News: Here's how QB Carson Wentz figures in Cowboys' draft, long-term plans

waving monkey

Reaction score
If Dallas takes Wentz at 4, no reason to sit him.

Romo's availability on a full-time basis for the June Mini-Camp and July training camp is always suspect.
Thus, Wentz gets practice with the 1st team offense.

If the offensive coaching staff has any ingenuity and insight, Wentz could rotate in on plays on a selective basis during the regular season.
Given Romo's health issues & propensity in taking unnecessary hits, I would expect Wentz to see playing time even on a limited basis.

I dont think you do that with a franchise QB and entz would not be ready
you sit him at least two years and reap the benefits

RandyOh

Reaction score
What scares me with this line of thinking is if you're not taking into consideration that he is playing with a group of guys he's never played with in a scheme he's never played in before.

Well I'm talking more or so he doesn't shut down and panics when Noah Spence is coming around the edge or rankins and Reed collapse the pocket. If he can't handle the speed of the game against some of the top college talent then he will plummet down boards.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well I'm talking more or so he doesn't shut down and panics when Noah Spence is coming around the edge or rankins and Reed collapse the pocket. If he can't handle the speed of the game against some of the top college talent then he will plummet down boards.

I just can't put that much stock into the game itself. Practice would probably tell you more than the actual game in this case.

Just too many people trying to learn stuff on the fly.

Just imagine, you drop back to pass, receiver runs the wrong route, you get sacked, and RandyOh is now saying you can't deal with the speed of the game against top college talent because of it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You say this with such conviction.

Of course I dont know
I hope the Browns think Goff is the better player
and I hope no other team jumps in front of us and selects Wentz
I'm only sitting at a computer reading the thoughts of others
on the players. I have no special insights or experience.
So far Wentz hasn't disappointing

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dallas takes Wentz at 4, no reason to sit him.

Romo's availability on a full-time basis for the June Mini-Camp and July training camp is always suspect.
Thus, Wentz gets practice with the 1st team offense.

If the offensive coaching staff has any ingenuity and insight, Wentz could rotate in on plays on a selective basis during the regular season.
Given Romo's health issues & propensity in taking unnecessary hits, I would expect Wentz to see playing time even on a limited basis.

Rotating QB? Landry tried that it did not work and caused issues to the extent that the team went to Lee Roy Jordan so what he could go to Tom to insist he needed to choose one.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Wentz is too old and played against too inferior competition.

Give me Lynch of were taking someone at 4 to sit him.

Lynch turns 22 in roughly two weeks, which means he is only only one year younger than Wentz. Not really a noteable difference.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Parcells always viewed that as a plus.

He wanted QB's who graduated College.

Cam Newton, and Matthew Stafford are the only QB's that have left school early that I can really remember having consistent success.

No. Parcells valued number of starts.

Wentz will be 24 in December.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I just can't put that much stock into the game itself. Practice would probably tell you more than the actual game in this case.

Just imagine, you drop back to pass, receiver runs the wrong route, you get sacked, and RandyOh is now saying you can't deal with the speed of the game against top college talent because of it.
That is true but this is all we gonna get in terms of seeing him against some top tier competition. he can have all the physical tools coaches want but he aint worth none if mentally he can't process whats going on in front of him fast enough. he aint worth a premium pick if he can't (day 1 & 2 picks). Honestly just as long as he doesn't get pulled for another QB then i dont see any problem but if he drops back and and he receiver ran the wrong route then u can't label him unable to play. hell half the QB's in the NFL would end up sacked in the same situation. Just as long as he doesn't completely lay an egg. He is a developmental player that will sit 2+ years to learn(ideally). As long as he is able to make some plays in the game then hes worth it.

conner01

Reaction score
I hope this happens. No other position would I draft at #4 overall and not play him year 1 except for the QB position. Often times teams who are drafting in the top 5 will draft a QB and play them day 1 pretty much sink or swim but they do that because there is no real option. Dallas is in a situation with a 36 year old QB who should be able to produce for the next 2 or 3 years and allow a guy like wentz the time to learn and develop so that when the switch is made you have a QB with a real chance to win with.

He would be my first choice but I fear he will be first QB taken and be gone when we pick
But I agree, only a QB you can draft and sit. And I think more would benefit from it but most teams are too desperate for a QB to do it

conner01

Reaction score

It's always all about the practice in these games

Wood

Reaction score
One things that has surprised my about Wentz so far is he doesn't throw a tight ball. Broaddus was mentioning maybe some nerves were playing factor but from I have seen from live practices I think this throwing motion needs to be cleaned up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.

He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games. - See more at: http://smartfootball.com/quarterbac...g-a-quarterback#sthash.vWDKmFId.M0RuUIMJ.dpuf

So pretty much what I said.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I just hope the Cowboys do not lock in on one QB or player and bank the draft on that player.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what exactly it is that Wentz has done that has him shooting up the draft boards. For a while it was Goff and Lynch, but I'm hearing all the Wentz talk now.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It sounds to me like they are really heavily considering drafting Wentz