Head Coach Wish List

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol, Idget, that's a pretty generic statement by Parcells to avoid having to explain the real underlying reasons.........it's kind oo fn line with the generic greeting of " hi, how ya doing?"...it's not that one really cares, it's just a generic opening statement......I think it's pretty well known that no one can or wants to get along with Jerry for long.........like his fellow owners around the league displayed with his rift with Goodell.....not many were on his side.

Bill has said on many occasions that Jerry was good to work with as far as he was concerned. That he’d push for reasons behind his coaching decisions but that he was reasonable when the reasons were good.

Parcells also has been very clear that age, the early playoff departure, and his brother’s death were the reasons for his early retirement in a Dallas.

Everything else is just fans trying to rewrite history re what went down, honestly.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Bill has said on many occasions that Jerry was good to work with as far as he was concerned. That he’d push for reasons behind his coaching decisions but that he was reasonable when the reasons were good.

Parcells also has been very clear that age, the early playoff departure, and his brother’s death were the reasons for his early retirement in a Dallas.

Everything else is just fans trying to rewrite history re what went down, honestly.
Do you honestly think that Bill would say Jerry was a pain to work for. That Jerry had to bring in TO and wouldnt listen to him. Bill Parcells wont do anything to tarnish his own legacy. It makes you look foolish and empowers the media when you start talking dirt on an organization. And we all know how Parcells liked the media.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you honestly think that Bill would say Jerry was a pain to work for. That Jerry had to bring in TO and wouldnt listen to him. Bill Parcells wont do anything to tarnish his own legacy. It makes you look foolish and empowers the media when you start talking dirt on an organization. And we all know how Parcells liked the media.

Yes, I honestly don’t think he was bald-faced lying for no reason.

Bill has said many things after many stops that were a lot less flattering. The guy doesn’t exactly pull punches. And we’re talking compliments here, not just avoiding public criticism.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
lol, Idget, that's a pretty generic statement by Parcells to avoid having to explain the real underlying reasons.........it's kind oo fn line with the generic greeting of " hi, how ya doing?"...it's not that one really cares, it's just a generic opening statement......I think it's pretty well known that no one can or wants to get along with Jerry for long.........like his fellow owners around the league displayed with his rift with Goodell.....not many were on his side.
Parcells days were numbered the second T.O. came here. I knew it at the time and wasn't surprised he left when he did. I was just hoping for one more year.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Parcells days were numbered the second T.O. came here. I knew it at the time and wasn't surprised he left when he did. I was just hoping for one more year.
Exactly.........a good example of Jerry reeling in the reigns back from Parcells which is the same point I was trying to make. Parcells didn't want him, Jerry did.....goodbye Bill......after the purpose of hiring him was completed.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to see them hire a guy who has been out of football and sitting in a network studio for a decade.

My first look would be this guy

852644188.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on, we know why Big Bill came to Dallas, he was getting a divorce and needed the final big payday, Jerry needed his stadium etc..
What do you think caused him to want to leave?

That happened after Jerry and Jimmy had their long private walk around the practice field when Jerry was, as speculated trying to talk Jimmy into returning which of course Jimmy declined. Jerry knew he new he needed a "big name" due to the impending new stadium project. Jimmy suggested to Jerry to bring in Parcells.

Your response may have some validity to it the first year or two but once Jerry returned to his old ways of being Jerry, the Jerry and Parcells marriage was going to be doomed.
Sorry but neither of those responses matter. The post I quoted said simply this:
No legit HC will come here as long as Jerry has a breath in him.
Bill Parcells was a legit head coach.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Sorry but neither of those responses matter. The post I quoted said simply this:

While technically correct, your answer is completely out of context for the discussion.

Yes, a legit head coach came here, Jimmy was here as well, kudos on being right.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Here is the coaching future of the Dallas Cowboys, folks. His name is Kris Richards, get use to it.

bmartin_nfl-draft_how-much-input-will-kris-richard-have-in-cowboys-draft.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What do you think caused him to want to leave?

That happened after Jerry and Jimmy had their long private walk around the practice field when Jerry was, as speculated trying to talk Jimmy into returning which of course Jimmy declined. Jerry knew he new he needed a "big name" due to the impending new stadium project. Jimmy suggested to Jerry to bring in Parcells.

Your response may have some validity to it the first year or two but once Jerry returned to his old ways of being Jerry, the Jerry and Parcells marriage was going to be doomed.

Bill has said he liked working for Jerry and remains close to Jerry. His reason for stepping down was the same reason he stopped coaching before, just burned out. Hours coaches put in gets to be too much after a while add health reason to that as well.

One of Jones’ former sparring partners disagrees with that take. Bill Parcells said that the image of Jones is “distorted” and that Jones is a “good listener” who will adjust his own decisions and opinions if your arguments make sense. And he said that Jones’ habit of sticking his nose into every decision was something that drew him to the job because he didn’t want to work for an owner who was blasé about running the team.

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question,” Parcells said, via the team’s website. “I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cells-perception-of-jerry-jones-is-distorted/

I think people come up with their own perceptions and spin things to boast their own views.

Big_D

Reaction score
I know what Bill said but 'the player' incident certainly played a part in his leaving.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

So I guess you totally ignore the very highly documented reason why Bill was hired by Jerry. Jerry didn't want a big name coach and he hasn't given a rats behind about winning since Jimmy and Switzer. It was all about building Jerry World, and he knew he wouldn't get the support from the fan base if he hired a moron like Jason Garrett.

Jerry faked caring about winning with the Parcels hire, and fooled the fans into shelling out their cash for his new palace. Effff Jerry.... now and forever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Bill was a legit HC. That is a factual statement. But the reasons that led to a legit hiring are pertinent to the discussion.

We could also argue Gailey and Wade were legit hirings. Both solid coordinators appeared ready. What transpired after they were hired is also applicable.

While naming Garrett as “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys” before naming Wade HC was undoubtedly unprecedented and dysfunctional in its basis bringing in a highly touted QB coach to be OC wasn’t as far fetched. Only in how we brought him on. And since we had named him the future seemed only natural to name him intern HC after Wades firing .Then most would argue he earned a shot.

This notion Garrett is now not a legit HC despite not having experience has become laughable especially after earning COY honors which they don’t usually just throw around as most or all of the others who have won this award are legit HC’s.

I’d argue that all of these other noted legit HC haven’t had any more success than Garrett who some are trying to define as not legit. The same OC that Atlanta and Baltimore pursued for their HC. No, this has simply become a battle cry or spin for those who are frustrated with the results.

The reality is no one really expects anyone to have much success in the dysfunctional situation we have with Jerry. And whythese more proven and experienced coaches wouldn’t be interested in coming here nor would Jerry be intetested in pursuing them.

The fact Jerry hired Bill doesn’t necessarily mean he’d hire another HC of his stature without the circumstances Jerry was facing at that time. And why it would probably take the Cowboys hitting rock bottom again with something similar to 3 straight 5-11 seasons and the financial future uncertain for Jerry to give it up like he did with Bill.

I understand the frustration with Garrett. There is just criticism but the solutions aren’t as clear.

Last edited: