Herd w/Colin Cowherd:How much do the Cowboys need Ceedee Lamb?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wont go quite as far as Cowherd in saying this is a bottom 5 offense without Lamb, but the general idea that the Cowboys are very dependent upon Lamb isnt wrong at all. This guy made up 38% of Daks yards and 32% of his completions last season despite being the only guy worthy of commanding backet coverage. Other teams are getting similar production out of their top WRs, however these teams all have other options too that can force a defense to give these #1 guys more 1v1 looks in a game.

Of the receivers who had similar production a year ago

Hill has Waddle
Nacua has Kupp
Brown has Smith
St Brown has LaPorta and a top 5 run game
Aiyuk has (or had) Deebo, Kittle, and McCaffree
DJ Moore added Keenan Allen and Rome Odunze

The Cowboys have some very solid players after Lamb in Cooks/Ferg which I think would keep them afloat for a while, but neither of these guys is going to be a reliable #1 target if Lamb were to miss extended time. The Cowboys are probably one of the worst teams in the league as far as being in position to lose their top receiver in that the drop off from #1 to #2 is so large and they don't have a great run game to balance that out either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

laughing.gif

shabazz

Reaction score
If he wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league all he has to do is sit out the first 2 games.
Absolutely true.....but, I can't get out of my head that Jerry may secretly want to see the players come down to earth with a sub-par season AND wind up with a high draft pick in 2025.

I just can't discount his penchant for drama and outside the box thinking

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Never bottom 5 with Dak, but bottom 5 in skill position maybe
Taking away 1/3 of Dak's production, even if you could replace half of that with other players, would likely put Dak in the bottom tier of QBs statistically last year.

They may not end up bottom 5, but bottom 3rd, definitely.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Cowherd is clueless when it comes to the Cowboys. Doesn’t every team need a number 1 receiver that a quarterback trusts. The key to the Cowboys offense this season is the development of the young offensive linemen. The elephant in the room that nobody talked about last season is that Martin, Biadiz, and Tyron could not run block at all last season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's no question but what the Cowboys need to arrive at an agreement with Cee Dee Lamb. We all should be in agreement with that. The Dallas Cowboys FO knows that, as well as anyone else. The problem is that they haven't been able to settle up with an agreeable compromise.

I think they'll get around to something mutually acceptable in time, but negotiating is a tough thing to accomplish successfully. Both sides have to do so in good faith that they can trust the other to be fair. Until they arrive at such a situation, their problems will continue. Let's hope for that to happen well before the regular season is about to kick off. If they're not willing to compromise, their team will suffer. It's about time for that to happen ASAP.

Last edited:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I know I should only be commenting about the message and not the messenger BUT, this guy comes off as such an elitist wannabe that craves to be a part of the master class. His takes are asinine at times.

Simply put.....he's a giant douchhe
He isn't entirelly wrong, but over time his takes are just silly and look to just elicit reactions. Once upon a time I'd watch this show daily, now only in the background at times if I don't have to pay attention. This is the same guy who is an apologist for Jim Harbaugh and truly think he wasn't aware of what was going on at Michigan. The same guy who thinks TB 12 had no inside info about deflate gate, etc.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I know I should only be commenting about the message and not the messenger BUT, this guy comes off as such an elitist wannabe that craves to be a part of the master class. His takes are asinine at times.

He could be a stark raving lunatic, but if what he's saying is 100% true, what difference does it make? It's not like he was making any predictions. He was just telling us what we already saw.

Flamma

Reaction score
Absolutely true.....but, I can't get out of my head that Jerry may secretly want to see the players come down to earth with a sub-par season AND wind up with a high draft pick in 2025.

I just can't discount his penchant for drama and outside the box thinking
I see what you're saying, but there are ways to do that without looking like a fool. All they have to do is trade Lamb. That's how you have a bad season. You get a 1st and maybe a 3rd or 4th. Not make Lamb sit out games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Agreed. He’s trash I don’t know why he gets posted here. I value the opinion of Zoners before I listen to him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel Lamb will be signed before the time the final cuts are in. Both sides know, all too well, that they need the other for both to succeed.:thumbup: