Here's a few things for the board on Spencer

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
cboyd;1484772 said:
I knew that the coaching staff would like this guy because he was the best prospect this year to fit in the 3-4 OLB spot. He is fast off the edge and he is pretty strong too. When I compared his video coming out of college to Ware's I saw the speed they both possessed coming around the edge to sack the QB. Spencer might not be as good as Ware, but he WILL get his fare share of sacks. I also don't get the fact how people are mad that we got another OLB prospect to fit in the 3-4. Don't get me wrong I think Carpenter came on strong for us last year, but he is not the pass rusher that Ware and Spencer are. in Phillips defense you need two good pass rushers to rush the passer, and that really isn't Carpentar's strong point. Too me Carpentar fits better as an 4-3 linebacker, but if Wade Phillips can find a good spot for him that will be a bonus.

Interesting comparisons/conclusions. I don't recall seeing Ware's speed off the edge like the clips on Spencer, but then there may not have been as many referenced. Ware's speed at the pro level however has been impressive, especially on his tackles for losses. Adding Spencer to the mix though is going to make both rushers even better. Next question though is can Canty or Spears drop off and cover the fullback or H-back coming out of the backfield? It will be easy to exploit two speed rushers.

Carpenter may be better suited for ILB, as I think he has the speed to play cover at that psoition. He also should have the strength to provide good run support up the middle. I would expect Carpenter to have benefited in his off-season conditioning program. Ayodele was a great pass rusher at Purdue and Jacksonville. These four linebackers are going to stir up a lot of headaches for an offensive line.

Things are looking up for the defense that's for sure. Brady James is going to be one expensive fifth man.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It says in one of his bios that he hyper extended his knee against Notre Dame, kept playing, and had 15 tackles!

Wow

Angus

Reaction score
Ratmatt;1485005 said:
There is going to be hell to pay on opposing quarterbacks with Ware coming off one end,and Spencer coming off the other!

One, two. Buckle your shoe!

:)

Angus

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1485031 said:
Sperncer looks like a steal at #26.

I nevery thought I would actually say "thank you" to the beagles......

Over Ginn?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Next question though is can Canty or Spears drop off and cover the fullback or H-back coming out of the backfield? It will be easy to exploit two speed rushers.
In a zone blitz, I'm sure they aren't any worse than any other 300 pound lineman.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Ware has the better pure speed than Spencer. But from what I've seen of both players' college video hilites, Spencer turns the corner a tad quicker than Ware. Jerry even mentioned on draft day Spencer's impressive ability to gain an edge on the OT then quickly flip his hips and explode towards the QB. Hopefully he's able to develop a counter move which makes him effective rushing the passer attacking the OTs inside shoulder.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;1485708 said:
Ugh, thats terrible! How about the Wonder Twins! Ware can be Zan and Spencer can be Jayna!

it's just a suggestion, where's yours? guess it's Wonder Twins :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1485682 said:
as are you

Well it was YOUR idea so it's much more likely that YOU are the Gay and Unoriginal one.

Seriously, Dynamic Duo? GAY.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
g_a_y_thread.jpg

speedkilz88

Reaction score
JohnsKey19;1485677 said:
Ware has the better pure speed than Spencer. But from what I've seen of both players' college video hilites, Spencer turns the corner a tad quicker than Ware. Jerry even mentioned on draft day Spencer's impressive ability to gain an edge on the OT then quickly flip his hips and explode towards the QB. Hopefully he's able to develop a counter move which makes him effective rushing the passer attacking the OTs inside shoulder.
The way he flips his hips is impresive. From his highlights it looks like he's able to turn a much sharper corner than most other pass rushers I've seen.