Have to admit about Dak

Gorgon

Reaction score
I’ve always thought romo was better. He’s more accurate and has a faster release, but Dak has closed the gap a lot this year. If he improves in the red zone, I’ll have to say he’s better.
Red zone is key.

Folks, he took 1 sack from Eagirls in our end zone; had the ball swatted out of his hands 2x I think; probably scored on the one play when he was laying 2 feet inside the endzone; I thought the ground caused the fumble on the one pass play; and throw in 110 yards of penalties?

In reality, Dallas crushed the Patsies. Crushed them.

If they get the redzone straightened out by only a 50% improvement, no team in the league can outscore this offense.

Gorgon

Reaction score
I have been with so many here in the zone asking Moore and Big Mac not to get cute and just run it from 1 - 4 times . But that is when we trusted the OL to blow open atleast hole once . I was surprised the OL couldn't do it y’day.

the OL should be ashamed of itself .
Not sure ashamed. I just don't think they have the run-blocking power that the Frederick/Collins lines had. Still, I agree with your first assessment. Don't get cute. I think they can and should be able to run this in every time, even with who they have.

Gorgon

Reaction score
After watching the highlights yes I noticed that my bad. Dak did throw early to Jarwin in the end zone. Boggles my mind we ran 4 straight up the gut on 4th and inches
You might recall that Barry Switzer. vs. the Eagirls, had a 3rd & 1 with the Larry Allen/Nate Newton/Darryl Johnson team and gave it to Smith. He was stopped. They went for it on 4th down. He was stopped. There was a penalty on the Eagirls and they got another play. They went for it on 5th down and were stopped.

It happens. At times, that was one of the best OLines in NFL history.

rags

Reaction score
You might recall that Barry Switzer. vs. the Eagirls, had a 3rd & 1 with the Larry Allen/Nate Newton/Darryl Johnson team and gave it to Smith. He was stopped. They went for it on 4th down. He was stopped. There was a penalty on the Eagirls and they got another play. They went for it on 5th down and were stopped.

It happens. At times, that was one of the best OLines in NFL history.

Those were the days.

pansophy

Reaction score
Okay dude you gotta stop with this. Dak has only lost three fumbles this year.. One against Philly and one against the Giants.. and of course the ridiculous call on the goal line yesterday. I almost don't even want to hold that one against him. Then there was the one against San Diego that we recovered and the other two were snaps that went to his feet and he picked it up.. one of which he threw a TD to Coop on against Tampa and on the other he one handed it picked it up and threw a complete pass. Yes it's something to work on.. but stop acting like every fumble result in a turnover..
These are the same kinds of complaints people have had against Romo. I redid the analysis I referred to last night looking at normalized all-time passer rating and QBR.

Romo is 9th in passer rating all-time while Dak is 12th, but it is reversed for QBR with Dak at 7th and Romo at 11th.

These are ALL-TIME numbers so first off everyone should chill out. They are both historically great and we are extremely lucky. Early Dak has been compared to veteran Romo, which isn’t really a fair comparison.

Dak has gained ground on Romo in pure passing stats since 2019, which I think is directly attributable to his new - no longer new - throwing motion. It is going to be a bummer if Moore really leaves.

But you know it’s okay to point out mistakes a player is making and not have it mean they suck. I’m more frustrated with the team mistakes that are going to kill us in the end against good teams if we don’t clean them up.

Red zone offense is uneven at best. INT in the end zone, fumble at the goal line, dropped TD pass. Red zone defense is bad — seems like it’s getting a turnover or giving up a TD. Special teams mistake every week. Still giving up chunk plays, and penalties.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
These are the same kinds of complaints people have had against Romo. I redid the analysis I referred to last night looking at normalized all-time passer rating and QBR.

Romo is 9th in passer rating all-time while Dak is 12th, but it is reversed for QBR with Dak at 7th and Romo at 11th.

These are ALL-TIME numbers so first off everyone should chill out. They are both historically great and we are extremely lucky. Early Dak has been compared to veteran Romo, which isn’t really a fair comparison.

Dak has gained ground on Romo in pure passing stats since 2019, which I think is directly attributable to his new - no longer new - throwing motion. It is going to be a bummer if Moore really leaves.

