News: Helman: Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see this thing coming down to the team's philosophy.

For years under Jerry Jones, the thinking has been 'quick fix'. Believing that we were 'one piece' or 'a player or two away'. All the while, putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Just once, I'd like to see a decision made for the long term. If Goff and Wentz show enough to be considered starting franchise quarterbacks, take one of them and start preparing for the future.

After all, if this team is truly the 12-4 Super Bowl contending squad of 2014 that was derailed solely due to injury, they should be just as good next season when those injured players return, right?

And therefore, they don't have to have an impact player at #4 overall. There will be plenty of picks at a prime position during the rest of the draft to supplement such a top-notch core of players.

dfense

Reaction score
The defense needs impact defenders. Jalen Ramsey can be paired with Byron Jones to completely solve the forever and a day safety problem that has cost this team uncountable games. Heck, Wilcox was responsible for three game ending plays this year alone.

Great safeties make average CB's a lot better. Plus, either player can play CB and cover TE's. It allows for great flexibility for Marinelli.

He would be my pick right now.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Cam and Jameis as far as talent goes they were considered a can't miss. But their maturity was in question. Now I would not be disappointed if drafted a QB I know he will sit for 3/4 yrs, I will be disappointed if we took Lynch though as that QB. I want a player that will immediately be a starting contributor that make our team better right off the bat. That player t me at the number 4 pick would be RB Ezekiel Elliot, or a RT, SS, CB, a WR if he is a number one type WR.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cam and Jameis as far as talent goes they were considered a can't miss. But their maturity was in question. Now I would not be disappointed if drafted a QB I know he will sit for 3/4 yrs, I will be disappointed if we took Lynch though as that QB. I want a player that will immediately be a starting contributor that make our team better right off the bat. That player t me at the number 4 pick would be RB Ezekiel Elliot, or a RT, SS, CB, a WR if he is a number one type WR.

I would add linebacker in that if Ro is not retained.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see this thing coming down to the team's philosophy.

For years under Jerry Jones, the thinking has been 'quick fix'. Believing that we were 'one piece' or 'a player or two away'. All the while, putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Just once, I'd like to see a decision made for the long term. If Goff and Wentz show enough to be considered starting franchise quarterbacks, take one of them and start preparing for the future.

After all, if this team is truly the 12-4 Super Bowl contending squad of 2014 that was derailed solely due to injury, they should be just as good next season when those injured players return, right?

And therefore, they don't have to have an impact player at #4 overall. There will be plenty of picks at a prime position during the rest of the draft to supplement such a top-notch core of players.

Agreed.

IF any of the top 3 QB's show enough to convince the team to take them... then take them.

If not, then grab the next BPA.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
2015 Article : Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

2016 Article: QB tops list of players Cowboys most regret passing on in last year's draft.

Tough to know who's right in all this. We won't know for a couple years most likely. If the QBs remaining at the time of our pick all flop, all will be fine. But if one does become elite, it will be the Randy Moss situation all over again only 3x worse. That regret will live on for the next generation.

Hopefully we will not have that regret.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

After everything we've been through this guy wants to use a top 5 pick on a cornerback.

Marinate in that stench for a while.

Anyone who says things like "I want immediate contributors" doesn't understand the draft process. They're thinking like a fan not a team builder. It's the same mindset that roots for meaningless end of the season wins rather than draft positioning that can actually help the team.

Instant impact is a bonus not a determining factor in draft decisions.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Helman: Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/02/03/helman-why-im-not-buying-hype-qb-options-no-4-overall

...One of these guys (Goff, Wentz, and Lynch) might become a future start, but I just don’t see the can’t-miss prospect like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or Jameis Winston.

What I do see is a long list of readymade contributors at several other positions – Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Laquon Treadwell. I’ll even toss Noah Spence and Ezekiel Elliott into the mix for argument’s sake.

There are cornerstone-caliber players to be found at No. 4 who can help right away. There are months left to go, but that’s the eventual conclusion I think the Cowboys will come to, as well.

Hardly a ringing endorsement as to those guys "Blue Chip" credentials.

