CFZ Here are some divisional scenarios

Soth

Reaction score
Giants are tanking.I bet they will draft a QB if given a chance.
This is the issue. I don't see them beating eagles even one time. The eagles essentially have 2 guaranteed wins while we have play tougher teams like Detroit.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the issue. I don't see them beating eagles even one time. The eagles essentially have 2 guaranteed wins while we have play tougher teams like Detroit.
Root like hell for the Giants tonight and next week in NO.

They are actually still in the playoff race if they win tonight and next week.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dallas is now in a one game at a time tourney. They have to win this week. Don't think about next week. Or the week after. It is play this game with a lose and go home mentality.

The 9ers play the Ravens in two weeks. They get them in San Francisco. The Ravens "MIGHT" have enough snot to stop Pretty Boy Purdy.

Just win this next game, Dallas.

The Eagles play the Seahawks in Seattle. If they are still discombobulated and have to travel across the nation, stranger things have happened.

Just win this next game, Dallas. Just win the one in front of you, Cowboys.

Now think about Dallas - as unlikely as it might seem - ending up with the number one spot in the NFC and getting a bye and all opponents come to Dallas.

Just win the next game Dallas. Don't look down the road. Just win this week, baby.

Reaction score
That's the issue right there... it comes down to crossing our fingers that we can avoid the Niners.

This is the best Cowboys team I have seen since at least 2007, but this just looks like the Niners' year.
Niners are good to be sure and the top team overall at the moment but injuries do occur. I keep thinking back to last years divisional game and how Dallas was playing against San Fran before Pollard got hurt. I think Dallas is a much better team now than last years team and a better team than what lost to San Fran earlier this year (a loss I attribute mostly towards the team still learning MM offense).

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it’s time for my annual declaration that the NFL needs to go into a seeded conference playoff system similar to what the NBA has.

You can still have division rankings/winner but the upshot is you actually reward teams with the best records.

There’s no way a team like Tampa Bay, who is currently 6-7 and “leading” the NFC South should have a postseason advantage over us.
Nope. Teams in different divisions play completely different schedules, which can be wildly different in strength. You simply can't compare them.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Niners are good to be sure and the top team overall at the moment but injuries do occur. I keep thinking back to last years divisional game and how Dallas was playing against San Fran before Pollard got hurt. I think Dallas is a much better team now than last years team and a better team than what lost to San Fran earlier this year (a loss I attribute mostly towards the team still learning MM offense).
I think Dallas is better this year. I also think SF is better than last year. SF is also the healthiest team in the NFL, and unless that changes, they'll be heavy favorites if and when we play them. And legitimately so.

Jipper

Reaction score
At this point, records be damned

Win win win win - If we get the nfce 1 seed great...if we go in as the 5th seed on a 9 game win streak...screw em, we will do it our way.

Soth

Reaction score
Root like hell for the Giants tonight and next week in NO.

They are actually still in the playoff race if they win tonight and next week.
They are in the playoff race? Don't they have like 4 wins only?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
They may not be tanking but they are terrible. I don't see how they can beat the Eagles. Our best bet are the Seahawks.
Did you see the Kyler Murray-less Cardinals beating the Cowboys?

Did you see the Aaron Rodger-less Jets beating the Eagles?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
To win the division, here are some of the most likely (but not all) the scenarios. These all assume Dallas finishes with same record as Philly. As it stands now, if we both finish 14-3, we lose the tiebreaker based on common games. And to remind everyone, order of tiebreakers is head to head, divisional record, common games and then conference record.

Dallas loses to Buffalo or Miami

- Dallas is likely dead for the division. In this scenario, we'd need need the Eagles to lose to the Giants so we would beat them out using the divisional tiebreaker. A loss to Buffalo or Miami puts us behind the Eagles in common games and we'd need them to lose both the Seahawks and Cards games so we could either finish one game clear or them or win the common games tiebreaker.

Dallas loses to Detroit

- Dallas can still win the common games tiebreaker as long as Philly loses to Seattle or the Cards. Detroit isn't a common game so a loss there isn't crushing as long as Philly loses a common game (or one of the Giants games)

Dallas loses to Washington

- Again, Dallas is likely dead. We would need the Eagles to lose one of the Giants games (or both) and then hope they lose one of the Cards or Seahawks games (while not dropping one of the Buffalo or Miami games)

Unfortunately, our two toughest games, both on the road, are games we likely can absolutely NOT lose given they are common games and Philly beat both. If we drop one of the Buffalo or Miami games, the help we would need from Philly is really, really tough.
This is why that Cards loss was so horrendous.
We lost control of our own destany.

Reaction score
I think Dallas is better this year. I also think SF is better than last year. SF is also the healthiest team in the NFL, and unless that changes, they'll be heavy favorites if and when we play them. And legitimately so.
Purdy, Deebo, and Kittle all just need to get the flu the next time they play Dallas :)