Twitter: Here's Stephen's statement of what they expect from the D

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed on all. Now which do you feel should be addressed in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...rounds?

Which positions are of greater need?

Would love to get a Corner with the first pick and Cushenburry the center from LSU with the 2nd pick. Then possible a WR with the 3rd.

If Chaisson or Kinlaw are there at #17 then I think you have to take them. And then move up in the 2nd round possibly to draft a corner. Then I would hope for a Center in the 3rd.

I dont think we can realistically expect to be a true contender THIS year. So I think this is a two offseason type situation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1)We didn’t have Fred last year, and only PART of Fred the year before, so how much of a shock will it really be?

2)Jarwin will catch, Bell will block

3)Cooper, Gallup, Devin Smith, a FA and/or a draft pick, Bryant, Johnson, Lenoir, Brown and whoever else can comprise a pretty damn good group.

Defensively, I’m intrigued by our potential. If Gregory and Smith come back, added to Poe, McCoy and most likely a draft pick or two, and our DL is significantly better. Add to our strong LB corps, and we’ve got a top ten front seven, which really helps our secondary. Speaking of which, we lost Jones, but gained Clinton-Dix, and we’ll probably add a draft pick or two. With a change of scheme and coaching, I expect improvement, but I’m “glass half full”.

Not getting in another argument about Looney.

You need 2 to 3 TE's and at least two blocking TE's if you are going to run the ball like we like to. Jarwin cant block so he limits us there. An all around quality TE would be great.

WR I dont consider a huge need, but nabbing a slot this year would be nice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How I envision this running is that on downs that we used to use a 4-3 with a conventional SAM, we still use a 4-3, just that the SAM could line up off-ball, or he could be up on the line as stand-up 5th DL. On nickel downs, when we bring in a 5th DB - which is a lot of downs, one of the 4 conventional DL, right now I think would be Crawford, will come off and then the SAM/DPR will come and play a more conventional style stand-up DE. So, whomever our SAM/DPR is, will hardly ever come off the field.
The pic below shows the Falcons when Nolan was the DC. 71 is the SAM/DPR - he needs to be an athlete. Clay Matthews did this for MM in Green Bay. Chaisson, Baun, Weaver, and Gregory would be my choices for this spot. If they pick Murray at #17, I think that means they are going to try Jaylon Smith at that spot - which would NOT be my first choice.
Let's say its Chaisson, - then #77 would be Crawford, although I think Aldon Smith now has the size to be that spot. Then #96 is POE, #95 - McCoy, #93 DLaw.

On nickel downs, you bring another CB or S in, and you take out #77 (Crawford) - DLAW then goes to his traditional SDE on the left side and the SAM goes to the weak side and plays as a stand-up RDE.

EV1KDuyUcAEGh73
#71 is Kroy Biermann

That alignment with 4 down linemen and Biermann is a strong run defense alignment. It's a bit like an offense running a jumbo package.

I just reviewed all of the 2014 Falcons defensive snaps vs Green Bay.

In the first half Biermann played as:
A DE in a 4 man line
A 3-4 OLB
A 3-3-5 OLB (A Nickel CB replaced the other 3-4 OLB)
In the 1st half, I don't think he played any snaps standing up with 4 down linemen.

The first snap that I recall seeing this alignment (4 DL plus Biermann) was on 3rd and 1 in the 2nd half.

Later in the 2nd half once Green Bay was up by 2 scores and started running to burn clock, then Atlanta started using a significant amount of this alignment (4 DL plus Biermann).

In 2020 the Cowboys could have a player like Randy Gregory at OLB with 4 DL.

They could also have 3 DL, Gregory standing up, Jaylon, LVE and 5 DBs (i.e. a 3-3-5 look).

Jaylon was likely playing at about 250 pounds in 2019, maybe more.

LVE was 6-4, 256 in pre-draft measurements.

Nolan didn't always replace a LB with a CB vs 3 WR sets. He often used a 3-4 look instead.

The big fronts were stronger vs the run at the expensive of (in theory) being weaker in pass defense.

One thing that Nolan did to offset the weakened pass defense was to often not have a Safety in the box.

Having both Safeties back helps pass defense. The concept also allows for having 2 FS types or even replacing a Safety with a CB.

Having off-ball LBs with above average range and coverage skills would also offset the coverage issues when using the big fronts.

With regards to specific players in 2020:
  • Gregory at OLB (stand-up DE)
  • Jaylon and Gregory as OLBs in a 3-4 looks.
  • Jaylon and LVE as OLBs in 3-4 looks (Lee and Joe Thomas as the ILBs)
  • Draft: Chaisson and Baun fit into these concepts better than as pure DEs or pure 4-3 LBs.
  • Draft: An off-ball LB with great range could fit without taking away snaps from Jaylon/LVE.
  • Safety: Xavier Woods is being moved to SS. He is smallish at SS but big fronts would help protect him.

ESisback

Reaction score
Not getting in another argument about Looney.

You need 2 to 3 TE's and at least two blocking TE's if you are going to run the ball like we like to. Jarwin cant block so he limits us there. An all around quality TE would be great.

WR I dont consider a huge need, but nabbing a slot this year would be nice.
No, not interested in another Looney argument, and another TE WOULD be nice, but I think we have more urgent needs. They did pick up Blake for blocking, and I imagine McCarthy wants to utilize the FB more. Olewale’s been taking a roster spot for 2 years, and for what? They’ve hardly used him!

Maybe they’ll nab a cheap FA vet for the slot! Fingers crossed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, not interested in another Looney argument, and another TE WOULD be nice, but I think we have more urgent needs. They did pick up Blake for blocking, and I imagine McCarthy wants to utilize the FB more. Olewale’s been taking a roster spot for 2 years, and for what? They’ve hardly used him!

Maybe they’ll nab a cheap FA vet for the slot! Fingers crossed.

Im defense first, but the guy asked me what the biggest needs were on both sides of the ball.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yes. If you look at a thread that I started last night, called new defensive formation,I showed a pic of the Falcons back from Nolan was the DC.
I wonder if they will move Crawford to that spot and let DLaw move to the weak or RDE to bring pressure from both sides. I could see that.

Nolan was DC for 3 seasons in Atlanta.

there’s a reason he didn’t get a 4th.

kskboys

Reaction score
“Bill Belichick is so great, that’s what makes me excited for McCarthy” honestly I don’t even see fluff

Nolan makes him excited because he wants the better player and he’ll scheme against offenses? This is almost nonsensically.... nothing
I was under the impression that is the definition of fluff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just as I suspected. Looks like K'Lavon Chasson or any DE will not be targeted in the early rounds of this upcoming draft.

Really? I got the total opposite out of his statements and feel even more strongly now that if Chaisson is still there, he will be the pick.