Having both Lawrence and Gregory back might hurt pass rush

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You very simply put Tank at one of the D tackles in passing situations with Parsons and Gregory on the edges. Then you have your choice to rotate at the other D tackle in passing situations. Getting consistent pressure with only 4 down lineman is a game changer.
Slide him down to a 3 or 4I and line up Parsons at a loose 5 on passing downs.....I love that

birdwells1

Reaction score
I seen and heard many analysts say the opposite. He can be more effective at MLB. Where he can go sideline to sideline.
Good for the rush defense.
And they can still line him up at DE at times as well. Or rush / blitz up the middle.
Rush / blitz up the middle. Now we have 3 guys capable of getting to the qb on every play.

Reaction score
And I'm saying this because it could take opportunities away from Parsons being at the line of scrimmage as an edge rusher. I think Parsons is so dominate at the LOS that he may end up there permanently next year if Lawrence becomes a cap casualty. Right now once Gregory returns it will be him and Lawrence at D-end so you'll see a lot of Parsons at LB and most likely be blitzing between the tackles and I don't like that nearly as much as when he's on the edge dominating the tackle one on one.
I'd like to see the Cowboys move Lawrence inside with Parsons on the edge in passing situations

CoachD

Reaction score
I hereby nominate this Dumbest Thread of the Year. Vote early and vote often. Competition could be stiff though.
You need a football IQ to understand the scenario but like most Zoners it goes right over your head which is totally understandable, like smelly cat it's not your fault.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You need a football IQ to understand the scenario but like most Zoners it goes right over your head which is totally understandable, like smelly cat it's not your fault.
OK there you football genius! If only you knew how many people are laughing at your post. I mean based on your brilliant logic, getting Lamb and Cooper back really hurts our passing game because it takes targets away from Gallup, Wilson, and Brown. You just can’t beat that logic!

And as far as football I.Q. goes, I’m a PhD compared to your preschool self.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Having them back will help. We can bring Parsons from anywhere. Line him up on the edge or bring him from the middle. Or anywhere we want..

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This makes zero sense. Because even if Parsons’ pass rushing opportunities could be limited by both, you have two starters back on the line that enhances the overall pass rush as well as run stopping capability by being better than the backups while also keeping the backups and Parsons more fresh for better quality opportunities.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed but the Cowboys moved Lawrence inside on a number of plays in the Saints game and put Parsons outside. That is just one option. I always like the idea of Parsons coming up the middle on 3rd and long situations. If tackles are not quick enough to get in front of him, imagine what he could do to OG in the right circumstances.

We could even see some 3-4 stuff with Gregory and Lawrence as DEs and Parsons at OLB. Imagine that problem for defenses.

I can see a lot of ways to get Parsons to the QB. The only problem is when offenses isolate him in pass coverage so he can't rush the passer, but that is when Gregory and Lawrence come in to get the job done.

Parsons if going to make plays anywhere they put him. He is not just a fast guy. He is also a football player.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Tank should be the 5-tech DE and Micah at left edge OLB on base downs and then on passing downs you have Micah-Tank-Osa or Gallimore-Gregory all rushing the passer
If we get Gallimore back at all I won’t be any more surprised than if I awoke with my head sewn to the carpet.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I seen and heard many analysts say the opposite. He can be more effective at MLB. Where he can go sideline to sideline.
Good for the rush defense.
And they can still line him up at DE at times as well. Or rush / blitz up the middle.
Agree
Parsons needs to be the Mike. He explodes through the gaps as fast as anyone I have ever seen. On obvious passing downs when Dallas brings the standard 4, I image that D-Law can kick inside and let Parsons line up on the end, or they could run a stunt or twist. I also can see a 3-man rush with Gregory, Lawrence and Parsons. When Dallas brings the blitz Parson can just creep to the LOS and pick which gaps he wants. Parsons production will only increase as the season moves along.

Parsons is an offensive coordinator's nightmare.

Go Dallas!!!
:clap:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
And I'm saying this because it could take opportunities away from Parsons being at the line of scrimmage as an edge rusher. I think Parsons is so dominate at the LOS that he may end up there permanently next year if Lawrence becomes a cap casualty. Right now once Gregory returns it will be him and Lawrence at D-end so you'll see a lot of Parsons at LB and most likely be blitzing between the tackles and I don't like that nearly as much as when he's on the edge dominating the tackle one on one.
We already saw one of Parsons’ best rushes come from being beside Lawrence last game. You never have too many pass rushers, but I prefer Parsons at LB vs mobile QBs. He can blitz, shoot gaps, rush beside another great player instead of beside a bum, and he can keep those mobile QBs like Hurts and Murray in the pocket. If you have him rushing from one side, a team can run the RPO or roll outs in the opposite direction and minimize his impact.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
giphy.gif

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I guess you haven't watched much of Cowboy's football the last few weeks. Since those guys have been out Parsons has been on a tear coming off the edge, however, opportunities will be lost for Parsons when Gregory comes back. Now I'm not say that won't be good but I don't see Parsons getting the same number of reps at the LOS that's all.

Consider this. When Gregory went down, he was reaching his zenith and creating havoc for the offense.

DLaw played well. I am not a fan of his, but with Gregory he can cause confusion and get the QB off his spot.

Now the offense has to respect Parsons even more, because he is not lined up in a conventional rush the passer position.

Will he be blitzing on this play or not?

And sliding Tank to a tackle spot, since he is good at the run game, and both he and Parsons line up next to each other, what happens on Gregory's side? Who is there to chip Gregory with an RB when the stunt games Parsons and DLaw are playing is overwhelming the offensive line.

Who are the three linebackers when Parsons rushes? Will they not still be there?

Quinn will be opening Christmas presents with this defense and what he can do with Parsons.

If the offense has trouble with Micah when they know where he is and what to expect. What happens when he is moving around and picking his gap?

You are overthinking this.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, Gregory and DLaw are better players than K. Neal.

If Parsons plays more snaps at DE, then Neal plays more snaps at LB.

They really missed Parsons at LB in the Raiders game.

Parsons still gets pass rush opportunities when playing LB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you study the game footage, it is obvious that the defense is better with Parsons at LB and DLaw at DE.
- They even played some obvious passing snaps with DLaw inside.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This makes zero sense.
Having a 3 man DE rotation of DLaw, Gregory and Parsons is heady stuff.
... and it is perfectly legal to rush 5 guys at the LOS.