Sydla

Reaction score
He had an issue in college with his father and the NCAA, but hardly anything else. If Cam straight from college was entering this draft, he'd be the top prospect at QB, easily.

Ummmm........... he had a few more issues than just that. He was accused of stealing a laptop (or buying a stolen laptop is you believe his story) in college and when police went to question him, he threw the laptop out the window to try to cover up the fact he had a stolen laptop and knew it.

It also came out that his "transfer" from UF wasn't necessarily his choice and he apparently had been caught cheating at UF and was facing possible expulsion. He apparently submitted a paper from another student and put his name on it. When caught, was given another chance and submitted a second paper that turned out was purchased off the internet.

Seems Cam has straightened himself out but he definitely had some character issues dogging him leading up to that draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
2015 Article : Why I'm Not Buying The Hype On The QB Options At No. 4 Overall

2016 Article: QB tops list of players Cowboys most regret passing on in last year's draft.

Tough to know who's right in all this. We won't know for a couple years most likely. If the QBs remaining at the time of our pick all flop, all will be fine. But if one does become elite, it will be the Randy Moss situation all over again only 3x worse. That regret will live on for the next generation.

Hopefully we will not have that regret.

It is very difficult to make a reasoned choice, going on personal agenda and emotion from a member of the sports media. Now, if one takes the points used for comparisons, and from multiple sources, one has a much easier job of making his own, 'informed,' view of what is involved.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Ryan Leaf, was a first pick. He a blue chipper?

Most people on this board who are against picking a QB at 4, want a "Blue Chip" player at that position who will have an immediate impact.

Helman; calling them "contributors" doesn't (in my mind anyway) conjure up visions of "Blue Chip" players having the sort of impact people will expect.

conner01

Reaction score
If Cowboys pick Wentz I'm going to lose it. He is not worth the 4th pick overall.

From a talent standpoint few qb's are worth where they are picked
Where you pick them is not the issue to me. Picking a good one is and if you get a good one doesn't really matter where you pick him

CCBoy

Reaction score
Most people on this board who are against picking a QB at 4, want a "Blue Chip" player at that position who will have an immediate impact.

Helman; calling them "contributors" doesn't (in my mind anyway) conjure up visions of "Blue Chip" players having the sort of impact people will expect.

I'm understanding that perspective. It's a fair one.

Myself, I always seek a more functional basis for a comparative stance...but mine are never written in stone.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I would add linebacker in that if Ro is not retained.

There were a couple of LBs that I liked, they were the Sean Lee and Luke Kueckly type o LBs. you know those film junkies that love to play football and love to hit and make tackle

BHendri5

Reaction score
After everything we've been through this guy wants to use a top 5 pick on a cornerback.

Marinate in that stench for a while.

Anyone who says things like "I want immediate contributors" doesn't understand the draft process. They're thinking like a fan not a team builder. It's the same mindset that roots for meaningless end of the season wins rather than draft positioning that can actually help the team.

Instant impact is a bonus not a determining factor in draft decisions.

Dude, what are you talking about? Anytime a team drafts a player in the top 10, they are expecting that player to be an instant starter/contributor impact player. I understand what you man about instant impact being a bonus I can agree with that, only in that is true with any draft pick, it is just like when I tell people that a franchise QB is groomed, you don't draft a guy and say he is the franchise, because he can en up being a bust like so many have.
There has been many CBs that has been instant contributors on teams

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Drafting is a crap shoot.

A QB in round one adds more crap to the shoot.

Draft BPA. This team needs a lot of holes filled.

I'd be happy with a safety.

Three guys aren't a crap shoot at the top of this Draft, none are QBs or Safeties.

OT Tunsil
DL Buckner
LB Jack

All start day1 and could become NFL dominant at their positions.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Three guys aren't a crap shoot at the top of this Draft, none are QBs or Safeties.

OT Tunsil
DL Buckner
LB Jack

All start day1 and could become NFL dominant at their positions.

I'm not even sure there's a safety worthy of a round one pick this year..................(or even a QB for that matter, IMO.)

BUT.................anything has got to be better than the safties Dallas trots out there. Good lord they're horrible.