But you know it’s okay to point out mistakes a player is making and not have it mean they suck. I’m more frustrated with the team mistakes that are going to kill us in the end against good teams if we don’t clean them up.

Red zone offense is uneven at best. INT in the end zone, fumble at the goal line, dropped TD pass. Red zone defense is bad — seems like it’s getting a turnover or giving up a TD. Special teams mistake every week. Still giving up chunk plays, and penalties.

The main difference between Romo and Dak is the taking care of the ball part. The red zone offense is as much on Moore as it is on Dak. The one throw to Wilson was bad but the other one that the DB ripped out was a dime. And we know we have issues running inside against stout fronts.. I don't think that gets fixed this season unless we put McGovern at guard and bench Williams.. He's a worse weak link than the rookie at this point.. I think the defense will get better when it gets to full strength.. but I don't think it's going to become the '85 Bears at any point.. The good news is that if they can get HFA they might get to those uncharted waters of the NFC Championship because they can hang 35 on anybody's defense so all the defense needs to do is hold the other team under 30. Which I think they can do to every offense in the NFC.. IF they can stay healthy and continue to improve..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Just so you know QBR does take into consideration overcoming 115 yards in penalties not does it account for leadership abilities.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The main difference between Romo and Dak is the taking care of the ball part. The red zone offense is as much on Moore as it is on Dak. The one throw to Wilson was bad but the other one that the DB ripped out was a dime. And we know we have issues running inside against stout fronts.. I don't think that gets fixed this season unless we put McGovern at guard and bench Williams.. He's a worse weak link than the rookie at this point.. I think the defense will get better when it gets to full strength.. but I don't think it's going to become the '85 Bears at any point.. The good news is that if they can get HFA they might get to those uncharted waters of the NFC Championship because they can hang 35 on anybody's defense so all the defense needs to do is hold the other team under 30. Which I think they can do to every offense in the NFC.. IF they can stay healthy and continue to improve..
nah, no way brother..Romo was always better pure passer then Dak and had the upper hand in reading defenses roaming the pocket etc

Until this season Dak has elevated his game and stop making excuses Dak makes similar mistakes all in the RZ and EZ a but the team is overcoming them.

neither are what we would call mistake prone, look at career stats very similar.

IMO and right now Romo was my hero my favorite but Dak is now Tied in my book and only one way to break the tie IS to get to an NFCCG they both have played and failed in 2nd round games , not all their fault but now that Daks caught Romo only one way to separate himself in these conversations..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
nah, no way brother..Romo was always better pure passer then Dak and had the upper hand in reading defenses roaming the pocket etc

Until this season Dak has elevated his game and stop making excuses Dak makes similar mistakes all in the RZ and EZ a but the team is overcoming them.

neither are what we would call mistake prone, look at career stats very similar.

IMO and right now Romo was my hero my favorite but Dak is now Tied in my book and only one way to break the tie IS to get to an NFCCG they both have played and failed in 2nd round games , not all their fault but now that Daks caught Romo only one way to separate himself in these conversations..

Romo just had many more games with high INT and turnover totals.. His early career especially. But he obviously cleaned that up on the back half of his career. Though he would still have a game like that game against the Panthers on Thanksgiving in 2015. I would also remind you that Romo got to sit and learn and get stronger for the better part of three years while Dak got thrown to the wolves early on because of injuries. I don't think Dak was as good a passer and a reader of defenses as Romo before this season.. But this season he has surpassed him on both IMHO. Romo was never going to do what Dak just did to a Belichick defense at any point in his career. Especially not on the road.. Romo was great.. Dak done passed him up.. and I am fine with that..

pansophy

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m hopeful we keep improving on defense. Repeats of the Tampa game is what I’m worried about. We totally outplayed them and also made many more mistakes in all phases of the game. The more consistent team won. If we can play more consistently we can beat anyone.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Romo just had many more games with high INT and turnover totals.. His early career especially. But he obviously cleaned that up on the back half of his career. Though he would still have a game like that game against the Panthers on Thanksgiving in 2015. I would also remind you that Romo got to sit and learn and get stronger for the better part of three years while Dak got thrown to the wolves early on because of injuries. I don't think Dak was as good a passer and a reader of defenses as Romo before this season.. But this season he has surpassed him on both IMHO. Romo was never going to do what Dak just did to a Belichick defense at any point in his career. Especially not on the road.. Romo was great.. Dak done passed him up.. and I am fine with that..

played longer on average i say no... show me the proof Romos TD-INT for his career was more then great, it was well above average..

