CFZ Here are some divisional scenarios

Sydla

Reaction score
To win the division, here are some of the most likely (but not all) the scenarios. These all assume Dallas finishes with same record as Philly. As it stands now, if we both finish 14-3, we lose the tiebreaker based on common games. And to remind everyone, order of tiebreakers is head to head, divisional record, common games and then conference record.

Dallas loses to Buffalo or Miami

- Dallas is likely dead for the division. In this scenario, we'd need need the Eagles to lose to the Giants so we would beat them out using the divisional tiebreaker. A loss to Buffalo or Miami puts us behind the Eagles in common games and we'd need them to lose both the Seahawks and Cards games so we could either finish one game clear or them or win the common games tiebreaker.

Dallas loses to Detroit

- Dallas can still win the common games tiebreaker as long as Philly loses to Seattle or the Cards. Detroit isn't a common game so a loss there isn't crushing as long as Philly loses a common game (or one of the Giants games)

Dallas loses to Washington

- Again, Dallas is likely dead. We would need the Eagles to lose one of the Giants games (or both) and then hope they lose one of the Cards or Seahawks games (while not dropping one of the Buffalo or Miami games)

Unfortunately, our two toughest games, both on the road, are games we likely can absolutely NOT lose given they are common games and Philly beat both. If we drop one of the Buffalo or Miami games, the help we would need from Philly is really, really tough.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I said in another thread, our best path to winning the division is giants beating philly. I think thats more realistic of an outcome than us winning out and the Seahawks beating them

It will allows us to be able to drop one of the next 2 and still win it

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think it’s time for my annual declaration that the NFL needs to go into a seeded conference playoff system similar to what the NBA has.

You can still have division rankings/winner but the upshot is you actually reward teams with the best records.

There’s no way a team like Tampa Bay, who is currently 6-7 and “leading” the NFC South should have a postseason advantage over us.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Here’s the most complex ending: both teams lose next week and then win out.

Philly and Dallas are both then 13-4, both have the same division record, common opponents record, conference record. Then it goes to strength of victory where KC is falling in winning%, and Miami will give Dallas a jolt as they’re very likely the AFC’s #1 seed (Baltimore has Jags-9ers-Dolphins-Steelers left).

So what decides the division may very well end up being how big the difference is between TB and Carolina’s final records. If Carolina can win a couple more games I think it’ll be really close due to Detroit vs Minnesota record differences and that KC’s record is now much closer to Los Angeles’… and Dallas beat 5 win NYJ while Philly’s counterpunch will have being beaten 2 win ARI.

Sydla

Reaction score

Philly and Dallas are both then 13-4, both have the same division record, common opponents record, conference record. Then it goes to strength of victory where KC is falling in winning%, and Miami will give Dallas a jolt as they’re very likely the AFC’s #1 seed (Baltimore has Jags-9ers-Dolphins-Steelers left).

So what decides the division may very well end up being how big the difference is between TB and Carolina’s final records. If Carolina can win a couple more games I think it’ll be really close due to Detroit vs Minnesota record differences and that KC’s record is now much closer to Los Angeles’… and Dallas beat 5 win NYJ while Philly’s counterpunch will have being beaten 2 win ARI.
Yeah there are some scenarios where you got deep into the tiebreakers.

erod

Reaction score
I think it’s time for my annual declaration that the NFL needs to go into a seeded conference playoff system similar to what the NBA has.

You can still have division rankings/winner but the upshot is you actually reward teams with the best records.

There’s no way a team like Tampa Bay, who is currently 6-7 and “leading” the NFC South should have a postseason advantage over us.
Absolutely not. Divisions aren't equal, so you can't let it be that.

Remember the Patriots when they had 6 automatic byes every year for several years?

Keep it as is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I said in another thread, our best path to winning the division is giants beating philly. I think thats more realistic of an outcome than us winning out and the Seahawks beating them

Seattle is capable of beating them but losing 3 games in a row is insane. Gonna be an interesting game though both have a lot to fight for. And im hoping Cardinals got one last fight in them. Anybody who can run on the outside and pass the football can compete with the 9ers right now.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
To win the division, here are some of the most likely (but not all) the scenarios. These all assume Dallas finishes with same record as Philly. As it stands now, if we both finish 14-3, we lose the tiebreaker based on common games. And to remind everyone, order of tiebreakers is head to head, divisional record, common games and then conference record.

- Dallas is likely dead for the division. In this scenario, we'd need need the Eagles to lose to the Giants so we would beat them out using the divisional tiebreaker. A loss to Buffalo or Miami puts us behind the Eagles in common games and we'd need them to lose both the Seahawks and Cards games so we could either finish one game clear or them or win the common games tiebreaker.

Dallas loses to Detroit

- Dallas can still win the common games tiebreaker as long as Philly loses to Seattle or the Cards. Detroit isn't a common game so a loss there isn't crushing as long as Philly loses a common game (or one of the Giants games)

- Again, Dallas is likely dead. We would need the Eagles to lose one of the Giants games (or both) and then hope they lose one of the Cards or Seahawks games (while not dropping one of the Buffalo or Miami games)

Unfortunately, our two toughest games, both on the road, are games we likely can absolutely NOT lose given they are common games and Philly beat both. If we drop one of the Buffalo or Miami games, the help we would need from Philly is really, really tough.
Thanks for putting this summary together. Much appreciated!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Seattle is capable of beating them but losing 3 games in a row is insane. Gonna be an interesting game though both have a lot to fight for. And im hoping Cardinals got one last fight in them. Anybody who can run on the outside and pass the football can compete with the 9ers right now.
I said 9ers I meant Eagles

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Divisions aren't equal, so you can't let it be that.

Remember the Patriots when they had 6 automatic byes every year for several years?

Keep it as is.
You’re literally undermining your own point.

The fact that not all divisions are equal is precisely why you do away with division seeding.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dallas loses to Detroit

If we both went 14-3, didn't you mean conference tie breaker, not common games? I think we'd be tied for common games.

Dallas loses to Miami or Buffalo. If the Eagles lose to Seattle we'd again be even in common games. But we would lose strength of victory tie breaker easily.

Sydla

Reaction score
If we both went 14-3, didn't you mean conference tie breaker, not common games? I think we'd be tied for common games.

Dallas loses to Miami or Buffalo. If the Eagles lose to Seattle we'd again be even in common games. But we would lose strength of victory tie breaker easily.
Yeah, typo. It would be conference record in the 14-3 scenario.

Reaction score

You could be right but I think Philly losing to Seattle and the Cardinals is just as likely. Depends on if Geno is back next week for Seattle.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Giants are a dumpster fire!! I seriously doubt they could pull off an upset against the egals. But, I guess strangers things have happened. :oops:

Shannon1

Reaction score

That’s what I have been saying

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Yes. Some will counter that not playing for seeding might mute division rivalries. However I dont see that being the case. I the the animus for division rivals is strong enough that it wouldnt matter