Henson on ESPN Classic right now

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I didn't know Henson played with the A-train...Is that reciver Javon Walker too ?

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Jarv said:
I didn't know Henson played with the A-train...Is that reciver Javon Walker too ?

Yea, when A-Train signed, he mentioned Henson in a qoute in an article...just saying that not only is there Bledsoe but also Henson at the QB position, so that helped lure him some. David Terrell also played with them.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
doubt it
Henson is not Brady. He is light years behind in football IQ and running an NFL offense.

Romo the next in line after Bledsoe gets us our 6th ring. Thats what I'm rooting for. Not hoping Henson can start his 3 year learning curve in 2007 putting us well into next decade looking for that elusive Lombardi. That same Lombardi Mumbles owns of late ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
doubt it
Henson is not Brady. He is light years behind in football IQ and running an NFL offense.

Romo the next in line after Bledsoe gets us our 6th ring. Thats what I'm rooting for. Not hoping Henson can start his 3 year learning curve in 2007 putting us well into next decade looking for that elusive Lombardi. That same Lombardi Mumbles owns of late ;)

Hey Nors, I refuse to go into the season disliking the starting QB for the simple reason it will rob me of a good deal of my well earned pleasure this season.

So I am trying REAL hard to get on board with Bledsoe.

But it still goes up my tush a mile when you crack on Henson.

So let's make a deal.

You lay off my Drew, I lay off yours this season. :D

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
doubt it

So a guy that was breaking down film with his dad while he was in kindergarden lacks football IQ?

Romo knows what exactly about running an NFL offense, since he's never run one?

Why do I feel the need for hip waders?

ndanger

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Hey Nors, I refuse to go into the season disliking the starting QB for the simple reason it will rob me of a good deal of my well earned pleasure this season.

So let's make a deal.

Dang that's gotta hurt!!!!!! :D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
doubt it

geez, what ignorance

David

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

So let's make a deal.

Well Put LTN. However, you really don't expect an agreement on that, do you?

The guy won't ever lay off Henson. I firmly believe that if Henson came in and led us to the playoffs... Nors would still find fault in his game and blame any failures on Lil' Drew.

Stank

Reaction score
I just don't get this anti-Henson sentiment. I recorded that Bears game and have watched the first half several times. I still believe that given Henson's rust, his lack of NFL and college experience AND the short week he had to prepare, I don't think he played that bad.

True, he had the int returned for a TD, but if that frightened you, maybe you ought to go back and look at 1989 footage of Aikman.

It is simply way too premature to write off Henson. Anyone who thinks they have a clue as to the kind of player Henson is going to be in the future is simply full of it. Nobody knows at this point.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Stank said:
I just don't get this anti-Henson sentiment. I recorded that Bears game and have watched the first half several times. I still believe that given Henson's rust, his lack of NFL and college experience AND the short week he had to prepare, I don't think he played that bad.

True, he had the int returned for a TD, but if that frightened you, maybe you ought to go back and look at 1989 footage of Aikman.

It is simply way too premature to write off Henson. Anyone who thinks they have a clue as to the kind of player Henson is going to be in the future is simply full of it. Nobody knows at this point.

I'm with you.

I have watched that Bear's game a dozen times. I think the offensive line was MUCH worse than Henson. It would have been one thing if he didn't see the blitz, hesitated and then screwed up. But he was under the gun almost immediately after taking the ball from center.

The INT was completely his fault and very much a rookie mistake (or Jake Plummer, Vinny, Bledsoe..and any other QB who forces the ball). His drop back was to the right, there was alot of pressure from the DE, he took an extra 3/4 step, screwed up the timing of the play and then threw the ball anyway.

Bledsoe is gonna toss his share of forced INTs this year. Vinny threw more than a few last year.

The Baltimore game, anti Henson folks write off as a lopsided affair in which he got garbage time. Of course they ignore the fact that he was blitzed OFTEN in that game because the Ravens were trying to protect their shutout.

He's got great upside. And how anyone can root against, or bad mouth a kid who in the beginning of June had already thrown over 5000 off-season passes is beyond me.

People also forget that when Henson came out of High School, the Yankees wanted him. His choice was college and FOOTBALL instead. http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1998/jul/07-20-98/sports/sports2.html

Coach Lloyd Carr said Henson was the most talented quarterback he had been around. Uh, and that includes Brady.

So, Henson still has to prove it on the field. But I like our chances with him as the starting QB someday.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe is our Starter.

Lets see if Henson can earn the backup job out of camp, Romo beat him last year.
Romo has played far more football than Henson who decided to play baseball over football for 3 years. Fact is he's started what 9 games since he graduated from high school 8 years ago.

My Money is on Bledsoe passing 50,000 career yards in a Dallas Uniform and hoisting the Lombardi with Parcells and Jones!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nors said:
Bledsoe is our Starter.

Lets see if Henson can earn the backup job out of camp, Romo beat him last year.
Romo has played far more football than Henson who decided to play baseball over football for 3 years. Fact is he's started what 9 games since he graduated from high school 8 years ago.

My Money is on Bledsoe passing 50,000 career yards in a Dallas Uniform and hoisting the Lombardi with Parcells and Jones!

Knock knock. Anyone home?

If Romo beat him last year, why did Henson see the field in two games while Romo stayed on the sidelines all year (his second season with the team, mind ya)?

Romo was moved ahead of Henson in the LAST game of the season. And even Parcells said not to read anything into that.

Yep, Romo has had a lot more experience. Reminds me of when the Cowboys played the Bills the first time in the super bowl. Buffalo had all the experience.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Reminds me of when the Cowboys played the Bills the first time in the super bowl. Buffalo had all the experience.

Nice analogy Juke... and very true.

As important as experience is... it isn't everything. Ability, coaching and circumstances play a large part in the success or failure of a young QB.

One thing that I don't hear mentioned very often regarding Henson is his terrific athletic ability. He has the speed and agility to create if things start breaking down around him... something that's invaluable and bailed out Carter and his less than stellar decision making on more than one occasion.

If Henson can stand in the pocket, look for an open receiver, and then take off if he can't find anything... I think he'd be able to lead a good team to the playoffs. He has the athleticism to be effective in that role.

Gent

Reaction score
I thought Henson beat out Romo last year. That's a very positive sign, considering the head start Romo had. Nothing out of Valley Ranch seems to indicate Henson isn't still on track.

I'm rooting for Henson (and Romo!) to make a huge leap this year. If the defense, o-line, and running game shape up, it might make sense to experiment with our young QBs. Especially, if Bledsoe looks extremely average and Henson shows some mobility.

-Gent