News: Here's how QB Carson Wentz figures in Cowboys' draft, long-term plans

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
By Charles Robinson12 hours ago Yahoo Sports
MOBILE, Ala. – If there was any doubt about whether the Dallas Cowboys were giving North Dakota State University quarterback Carson Wentz a serious look as a high draft pick, it was dispelled Tuesday.

While Dallas didn't go out of its way to wave the Senior Bowl pom-poms for Wentz, Cowboys director of player personnel Stephen Jones had a fairly developed line of thought when it came to plucking a quarterback high in this year's draft. To put it succinctly: This isn't some mock draft fantasy. If Wentz is the right guy and right move for the future transition of the franchise, Dallas is prepared to make that decision. And if it means Tony Romo will have to spend a few years mentoring a young guy like Wentz, well, Jones thinks Romo will be a good company man. Even if that means sacrificing a high pick (and a potential instant impact player) in favor of someone who might not take over for a few years.

"That's obviously what you fight over," Jones said. "But when you look at what happened with Aaron Rodgers [learning behind Brett Favre], you look at Tony Romo sitting for three years … you look at these guys who sit and watch for three years, and then they go on and have the success that they have. You can live with that.

"You can't put your head in the sand [with Romo's health]. He's certainly had some injuries. We have to be aware of that. If we do decide to pick a quarterback fairly high, Tony's a great example of how it can serve a young quarterback well to watch for two or three or four years, whatever that number is going to be. Obviously we think Tony is our best chance to go win a Super Bowl. We think he will be that guy for the next three or four years."

Of course, Dallas learned last season that Romo isn't a guarantee, particularly with him having yet another surgery on his collarbone and turning 36 in April. The history of NFL quarterbacks suggests that two more years (and the age of 38) might be the wall. Look no further than 39-year-old Peyton Manning to see how dicey things get once that line is crossed. That alone suggests Dallas would be smart to invest a high draft pick in a quarterback now, so a smooth handoff becomes achievable by the 2018 season or earlier. It's also a gamble to think Dallas will get another shot at a top-tier quarterback before that, putting even more pressure on getting the No. 4 overall pick right.

continue reading here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s...owboys--draft--long-term-plans-043531382.html

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for the post...and this kid is kicking up some definite interest through the league. He's jumped leagues from his starting point.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt there will be any problem with Romo mentoring his successor if drafted this year. Romo has never been a "Me First" player. He puts the team first in many situations. And I think he can be a great teacher. My opinion changes with any potential successors that the team might land outside of the draft but any foreseeable difficulties might have more to do with the possible successor than Romo.

EGTuna

Reaction score
It's not up to Romo to mentor. It's up to whoever they draft to follow Romo around like a little brother or apprentice and learn the same way Romo did from Testaverde. Parcells told Romo to follow Testaverde and do whatever he does in terms of preparation; film study, workouts, etc. Romo likely took it a bit farther the last few years, but it wasn't Testaverde saying, "Hey, Romo. Follow me. You do this. You do that." It was more Romo attaching himself to Vinny, asking questions, learning by doing and such. This is the only way "mentoring" works. If a young QB comes in (and I hope he does), then it's totally, 100% on that young QB to be proactive and diligent in his learning and not expect Romo to just show him the ropes. The whole mentoring thing is a tired cliche.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's not up to Romo to mentor. It's up to whoever they draft to follow Romo around like a little brother or apprentice and learn the same way Romo did from Testaverde. Parcells told Romo to follow Testaverde and do whatever he does in terms of preparation; film study, workouts, etc. Romo likely took it a bit farther the last few years, but it wasn't Testaverde saying, "Hey, Romo. Follow me. You do this. You do that." It was more Romo attaching himself to Vinny, asking questions, learning by doing and such. This is the only way "mentoring" works. If a young QB comes in (and I hope he does), then it's totally, 100% on that young QB to be proactive and diligent in his learning and not expect Romo to just show him the ropes. The whole mentoring thing is a tired cliche.

Tired? Not in the least. It takes leadership to develop any kind of future leader...period.

CCBoy

Reaction score
On the QB he has tried to emulate:

"Growing up, I was a Vikings fan just because they were the close team. I always loved watching Brett Favre. I loved his grit, his competitiveness, his gunslinger mentality and I loved the way the guy had fun out there. You'd see him just running around throwing touchdowns and he wasn't all about himself. He's sprinting down there giving guys hi-fives and the energy he brought, I loved every minute of it."

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...s-dallas-cowboys-hunting-qb-tries-emulate?f=r

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I would fully expect Romo to mentor any high draft pick or veteran FA that comes in here. It is in his best interest to do so. If Romo misses a couple games, I am sure he wants the QB to have success and help get them into the playoffs.

Carson

Reaction score
Sign me up. I would be beyond ecstatic to draft this kid.

Spend some $$ in fa, draft the future qb and let's roll.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope this happens. No other position would I draft at #4 overall and not play him year 1 except for the QB position. Often times teams who are drafting in the top 5 will draft a QB and play them day 1 pretty much sink or swim but they do that because there is no real option. Dallas is in a situation with a 36 year old QB who should be able to produce for the next 2 or 3 years and allow a guy like wentz the time to learn and develop so that when the switch is made you have a QB with a real chance to win with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wentz is too old and played against too inferior competition.

Give me Lynch of were taking someone at 4 to sit him.

I have to say I like Lynch as well. For me there are 3 QB in this draft I would love to have Goff, Lynch and Wentz. FYI I put them in alphabetical not which one I want the most. lol

reddyuta

Reaction score
Wentz is too old and played against too inferior competition.

Give me Lynch of were taking someone at 4 to sit him.

1 year older, complete non story.the jump in competition is still a factor though.

Western

Reaction score
If Dallas takes Wentz at 4, no reason to sit him.

Romo's availability on a full-time basis for the June Mini-Camp and July training camp is always suspect.
Thus, Wentz gets practice with the 1st team offense.

If the offensive coaching staff has any ingenuity and insight, Wentz could rotate in on plays on a selective basis during the regular season.
Given Romo's health issues & propensity in taking unnecessary hits, I would expect Wentz to see playing time even on a limited basis.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I don't think the age of wentz should factor in. if he's mature and the best prospect I'd go him. He seems to be the guy everyone is talking about recently

RandyOh

Reaction score
I've been one of the few on here that has been reluctant to just say draft him at 4(or any QB for that matter). If he puts on a good performance against a stacked defense, then I will gladly shut up and join the cult of Wentz. The fact that he played against inferior football and athletic talent is the only thing that has me scared to take him. If he is not overwhelmed by the speed of defensive competition he will be playing against, Then take him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I agree with you but Romo being the kind of guy he is will help out a young QB as much as he can imo.

I think he wants to coach here after he retires and he would probably be a great QB coach considering all the skills he had to develop from where he started as a rookie until now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've been one of the few on here that has been reluctant to just say draft him at 4(or any QB for that matter). If he puts on a good performance against a stacked defense, then I will gladly shut up and join the cult of Wentz. The fact that he played against inferior football and athletic talent is the only thing that has me scared to take him. If he is not overwhelmed by the speed of defensive competition he will be playing against, Then take him.

What scares me with this line of thinking is if you're not taking into consideration that he is playing with a group of guys he's never played with in a scheme he's never played in before.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think the age of wentz should factor in. if he's mature and the best prospect I'd go him. He seems to be the guy everyone is talking about recently

Parcells always viewed that as a plus.

He wanted QB's who graduated College.

Cam Newton, and Matthew Stafford are the only QB's that have left school early that I can really remember having consistent success.