClain but look at what we have onboard already.

Keith Brooking - The way he is playing, he isn't going anywhere.
Bradie James - One of the leaders of this defense.
Bobby Carpenter - Much improved. Succeeding in a role he can handle.
Jason Williams - Top pick in 2009, hasn't had an opportunity yet.

DeMarcus Ware - Cowboy for life.
Anthony Spencer - Defending the run and doing well in pass coverage. Coaches are still high on him.
Curtis Johnson - They seem very high on him.
Steve Octavien - Pre-season MVP. Good special teamer.
Victor Butler - Taking advantage of his opportunities.

Brandon Williams - 20-year old pass rusher will get his shot in 2010.
Stephen Hodge - Special Teams Demon in Training.
We look pretty deep at the position but if a stud like Mcclain or Spikes are on the board we may just have to bite the bullett and take them. Besides, Brookings want be here for too long and like the old saying goes in a 3-4 you can never have enough lbers.

I think alot of what we will do in the first 2 rds will depend on what we do with Marcus Spears. If we let him go, do we move Rat to his spot and go after Mount Cody or do we play Hatcher or Bowen and draft a guy like Wooten or Arthur Jones to have valuable depth at the position.