News: Helman: Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

CCBoy

Reaction score
Helman: Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/02/03/helman-why-im-not-buying-hype-qb-options-no-4-overall

...One of these guys (Goff, Wentz, and Lynch) might become a future start, but I just don’t see the can’t-miss prospect like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or Jameis Winston.

What I do see is a long list of readymade contributors at several other positions – Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Laquon Treadwell. I’ll even toss Noah Spence and Ezekiel Elliott into the mix for argument’s sake.

There are cornerstone-caliber players to be found at No. 4 who can help right away. There are months left to go, but that’s the eventual conclusion I think the Cowboys will come to, as well.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It won't be the end of the world if we don't go with a QB at 4. Some great talent will be there for the choosing. I'm coming around more and more on Treadwell, I think he'd fit our offense nicely. Not big on Jack, but I'm not great on scouting linebackers, I'd take the wait and see approach with him. I do not like anything I've seen from Bosa, I think he'd be the player I'd be most disappointed with if we chose him.

I think we'll have a chance to trade back and get an extra pick in this year's draft. I have a feeling this may be what we do on draft day.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cam had character concerns and plenty of people thought his game would not translate to the NFL.

Personally, I thought Cam would do well and Jameis would not.

He had an issue in college with his father and the NCAA, but hardly anything else. If Cam straight from college was entering this draft, he'd be the top prospect at QB, easily.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cam had character concerns and plenty of people thought his game would not translate to the NFL.

It's the new boundaries brought about by stem cell research.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
What I do see is a long list of readymade contributors at several other positions – Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Laquon Treadwell. I’ll even toss Noah Spence and Ezekiel Elliott into the mix for argument’s sake.

I can see Bosa being a can't miss player just like Deion Jordon, and Ramsey a can't miss like Claiborne, Treadwell a can't miss like Heyward Bey, Elliot is a can't miss like Richardson......etc, etc...... all cornerstones of their selecting teams.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Joneses and scouts at the ranch don't care what Helman buys or doesn't.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Cam never had to read a defense in college. That was his biggest. Character wise he was a bit arrogant but he had good football character. Notable on the field leader.

Definitely not cant miss however. Could have easily been another Akili Smith

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's not have any illusions that it would make a whole lot of difference what position we address for pick #4. It's entirely possible there will be other QBs just as good to come along later in round one in later years to follow. If the Cowboys decide to draft a position other than a QB, the initial impact may well be more immediate anyhow. Besides, we have no other choice but to trust that they'll do their research adequately and make the best decision based upon their findings. There are certainly enough positions of need to pick from to offer a generous number of possibilities and provide the selection of an exceptional talent. I think both Wentz and Goff are capable candidates but not necessarily better than what might be available in years to come. Here's hoping we do well, regardless.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Let's not have any illusions that it would make a whole lot of difference what position we address for pick #4. It's entirely possible there will be other QBs just as good to come along later in round one in later years to follow. If the Cowboys decide to draft a position other than a QB, the initial impact may well be more immediate anyhow. Besides, we have no other choice but to trust that they'll do their research adequately and make the best decision based upon their findings. There are certainly enough positions of need to pick from to offer a generous number of possibilities and provide the selection of an exceptional talent. I think both Wentz and Goff are capable candidates but not necessarily better than what might be available in years to come. Here's hoping we do well, regardless.

It will be hard to find a QB as talented as Wentz in future years if we have any success because our draft position will be lower and drafting him now puts us ahead of ahead of schedule.

A Joey Bosa or Myles Jack really aren't big game changing type of players. The top of this draft is blah.

If we can't get a QB I hope we get out of that pick. The media will hate it but the quality at the top of this draft just isn't worth it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You look at various mocks and these 3 QB's are all over the board.

And guys that have such a meteoric rise after Jan. 1st should be looked at with a suspicious eye...

Bottom line... They could take a QB at #4, but in no way would it shock me if they did not.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Drafting is a crap shoot.

A QB in round one adds more crap to the shoot.

Draft BPA. This team needs a lot of holes filled.

I'd be happy with a safety.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Helman is a draftnik in training. I wouldn't take any evaluation he makes too seriously.

Helman's a complete PR tool. As such, the value in his opinion isn't the actual evaluation, but its clue as to what the organization might be thinking.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It will be hard to find a QB as talented as Wentz in future years if we have any success because our draft position will be lower and drafting him now puts us ahead of ahead of schedule.

A Joey Bosa or Myles Jack really aren't big game changing type of players. The top of this draft is blah.

If we can't get a QB I hope we get out of that pick. The media will hate it but the quality at the top of this draft just isn't worth it.

I agree, if Dallas choose not to get a QB I would not mid seeing them move out of the 4 spot and pick up the extra pick