Here’s why we need Earl over any other Safety

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Interceptions....hes a Ball Hawk and Cowboys have NO ONE in the secondary who can make a play and catch the ball ( Jordan Lewis is a ball Hawk but they dont play him for whatever reason)

Landon Collins great in the box, not great in cover...we need a cover safety (ball hawk) desperatley with the corners we got

Earl is basically begging to be a Cowboy, how do you pass on that????

We like our guys...

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
When healthy, he's the best free safety in the NFL. He changes EVERYTHING.

He had two interceptions against Dallas last year, and he didn't play in the playoff game. That alone would have led our team for the season.

He's the most critical free agent of all to Dallas. It's Earl or bust for the 2019 season hopes.

With all due respect, if the 2019 season is Earl or bust, how did the Cowboys recover from a 3-5 start to reach the divisional round last season without him?

Listen, I would love for Earl to be a Cowboy, but the Cowboys can upgrade over Jeff Heath without paying a 30 year old that's had multiple lower body injuries $15 million a year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect, if the 2019 season is Earl or bust, how did the Cowboys recover from a 3-5 start to reach the divisional round last season without him?

Listen, I would love for Earl to be a Cowboy, but the Cowboys can upgrade over Jeff Heath without paying a 30 year old that's had multiple lower body injuries $15 million a year.

yep. and he wouldn't have made any difference in the rams running up & down the field against the cowboys.

Number1

Reaction score
Interceptions....hes a Ball Hawk and Cowboys have NO ONE in the secondary who can make a play and catch the ball ( Jordan Lewis is a ball Hawk but they dont play him for whatever reason)

Landon Collins great in the box, not great in cover...we need a cover safety (ball hawk) desperatley with the corners we got

"begging to be a Cowboy,"

he is? at what price?

If you go look at the Rams game, and NYG, and IND ... a box safety would have helped, a lot
that would not have happened with a guy like Church in the box

personally, I'd draft someone who can do both SS and FS, preferably in the draft

moreover, if you want more TOs -then a pass rushing DT would create far more pays

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

So we are gonna pay our crappy QB who ranks out at about 20 in the league 28 million a year but cant pay the best Safety in the NFL 13 Million?

Earl Thomas almost single handedly destroyed us last year in one game
His former teammate Richard Sherman is trying to recruit Thomas to the 49ers, but he said that he thought Thomas would go to the Cowboys if all offers were even.

The Cowboys have five high priced players in need of contract extensions, so they won’t be bidding for Thomas. He wants $15 million a year, but he will settle for less and go to the 49ers. That's far from "begging to be a Cowboy". Are you sure it wasn't you begging that he'd be a Cowboy?! :muttley:

Mobinvans

Reaction score
He had his best season when he was 25.

But I'm sure he'll be even better in his 30s, especially after missing 19 games the last 3 seasons. :rolleyes:
You have missed the Dallas / Seahawks game

Hes the best safety in football dude

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
So we are gonna pay our crappy QB who ranks out at about 20 in the league 28 million a year but cant pay the best Safety in the NFL 13 Million?

Earl Thomas almost single handedly destroyed us last year in one game

What qb were you watching when Cooper arrived being so called crappy? Dak wasn't that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
As much love as Earl gets around here the sky just gets bluer by the day...
ET is a great player.
Their are other FAs less known, that would/will have a much larger impact immediately.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Respectfully, yes I would pass on ET for these 3 reasons:
1. Injuries- he has missed 19 games the last three seasons due to some pretty serious injuries. His injuries have included a shoulder injury requiring surgery, and two broken legs.

2. Age- ET will be 30 at beginning of next season. Does he have something left? Sure but we wouldn’t be getting the same guy we’ve seen since 2010. He has been in the NFL since he was 20 so he has a lot of miles on those tires.

3. Cost- if ET would agree to a one year, incentive laden contract, I would consider it. But he’s asking for top Safety money over 4 years and he’s no longer physically reliable. He’s obviously been a great player but that doesn’t mean he will be for the kind of cap space he’s demanding.
For those reasons, I would pass. Earl Thomas was a great player in his hey day, but he’s not the only guy in NFL who can make plays.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You forgot to list missed tackles.

Past 29 games (past 3 seasons for ET):

ET
Solo Tackles: 96

Heath
Solo Tackles: 110

I've said in multiple posts that I would be in favor of upgrading over Heath but Heath is a better player than most fans believe.

Heath basically played with 1 hand the last several games due to a wrist injury. They preferred him with a bad wrist due to his pass defense over Kavon Frazier whose specialty is run defense.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Past 29 games (past 3 seasons for ET):

ET
Solo Tackles: 96

Heath
Solo Tackles: 110

I've said in multiple posts that I would be in favor of upgrading over Heath but Heath is a better player than most fans believe.

Heath basically played with 1 hand the last several games due to a wrist injury. They preferred him with a bad wrist due to his pass defense over Kavon Frazier whose specialty is run defense.

Missed tackles does not equal tackles.

conner01

Reaction score
How many games has ET missed due to injury over the last 2 years? I don't care how good a player is, if he can't stay on the field he can't help you win. . .
I get the injury concerns but not all injuries are the same. A broken leg is not a injury likely to reoccur like say a knee injury or something
Every contract carries risk but ET is the best FS we have any shot at. Now if he wants 15 mil he’s not coming here but if he got realistic he could do wonders for our secondary