Herd w/Colin Cowherd:How much do the Cowboys need Ceedee Lamb?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cowherd is clueless when it comes to the Cowboys. Doesn’t every team need a number 1 receiver that a quarterback trusts.
Yes, but most teams with a legitimate #1 target have invested heavily in a #2 guy as well. Tyreek Hill has Waddle. AJ Brown has Smith. Justin Jefferson has Addison. Deebo has Aiyuk (for now). Nacua has Kupp.

Brandin Cooks is a solid player, but his yards per game the last four years have gone from 76 to 65 to 53 to just 41 last season. The guys best asset is his speed and now over 30 it seems like his fastball just isnt what it used to be. The Cowboys are in the Raiders territory of being overly dependent upon one receiver.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Absolutely true.....but, I can't get out of my head that Jerry may secretly want to see the players come down to earth with a sub-par season AND wind up with a high draft pick in 2025.

I just can't discount his penchant for drama and outside the box thinking
I think you’re right in that Jerry has the ending of this off-season story played out in his head. We just aren’t 100% sure what that ending is and JJ likes the mystery. It makes his final move more noteworthy.

I’ve considered your theory as well. There’s a small part of me that feels Jerry may want to “punish” these guys (his QB in particular) for the way the season finished last year and he’ll reset, and move forward next year. His words may as well be as unintelligible as Charlie Brown’s teacher cuz I ain’t buying any of his lip service regarding salaries and what he wants.

Actions Mr. Jones…actions.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes, but most teams with a legitimate #1 target have invested heavily in a #2 guy as well. Tyreek Hill has Waddle. AJ Brown has Smith. Justin Jefferson has Addison. Deebo has Aiyuk (for now). Nacua has Kupp.

Brandin Cooks is a solid player, but his yards per game the last four years have gone from 76 to 65 to 53 to just 41 last season. The guys best asset is his speed and now over 30 it seems like his fastball just isnt what it used to be. The Cowboys are in the Raiders territory of being overly dependent upon one receiver.
With the development and trust Dak has for Ferguson, the Cowboys will be fine at receiver. Cooks, Tolbert, and the other Jalen are talented enough to make the offense better with Lamb.

starfan1

Reaction score
With the development and trust Dak has for Ferguson, the Cowboys will be fine at receiver. Cooks, Tolbert, and the other Jalen are talented enough to make the offense better with Lamb.
I disagree! they are not. I heard similar stuff in 2019 I think it was and we ended up going out and getting amari. Even with Lamb in the fold and Ferguson without a running game the WRs are going to have their work cut out for them. we need that dog at WR and thats lamb but we need a running attack worse. JMO

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would hope the Cowboys don't agree with that thinking.

Jake Ferguson is a fine TE, but his 71/761 receiving line from last year doesnt leave a ton of room for more. The most yards in the league for a TE last year was Kittle at 1,020. Ferg would have to make the jump to be the top statistical TE (or close to it) in the league to have a more significant impact on the offense than he did a year ago. I'm guessing here, but I would also think that with question marks at both T positions he is going to be asked to stay in and block more than the 31 times he did in 2023 creating less pass catching opportunities. Ferg also needs to show that he is more than just an underneath catch and run player. 60 of his 74 catches last season came either behind the LOS or under 9 yards of depth. Just 220 yards came on passes over 10 air yards. Compare that to a guy like Kittle who had 680 yards on catches over 10 yards in depth. I'm happy Ferg is on the team I don't want anyone to get me wrong, and he is still young enough to where we could see improvement in these areas. That said though at this point in his career should not be counted on as a guy who even starts to replace Lambs production should he miss time. Ferg is the guy who takes advantage of having a player like Lamb to draws bracket coverage to leave the underneath area open so he can beat a LB 1v1.

No one else on this roster at WR is going to do that for us. Cooks, who I think is still OK has saw his numbers decline 4 years straight and the Jalens are total unknowns at this point. If either of those guys can get you 45 catches for 600ish yards this year I think everyone would consider that a success, and that's only a slight improvement over the production Gallup had in 2023.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I disagree! they are not. I heard similar stuff in 2019 I think it was and we ended up going out and getting amari. Even with Lamb in the fold and Ferguson without a running game the WRs are going to have their work cut out for them. we need that dog at WR and thats lamb but we need a running attack worse. JMO
Tolbert, Cooks, and the other Jaylen are better than the 2019 guys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's the opposite. Dak is Tua 2.0. Players around those QBs make them look good.
Well I think Tua is good QB too but there’s a difference between having Tyreek Hill and Waddle and having Lamb and Cooks. What happened to Brice Butler, Cedric Wilson, Beasley….did they leave here and get better? What about Randall Cobb?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You continued with the same crap and with the same group of "everything Jerry does is great". Now just ignore me and go get your marching orders from Amber.
Who the hell is Amber? And I never once said Jerry is great I’ve literally blamed him for everything what are you even talking about? I don’t know if yall lie intentionally or genuinely are confused.

Sydla

Reaction score
we need lamb we need a strong running game more
They tried this before. Went cheap at WR and tried to do the WR by committee paired with a run game.

It failed miserably and they had to trade for Cooper halfway through the season. That's not to say they don't need to be able to run more effectively than they have but if you gave them a great run game and then trotted out Cooks and Tolbert as your Top 2 WRs? The offense would be pretty blah.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well I think Tua is good QB too but there’s a difference between having Tyreek Hill and Waddle and having Lamb and Cooks. What happened to Brice Butler, Cedric Wilson, Beasley….did they leave here and get better? What about Randall Cobb?

starfan1

Reaction score
They tried this before. Went cheap at WR and tried to do the WR by committee paired with a run game.

It failed miserably and they had to trade for Cooper halfway through the season. That's not to say they don't need to be able to run more effectively than they have but if you gave them a great run game and then trotted out Cooks and Tolbert as your Top 2 WRs? The offense would be pretty blah.
I dont disagree see post 29 but if you are debating which is more important i get that. In 19 we had a good running game and it was atrocious so lets just say the 2 go hand in hand

starfan1

Reaction score
Tolbert, Cooks, and the other Jaylen are better than the 2019 guys.
really? what have they proven? the only one with skins on the wall is cooks and if were gonna compare receptions to say a beasley then Ill give cooks the edge but really both groups are underwhelming. and they both need a running game