Have we become this years Commanders?

acheman

Reaction score
Will all these FA moves and aged high priced Vets like Terrell Owens, Jason Fabinbi (not so high priced but aged), and Mike Vanderjagt all in an attempt to make a HUGE push this year. And now there is talk that we might be looking at Charles Woodson and Lavar Arrington. This smells of deja vu. I am not complaining, and I know we have not mortgaged the future with big salary cap hits down the road, but it seems like we are doing the sam stuff we have blasted the Rednecks for for years now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
acheman said:
Will all these FA moves and aged high priced Vets like Terrell Owens, Jason Fabinbi (not so high priced but aged), and Mike Vanderjagt all in an attempt to make a HUGE push this year. And now there is talk that we might be looking at Charles Woodson and Lavar Arrington. This smells of deja vu. I am not complaining, and I know we have not mortgaged the future with big salary cap hits down the road, but it seems like we are doing the sam stuff we have blasted the Rednecks for for years now.

no, we actually draft well and add youth. the FAs are final pieces of the puzzle and help to transition to the next generation. ie Pettit would have never started barring injuries. fabini is the transition to pettiti in the future.

we are very very young on defense. ellis and ferguson are elder statements. after that its Roy with the seniority.

offense is a little older and partly due to FA market and the draft.

superpunk

Reaction score
The only big FA splash we've made was Terrell Owens. The rest are quality players, and have reasonable contracts.

I was thinking about that last night, but you can't really count Vanderjagt. Kickers are kickers, ya know? No need for them to really develop any chemistry with the team, although it can't hurt. We've addressed needs, with quality players. Not overrated, overpriced players.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Have we become this years Commanders?

Nope.. we would never be like the Commanders.. Cowboys carries its own tradition.. If anything Commanders trying to become us with two more superbowl rings...

Cowboys just getting back into the Traditional ways at getting their valueable big-time Free Agents...

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
No, the Commanders are this years Commanders. And last years, and the year before that and so on and so on.........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Dallas spends a lot less on FA than Washington usually does. Washington relies on backloading contracts, with the feeling that if the player plays great, he's worth the money once his major salary cap hits come. I've always felt that there are flaws in this theory.

The big thing is that every since the Galloway deal, Jerry has been averse to trading away draft picks.

I'd also like to mention for all of the talk of FA, Dallas is projected to have 14 starters that they actually drafted. Washington? 7 at the most.

Rich...........

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Bingo.

The difference is we pay market value for FA, not set the market.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC said:
we are very very young on defense. ellis and ferguson are elder statements. after that its Roy with the seniority.
I believe you meant elder statesmen. :laugh2:

Not picking on you. That just struck me funny.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
no, if we were we would have done like all the chicken littles on the board wanted and made huge signings early, instead of smart signings later.

TO is a flashy signing -- but we are paying big money for a #1 WR. If you are going to spend that is a good place to do it as drafting WRs is always sketchy, they've got a very high bust potential.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
acheman said:
You know, as I'm reading through LaVar Arrington and Charles Woodson threads... I was just starting to get an errie feeling that it reminded me of that year the R*dsk*ns brought in Deion and Bruce Smith and Jeff George to make a big run.

It's hard to disagree with the "stockpile talent and win now" method when you're in the middle of it and adding big names... but it sure didn't work out for the Sk*ns that year.

There's no telling how chemistry will work out when you add all these big names and egos. And how they'll react when the chips are down.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year, we were the Commanders from the year before. The year before that we were the Commanders from the year before that. The year before that, we were the Commanders of last year. This year, we're the .. wait .. what was the question?

:lmao:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Deion, Bruce Smith, and Jeff George were all over the hill. The guys we are talking about are quite a bit younger.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Deion, Bruce Smith, and Jeff George were all over the hill. The guys we are talking about are quite a bit younger.

DANIEL SYNDER WHEN FREE AGENCY STARTS:: :huh: :eek:hboy: :gent:

Commanders PLAYERS:: :geezer: :jackpot: :fogeys:

DANIEL SYNDER AFTER IT DON'T WORK OUT:: :cry2: :cry: :cry3:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Lavar and CWoodson might be younger, but they've both been ridden pretty hard.

They're both guys I could see going down with injuries pretty easily next year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
no, the Skins signed players not worth the money, TO and Vandy, our big money spendings are worth every penny

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Everybody was whining and moaning the first week of Free Agency because the Commanders were "improving their team" and not afraid to spend money to do it and yet the Cowboys were doing nothing. There was nothing but complaining on this board for well over a week.

Jerry goes out and gets the best WR in the game. He gets the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL. He signs some low price quality players.

And what happens?

Fans start whining about the Cowboys spending money in free agency (despite the fact we are still 12 million under the cap). Fans start saying we are as bad as the loser Commanders.

That is sooooo annoying that fans will complain no matter what Jerry does.

Eddie

Reaction score
Laugh at the Skins all you guys want, but Gibbs has done in ONE year what we haven't done in NINE ... win a playoff game.

Make light of the Skins, but they rolled over us last year. It's easy to make fun of an opponent, but to diminish the Skins is only turning a blind eye to a baseball bat aimed at your head.

We may not be the Skins, but they didn't pay $10 mil signing bonus' to over-aged OG's, or draft guys like Dwayne Goodrich, Quincy Carter, Tony Dixon as their top picks.

They didn't throw away two top picks on Joey Galloway either.