Here is a stat for ya

aikemirv

Reaction score
Just heard this. The Cowboys and the Iggles have had 4 common opponents this season. The Cowboys have outscored those opponents by 113 pts. The Eagles have outscored them by 30.

Keep telling yourself how mighty the Eagles are.

By the way, after we beat the Eagles, it wont take but 2 minutes before someone says... big deal, now beat them on the road.
All that really matters is that we did not finish the game with the Eagles we gave it away. so records and pt differential against other teams - who cares........ gotta beat Philly and/or SF - nothing else matters and SF has our number until we prove otherwise

Chuck 54

Reaction score
How you are playing at the end of the season and how you go into the playoffs (including health) are more important than playing at home or on the road. Dallas has had the top seed before and made early exits from the playoffs partly because they peaked too early and weren’t playing great at the end.

Proof

Reaction score
Why should this matter? Who is ahead in the standings means more.
it obviously does, but helps contextualize things. also this flies in the face of your “beating crappy teams schtick since those wins are all that matters

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know and expect a Philly win.
I actually think we have a good shot of beating Egirls at home . But we will still need help with them losing to overtake division. These next two weeks are critical. Go Bills and Whiners.

And splitting the series like last year won’t mean we are a better team . But based on first meeting we obviously can hang with them. In the end what happens in January will determine the narrative.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it obviously does, but helps contextualize things. also this flies in the face of your “beating crappy teams schtick since those wins are all that matters
We shouldn’t dismiss these blowout wins as meaningless. Must have those wins to place us in position for the bigger stages.

There’s only one way to dismiss these narratives . Just win in January .

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Eagirls are very much like the Vikings from last year. Vikings won bunch of close games then got beat by the Giants in the playoffs. I can see similar thing happening to the Eagirls this year.
The Eagles are probably a bit overrated this year by some but they are a very good football team. The Vikings on the other hand suck, this year and last. They are a one man wrecking crew and that’s about it….with all apologies to Hockenson…..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Just heard this. The Cowboys and the Iggles have had 4 common opponents this season. The Cowboys have outscored those opponents by 113 pts. The Eagles have outscored them by 30.

By the way, after we beat the Eagles, it wont take but 2 minutes before someone says... big deal, now beat them on the road.
I don’t think they are all that great. SF is better, but in all likelihood we needed to beat them twice (since no one else is bothering to help) to win the division this year.

I’m hoping Detroit gets the one seed, this way we don’t need to beat both SF and Philly on the road, just one, since they will either play each other in that case, or have already been eliminated.

At the South winner, then at Detroit, then at either SF or Philly is not an impossible path to the SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think they are all that great. SF is better, but in all likelihood we needed to beat them twice (since no one else is bothering to help) to win the division this year.

I’m hoping Detroit gets the one seed, this way we don’t need to beat both SF and Philly on the road, just one, since they will either play each other in that case, or have already been eliminated.

At the South winner, then at Detroit, then at either SF or Philly is not an impossible path to the SB.
I had hoped Det could get 1st seed but they are not looking like it although they have easiest schedule down the stretch.

These next 3 games ( Bills, SF & Dal) for Egirls will determine. If they win at least 2 out 3 they should get it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm sorry but how much you beat common opponents does not mean anything .......

lopey

Reaction score

Lol who cares. They beat us. Until we bear them the are the mighty eagles. The mental gymnastics some fo to “prove” the eagles are bad amazes me

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The eagles are not overwhelmingly better than the Cowboys or any of the other top teams but they are on a little bit of a magical run right now and someone has to break it. They have been on the verge of losing like 4-5 times this year but something unusual always happens in their favor and they escape with the win. Dallas on the 6 yard line with plenty of time to win and go backwards, the Chiefs WR dropping a perfectly throw TD that likely would have been a game winner, and numerous bad plays, penalties and fumbles from their opponents at the worst time leading to them escaping. Once some team breaks this cycle and plays a clean 4th quarter and wins, Philly with look very beatable come playoff time.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

If Detroit is not careful they could lose let Minnesota back into the North race. Talented offense and a stud at defensive end but their defense is bad.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Always a tough game with their recent roster build, but still don’t dread playing the E-Gals like I do the Niners. I don’t need any stats or matchup breakdowns, just know we always have a shot to beat Philly. SF? Not so sure. :banghead:

mattwill

Reaction score
Style points doesn’t matter but that Buffalo game appears to be the difference maker if it comes down to common games. Philthy lost to the Jets while Dallas lost to Arizona, that’s a wash. We need good Josh to show up in Philadelphia and bad Josh in Buffalo in a month :muttley:
It is a wash in the Common Opponent tiebreaker but it does make a difference in the Conference Record tiebreaker. But of course that only matters if the Cowboys and Eagles have the same record after Week 18.

mattwill

Reaction score
Our blowout wins against lesser opponents shouldn’t be discounted. They have been very impressive and enjoyable to watch.

But ultimately we will be measured how we do against the teams in front of us and in the playoffs.

It is what it is. Not sure why some fans struggle with the narrative. If we aren’t one of the more Elite teams meeting the hype surely everyone can accept reality.
Agreed. Stats drive fantasy football. Ultimately the games are played on the field, as Michigan and Ohio State proved yesterday.

Eagles fans are talking alot about this stat, but my response to them is the same as above ... all that matters is playing an actual game.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
True, but there is a certain consistency to this stat, and something to be learned from it. The Eagles aren't blowing-out anybody...have played way too many close games, and have been lucky (to their credit) to win all but one. Which suggests the law of averages may impose itself soon.

Mercurial Buffalo has a shot to take PHI out this weekend. I wouldn't touch that sports bet with a ten-foot pole.
all one needs to do is look at the NY Giants of last year for proof of your point. They won a ton of 3 pt or less games last year. The law of avgs showed them to be wha they are... not a good team.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Id rather take Wins and not Margins.
realy??? I never thought winning was bettre. What a cool idea.

My poiint was simple... the Iggles may be 9-1 but they simply dont worry me. The niners are a far tougher opponent IMO.

GMO415

Reaction score
How you are playing at the end of the season and how you go into the playoffs (including health) are more important than playing at home or on the road. Dallas has had the top seed before and made early exits from the playoffs partly because they peaked too early and weren’t playing great at the end.
Thanks TO for sending your QB TE and LB to Cabo before the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It makes no difference how much we outscored those common opponents, Philly still beat us and is currently 2.5 games ahead of us. They don’t pass out trophies based on margin of victory against common opponents. It’s silly that any fan would think it has a bearing on anything. I said it last year and I’ll say it again, if Philly has home field throughout the playoffs, they’ll end up in the Super Bowl.