Here's what you're rooting for now

waving monkey

Reaction score
Nobody is moving up for Trask or Jones - it's debatable whether they're even first rounders.

The real hope of a team moving up is that they think Lance is Mahomes.

Lamb wasn't a luxury pick
Zack Wilson

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Problem is we may not know what Dak is gonna do before the draft.

They need to be negotiating before the draft. If they can't get him signed before the draft, they should take a QB they like.

It will have been almost 2 years. At some point they have to accept that a contract isn't going to happen.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Dak won't sign, I'd be looking to trade immediately.

Someone needs to ask Dak why he doesn't want to be here.

Before the Rona, it looked to me like Dak was just planning on the Kirk Cousins path to riches.

Dak wouldn't sign:
2019 - Making 2mil with 3mil prior earnings, with 3 years til free agency
2020 - Making 32mil with 5mil prior earnings, with 2 years til free agency

Now Dak is supposed to sign?
2021 - Making 38mil, with 37mil prior earnings, with 1 year til free agency

With the cap dropping, and Dak's tag scheduled for 38mil, should we even franchise him? If we can't get a deal now, why would we expect to get one when he's a free agent?

If tagging Dak is just going to be a year rental, why privilege signing Dak over available free agent QBs? With the drop in cap, that could be a lot of QBs, at decent prices for a change. And maybe one of them might give us a decent long term contract. Option years.

And we'll have an early draft pick with multiple QBs considered 1st round picks.

I wanted to sign and trade *this* year. I didn't see Dak ever signing. Maybe with the Rona and his injury, that changes for Dak. But it changes for the team too.

So many advantages to moving on *this* offseason. So many advantages to getting a franchise QB on his rookie contract.

And supposedly, our HC is a QB Whisperer. Getting a cheap QB transforms a team's cap situation. Build up the *rest* of the team, and try to get a QB on the cheap.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Before the Rona, it looked to me like Dak was just planning on the Kirk Cousins path to riches.

Dak wouldn't sign:

With the cap dropping, and Dak's tag scheduled for 38mil, should we even franchise him? If we can't get a deal now, why would we expect to get one when he's a free agent?

If tagging Dak is just going to be a year rental, why privilege signing Dak over available free agent QBs? With the drop in cap, that could be a lot of QBs, at decent prices for a change. And maybe one of them might give us a decent long term contract. Option years.

And we'll have an early draft pick with multiple QBs considered 1st round picks.

I wanted to sign and trade *this* year. I didn't see Dak ever signing. Maybe with the Rona and his injury, that changes for Dak. But it changes for the team too.

So many advantages to moving on *this* offseason. So many advantages to getting a franchise QB on his rookie contract.

And supposedly, our HC is a QB Whisperer. Getting a cheap QB transforms a team's cap situation. Build up the *rest* of the team, and try to get a QB on the cheap.

The only thing McCarthy whispers to is cheeseburgers. He was a terrible hire from day one.

robertfchew

Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be specific answers. Nobody is denying Lamb was best talent at that slot.

A defensive pick didn’t have to be as contributing this season to be another important piece in a rebuilding defense moving forward.

that's how you end up with taco Charlton.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Lamb was the right pick in last year's scenario. There's now way Lamb should have been there and had he not been, the Cowboys would have gone K'Lavon Chaisson or Trevon Diggs, who they ended up getting 34 picks later (not a great read of the draft Cowboys).

That concept (too good an offensive player to pass up) could present itself again if Kyle Pitts is the by far BPA at our pick, and we can't get good value in a trade down (the Jones's are routinely beat in draft day trades).

I want defense badly but if my choices are the 3rd best CB, 2nd best LB, or a ton of uncertainty in a DT or DE, give me the game changing Pitts.

Is he THAT good in your opinion? I don't follow much college until it gets closer to draft time. Hockenson was drafted high and he seems good although lamb already has 75% of his yards, a higher ypc, and 50% of his td's even tho half lambs games have had some scrub throwing the ball.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/te

look at some of the notable names and where they were drafted. This is one of the few positions where waiting actually works imo.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Dak wouldn't sign:

You tag Dak in order to trade him. You could likely get a 1st for him. If you just let him walk, you only get a 3rd round comp pick (that likely would get wiped out by the big money free agents you acquire with Dak's cap space).

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Don’t we have to franchise tag In March before the draft ?
Yea. You can tag him and try to get a long term deal done before the draft. If it's not done by the draft you take a qb and immediately start working the phones to trade Dak. Hopefully the deal gets done early and they don't even need the tag.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You tag Dak in order to trade him. You could likely get a 1st for him. If you just let him walk, you only get a 3rd round comp pick (that likely would get wiped out by the big money free agents you acquire with Dak's cap space).
This appears to be the strategy most likely to occur. Tagging Dak and drafting a QB provides us more options.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Dak wouldn't sign:

That’s a reasonable assertion unless of course your All In with Dak which we might be. And willing to meet his demands.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea. You can tag him and try to get a long term deal done before the draft. If it's not done by the draft you take a qb and immediately start working the phones to trade Dak. Hopefully the deal gets done early and they don't even need the tag.
I’m beginning to think we cave in and meet Daks demands.

If we don’t and have to Tag him , then this is it and we draft another QB and move on.

Brax

Reaction score
Didn’t have to turn this season around. It could have been another building brick for defense .

Lamb certainly didn’t turn the season around.
You know what is funny is the same people saying a WR (at this point not sure they even picked the right WR) wasn't a luxury pick and there were no good D players are the same people who are saying to magically transform the Defense to top 10 with draft picks after paying Dak and using the #1 pick for a OL pick to protect him. they are Team builders like Jerry, we should all trust Jerry just look at this team great isn't it,.

Brax

Reaction score

If we don’t and have to Tag him , then this is it and we draft another QB and move on.
Jerry is in a corner, he has to sell the team, he will pay Dak, and try to spin hope and SB promises based on soft time garbage stats, The team will be screwed between Daks bloated contract and a Bloated MM. Look at 7-9 to 8-8 next year with lots of excuses. Jerry will not make the right call because he just can't admit he was wrong. Remember this is a good "talented" team with the "cornerstones" in place.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think a deal is already in place and will get done the first day new deals can get done. They are not going to have a repeat of last off season. The coverage wouldn't be near as good for Booger this time. He's the black hat in this.

There are just too many reasons for the Joneses to get this done not the least of which is the image of a tagged QB with his foot at a 90 degree angle fearing his career might be over. Dak Prescott is by far the most popular player on the team and that matters to Booger and not just in jersey sales.

It also became an easier sell with Cowboys with and without Prescott. They might have been 1-3 but they were a hell of a lot more fun to watch than this mess.