Here's what you're rooting for now

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold the last off season against him or his agent.

This team has the worst record in the NFL for overpaying and blinking during negotiations. They also make it worse by being effusive about players they're going to have to negotiate with, remember what he did during the Romo negotiation?

The Cowboys have the most players in the top 6 paid at their position and just blinked with the RB with an unheard of 2 years left and the QB was going to acquiesce? They played hard ball but they haven't lost yet, they may still get the deal they were holding out for.
CC, his agent refused to negotiate. That is squarely on Dak and his agent.

Reaction score
There were others defensive players taken later like CB’s. Or traded up or down for more picks.

Regardless, the argument wasn’t about comparing talent but addressing our greater weaknesses and making the defense more of a priority which many feel that until we do our offense alone will not be enough to meet our goals.
I know there were other defensive players available, but I’ll say it again, Chaisson was the pick if Lamb wasn’t there. Getting Lamb over him was almost like getting Zach Martin over Johnny Manzeil.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know there were other defensive players available, but I’ll say it again, Chaisson was the pick if Lamb wasn’t there. Getting Lamb over him was almost like getting Zach Martin over Johnny Manzeil.
I understand but those are popular talking points which still are disregarding the basic argument.

Thats assuming that we should have stayed in that slot and based on the next DL taken which we could argue that CB might have been the better choice in that slot. Several different possibilities and scenarios.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
CC, his agent refused to negotiate. That is squarely on Dak and his agent.
I’m not sure how certain we can be that the Joneses were totally willing to negotiate beyond their offer regardless how fair or reasonable we believe it to be.

Usually it’s up to ownership to make an offer their future franchise QB can’t refuse. Very rarely we see franchise QB’s accept Franchise Tags. I’d argue our ownership drew their line in the sand which isn’t any more favorable than Dak and his agent standing firm.

Almost as though they wanted it to play out in the media looking for public opinion to sway. And possibly were comfortable with the Tag still wanting Dak to prove himself worthy of the contract he was pursuing. That’s a risk our ownership was willing to take and it could cost them.

I’d say it already has. Most likely the Cowboys will need to move closer to his original demands which after the contracts signed last year ( like Mahomes and Watson) and probably more to come this year won’t seem as far out of line.

But we have fans that still think Dak has something to prove. If our ownership feels that then it’s time to move on. I suspect they don’t feel that way. We shall see.

Last edited: