Heath and Angles

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep seeing people say that Heath took a "bad angle" on the big 92 yard play by the Jets.

I've superimposed 2 images of Heath onto the image of the field at the point the WR caught the ball.

The image of Heath with the black and red lines drawn from him to the WR is the actual location of Heath when he started to turn and run towards the WR.

The image with the blue lines is an example of where Heath would really have had a choice of angles.

As you can see, there is minimal change that Heath could have made in his "angle".

The black line is his actual path and the red line is where he might have gone.

The problem is that it would require several extra steps for him to reach the WR if he took the red path.

In the example image with the blue lines, he would have had the choice to intersect the WR at different points based on the angle he took and the distance would be similar with either path.

kskboys

Reaction score
Heath has poor lateral agility, which often makes it appear that he took a bad angle when in reality he simply lacked the physical skillset to adjust to the ball carrier. That's why you see him make great tackles at times, but also wiff on open field tackles because he can't adjust to ball carriers' cuts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heath has poor lateral agility, which often makes it appear that he took a bad angle when in reality he simply lacked the physical skillset to adjust to the ball carrier. That's why you see him make great tackles at times, but also wiff on open field tackles because he can't adjust to ball carriers' cuts.

Yes, on some plays that is an issue.

Obviously on this play, he just couldn't get there in time.

Zordon

Reaction score
Darnold did a good job holding the safety, stepping up from the edge rush and hitting the WR in stride. My biggest issue with that play was with Awuzie and Woods/Collins getting swallowed up by their interior oline. The lack of pressure from the middle allowed Darnold to step up and make that throw.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ok so he was fine on this play. I appreciate you sharing your analysis of this play.

I still think Heath still is not a starting level safety in the NFL. If Jeff Heath is one of your starters, you’re in trouble.

If he is your #3 safety, you’re probably in good shape.

Heath has mediocre ball skills, and struggles badly in deep coverage. He also takes poor angles at times in run support.

This defense needs better safety play to take the next step.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Heath's angle on a play is about as good as a virgin on their first date. Frustrating.....Frustrating......for all concerned….

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darnold did a good job holding the safety, stepping up from the edge rush and hitting the WR in stride. My biggest issue with that play was with Awuzie and Woods/Collins getting swallowed up by their interior oline. The lack of pressure from the middle allowed Darnold to step up and make that throw.

The High End Zone Camera view is in the video below.

Note: There is a slow-motion version starting at 0:16 of the video.

The DTs are now gun-shy about defending the run.

The Jets are under center on and it's 1st and 10.

Woods is focused on getting over to his left where the RB might be going if he gets the hand-off.

Collins delays a little bit before rushing. He is also cognizant of the run.

I think they have to blitz if they're going to allow Awuzie to be isolated with no help.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I keep seeing people say that Heath took a "bad angle" on the big 92 yard play by the Jets.

Okay, I made another observation and can't put my finger on it. I think we both agree on Heath from prior threads. I agree that Heath took the only angle possible.

1) Heath is on the right side of the formation and when the slot motions to his side. Woods drops down in the box to cover Bell and Heath drops as deep safety. Unless I am crazy, I think Woods is the Mike on that play. Is that what you see?

2) Lewis motions with the slot receiver which means man-to man. However, at the snap of the ball it appears that he drops back and completely loses his man. Which makes me think that Jaylon has inside and Lewis has outside, or either Lewis completely blows coverage. Jaylon and Lewis completely turn the wrong way on the release of the pass. Awkward to watch. Did you notice this?

3) the slot receiver route which was blown by Lewis and lost by Jaylon was during Heath's back pedal. Heath did not blink on the play-action. What I did notice though was that it appears to me that Heath had to focus on what was blown on underneath by Jaylon and Lewis.. Are you seeing this also?

4) Heath breaks on the ball at the release. However, Chido already blew his assignments.

I observed that LVE and X Woods looked perfect attacking the gap for Bell and Quinn made the Qb step up.

Watch the presnap movement on the all-22 and see if you see the same thing. Then listen to the broadcast version of the cadence. I am sure that the QB audibles for double 9s off of play-action. Robby Anderson stated on the interview that they saw the look before and knew he had a 9 route. I believe the 2nd kill was for Byron's man to go 9 and the QB was going to throw opposite of where Heath was. They saw the coverage before and schemed to beat it when they saw it again.

After dissecting the play tonight, I realize how Lewis and Jaylon helped screw the play up. Do you see that as well now?

Zordon

Reaction score
The High End Zone Camera view is in the video below.

Note: There is a slow-motion version starting at 0:16 of the video.

The DTs are now gun-shy about defending the run.

The Jets are under center on and it's 1st and 10.

Woods is focused on getting over to his left where the RB might be going if he gets the hand-off.

Collins delays a little bit before rushing. He is also cognizant of the run.

I think they have to blitz if they're going to allow Awuzie to be isolated with no help.

They should have been cognizant of the PA immediately following a big play on defense. I think this is where the team sort of misses Sean Lee's intelligence and leadership on the field.

renny

Reaction score
Geesh stop defending Heath like he is an all pro. An undrafted player who is fine as a #3 safety. He will be replaced In due time. Maybe the next HC will care about safety position more.
Jerry decides who plays and sits (see Connor Williams).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, I made another observation and can't put my finger on it. I think we both agree on Heath from prior threads. I agree that Heath took the only angle possible.

1) Heath is on the right side of the formation and when the slot motions to his side. Woods drops down in the box to cover Bell and Heath drops as deep safety. Unless I am crazy, I think Woods is the Mike on that play. Is that what you see?

2) Lewis motions with the slot receiver which means man-to man. However, at the snap of the ball it appears that he drops back and completely loses his man. Which makes me think that Jaylon has inside and Lewis has outside, or either Lewis completely blows coverage. Jaylon and Lewis completely turn the wrong way on the release of the pass. Awkward to watch. Did you notice this?

3) the slot receiver route which was blown by Lewis and lost by Jaylon was during Heath's back pedal. Heath did not blink on the play-action. What I did notice though was that it appears to me that Heath had to focus on what was blown on underneath by Jaylon and Lewis.. Are you seeing this also?

4) Heath breaks on the ball at the release. However, Chido already blew his assignments.

I observed that LVE and X Woods looked perfect attacking the gap for Bell and Quinn made the Qb step up.

Watch the presnap movement on the all-22 and see if you see the same thing. Then listen to the broadcast version of the cadence. I am sure that the QB audibles for double 9s off of play-action. Robby Anderson stated on the interview that they saw the look before and knew he had a 9 route. I believe the 2nd kill was for Byron's man to go 9 and the QB was going to throw opposite of where Heath was. They saw the coverage before and schemed to beat it when they saw it again.

After dissecting the play tonight, I realize how Lewis and Jaylon helped screw the play up. Do you see that as well now?

Lewis appeared to screw up and as you said, Heath was not watching for the run, he was watching the slot WR that nobody else was covering.

As you said, Lewis following the slot WR from one side of the formation to the other pre-snap indicates man coverage, but Lewis played zone.

Both outside CBs played man coverage, which normally means the Nickel CB would play man.

People love Lewis, but there are reasons that he is the 4th CB.

Notice how Byron Jones stays much deeper than the WR as compared to Awuzie trying to play tighter against Anderson. Regardless of speed, Awuzie needed to play further off if that's what he needs to stay over the top of the WR when he is isolated in man coverage with no help.