Heading to Socal for the game. tradition continues

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rest of the known universe recognizes it as Southern California. Not sure what the problem is in Texas. I grew up in the SE and have known what SoCal was my entire life.

Grew up in Ohio, and lived many years in Florida, as well, now many years in Texas. Always knew what SoCal meant.
However I never heard New Orleans referred to NOLA until I got to Texas.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As the spokesperson for "the rest of the known universe", I appreciate you taking the time to give your 2 cents. :rolleyes:
Have to admit...I was also a bit surprised you didn't know it.

Well...but anyway....congrats on the game and family time Reid1. That family time is so very precious especially these days.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Have fun brother .. I really missed going to the games last year.. After living in NoCal for 30 years I finally wised up and moved to DFW in 2019 and made it to one game that year. Was really looking forward to making a few more in 2020.. Hopefully I will get to a few this year. With my daughter dancing with the KC Ballet I am seriously considering heading up there for our game against them. I've never seen a game at Arrowhead.. seems like a bucket list goal to me..
Do it!

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Grew up in Ohio, and lived many years in Florida, as well, now many years in Texas. Always knew what SoCal meant.
However I never heard New Orleans referred to NOLA until I got to Texas.

Okay, man, I hate to do this, but.....

The rest of the known universe recognizes NOLA as New Orleans. Not sure what the problem is in Ohio that followed you to Fla (where I grew up), but I suspect you were infected with Buckeye fever, a very difficult disease to cure.

Aven8

Reaction score
Have fun brother .. I really missed going to the games last year.. After living in NoCal for 30 years I finally wised up and moved to DFW in 2019 and made it to one game that year. Was really looking forward to making a few more in 2020.. Hopefully I will get to a few this year. With my daughter dancing with the KC Ballet I am seriously considering heading up there for our game against them. I've never seen a game at Arrowhead.. seems like a bucket list goal to me..

That would be an awesome one to go too for sure

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, man, I hate to do this, but.....

The rest of the known universe recognizes NOLA as New Orleans. Not sure what the problem is in Ohio that followed you to Fla (where I grew up), but I suspect you were infected with Buckeye fever, a very difficult disease to cure.

No one wants to cure Buckeye fever. :D

I worked with a guy that lived in NO for a while. I do vaguely remember him referring to it as NOLA a few times. However forgot about it until I got to Texas, and even until now forgot about that he mentioned it a few times. :laugh:

I lived in Jupiter, FL for almost 16 years. I still have a condo there. Thinking of splitting my time between there and DFW in a year or so.

Bigdog

Reaction score
What is "socal"? I don't know that word. I thought you may be just misspelling "social" but it doesn't make sense in any of the sentences where you used it. I'm in Texas so maybe I don't speak the same language where you are.
Like people have said it means Southern California (LA, San Diego, etc) Nor Cal means Northern California (San Fran, Oakland, Sacramento) even though they are centrally located on a map. Also if someone from CA says they are going down south does not necessarily mean the southern part of the US but going to SoCal. I found that out when moved out here about 23 years ago from NY. Every state has its own lingo. When I was growing up in NY, upstate met anything above where you lived.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I woke up at 5:00 AM, finally got back to sleep at 7:00, woke back up at 9:00
Now I am ready for some football. Flip through all the early game. Then see what our back ups can do to get pressure on Herbert, and how Steel handles Bosa.
Going to be a tough game.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
No one wants to cure Buckeye fever. :D

I worked with a guy that lived in NO for a while. I do vaguely remember him referring to it as NOLA a few times. However forgot about it until I got to Texas, and even until now forgot about that he mentioned it a few times. :laugh:

I lived in Jupiter, FL for almost 16 years. I still have a condo there. Thinking of splitting my time between there and DFW in a year or so.

Not wanting to cure it is a hallmark of the disease itself. It's insidious, but there's probably nothing you can do about it now. Sigh......

(Go Gators, Memphis Tigers, and Ole Miss (they got a boatload of my money after my daughter spent 100 years there, so....)

I was born in Dallas, then lived in Jax for 20+ years. I go back to Jax now and it's unrecognizable from when I left in '87. I have a little townhome there that I've been renting for over 30 year. Wish I'd been smart enough to buy more real estate in Jax, but I wasn't.

Go Cowboys!

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Like people have said it means Southern California (LA, San Diego, etc) Nor Cal means Northern California (San Fran, Oakland, Sacramento) even though they are centrally located on a map. Also if someone from CA says they are going down south does not necessarily mean the southern part of the US but going to SoCal. I found that out when moved out here about 23 years ago from NY. Every state has its own lingo. When I was growing up in NY, upstate met anything above where you lived.

And there's also LoCal. That's where I live.

(I can tell a dad joke, yo)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Thank you for the lingo lesson. I'm so old. :oldcouple:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not wanting to cure it is a hallmark of the disease itself. It's insidious, but there's probably nothing you can do about it now. Sigh......

(Go Gators, Memphis Tigers, and Ole Miss (they got a boatload of my money after my daughter spent 100 years there, so....)

I was born in Dallas, then lived in Jax for 20+ years. I go back to Jax now and it's unrecognizable from when I left in '87. I have a little townhome there that I've been renting for over 30 year. Wish I'd been smart enough to buy more real estate in Jax, but I wasn't.

Go Cowboys!

I lived in JAX for almost 2 years. 10 months the first time, left for about 8 months, back for another year. Lived out of hotels, for my work. Did not want to rent a place, as I never knew how long I would be there.
I like JAX. Stayed on the Southside of the St. John's river. Use to take the water taxi for $3 to Jacksonville landing. Also stayed near the airport the 2nd time there.

And I always liked the Gators, even when I was in Ohio. But OSU always 1st. And if that is a disease it is the greatest disease to have. :D

Grew up a Cowboys fan though in Ohio since 66 / 67 time frame.

Only 2 states I will live in is TX & FL.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I've been to probably 1/3 of nfl stadiums. This place has no rival. Simply amazing. Now, the area can't compete with Seattle, new Orleans, and yes, even Cleveland. But this stadium has no rival.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I've been to probably 1/3 of nfl stadiums. This place has no rival. Simply amazing. Now, the area can't compete with Seattle, new Orleans, and yes, even Cleveland. But this stadium has no rival.

If there live send some pics