Ill stand pat at tied, this season not over and ive seen dak make many mistakes in the endzone , in the redzone and lucky for us the team and himself brought us back and it didnt cost us..sound familiar? Dak rights now is on team better then most anything Romo had especially coaches..

so until Dak get to an NFCCG ill have them tied..

you know who threw more ints and made more mistakes

HOF

Aikman his td -int ratio is below average in the rs, so most of his career .
Favre- romolike carrer outside of the SB win that team deal
Pmanning- ill check but dude has chat ton of INts

Mvps
Emannig
Ryan an mvp has had his issues..

Flamma

Reaction score
I’ve always thought romo was better. He’s more accurate and has a faster release, but Dak has closed the gap a lot this year. If he improves in the red zone, I’ll have to say he’s better.

Actually he's starting to remind me of Tony at his best. Just without the interceptions. Even the one he threw yesterday was not a bad decision, he was off on that pass. Uncharacteristically off. That's going to happen to anyone. How fast he's processing, pocket awareness, and moving slightly to extend the play, right now he's playing off the charts. I can't imagine he can keep this up all season. The dude must have visited the crossroads.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it an incorrect assumption that most (if not all) members understand creating a Prescott/Romo or Romo/Prescott thread will net a minimum of ten pages worth of replies?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo went toe to toe with some of the very best qbs in the league. Peyton manning in denver ....for example . Yep there was an int. To end the game.....but without Tony's talent.....Manning destroys us. Games against packers when the defensecrapped the bed, or rb fumbles the game away or our best wr couldn't get it done.

I think its very clear Tony never had this collection of talent on single team.

All those losses you blame Tony for.....we'd never have been in it or had chances if not for him. And I will tell you yet again....he's got excellent 4th qtr numbers and game winners. Your memory fails tou.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
played longer on average i say no... show me the proof Romos TD-INT for his career was more then great, it was well above average..

Romo's TD/INT ratio was just over 2.1 to 1.. 248 to 117.. Yes very good..
Dak's TD/INT ratio is 2.8 to 1. 122 to 44. Not just good.. but top five all time in NFL history. And getting better..

Dak has reached that point in his career where we can expect his TD/INT ratio to hover around 4 to 1 from here on out. It will be higher some years and lower some years but I fully expect him to be in that range going forward. That's who he is.. Just like 2 to 1 was who Romo was.. Again.. not bad.. just not as good as Dak.

Ill stand pat at tied, this season not over and ive seen dak make many mistakes in the endzone , in the redzone and lucky for us the team and himself brought us back and it didnt cost us..sound familiar? Dak rights now is on team better then most anything Romo had especially coaches..

HOF

Mvps
Emannig

We all know there is no such thing as a perfect QB .. so you won't have to look very hard to find QBs who threw INTs at a similar or higher rate than Romo. Especially guys who played in the pre "skirts on QBs and WRs" era. Dak's INT rate is tied for third lowest in NFL history.. behind Rodgers and Mahomes.. Romo is tied for 45th ironically tied with Manning, Vick, Cam, Schaub and Mayfield . You do the math..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

HOF

Mvps
Emannig
I really don't get the argument over who's better Romo or Dak. I think both were/are great.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I really don't get the argument over who's better Romo or Dak. I think both were/are great.
that why im being fair gave them a TIE

that a big step for me , ROMO was one of my favorite cowboys of all time. i hold him in high regard..so for me this year Dak has moved into a tie for me is saying he has arrived and elevated his game..

this tie can be broken

all dak has to do is win 2 playoff games and get us into the NFCCG..that it that will be the next step, ie playoff success..

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Romo is still the better more talented passer but Dak makes up for with his intangibles. Dak is a better leader. The cowboys were too clique-ish during the Romo era and he lauded a huge part in that. Those flashy headlines we heard so much during he Romo era jsut don’t pop up any more with Dak.