Hey Nors

Woods

Reaction score
Wow, the Pats are going to potentially lose quite a few quality coaches.

I suppose the same thing happened to us after our run . . . .

ghst187

Reaction score
I remember the greatest team of all time winning 3 in 4 years and going thru the same thing..losing guys who went on to become head coaches...
guys like Dave Wannstadt, Norv Turner....and lots more

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:
Has every intention of honoring his contract with Patriots. He is very close to Bellicheck. It was Bellicheck that gave him his first chance, back with Browns.

Seattle, Miami, Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran other teams that have expressed interest in offseason.
That's what HE says, but what do YOU think, Nors? Are you officially picking him to stay put through 2006?

Don't be shy because I know you usually like to predict just about anything and everything. ;)

Me...I say he bolts if offered the Seahawk President Job and the Pats don't come close or match the pay.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
That's what HE says, but what do YOU think, Nors? Are you officially picking him to stay put through 2006?

Don't be shy because I know you usually like to predict just about anything and everything. ;)

Me...I say he bolts if offered the Seahawk President Job and the Pats don't come close or match the pay.

I don't know if contractually he has any out. JMO he's not going anywhere.
Seattle might have to give Compensation to get Pioli?

I do know that Pioli has been given additional front office duties with the Andy Wozniek resignation.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kraft early on as an owner was meddling and involved in football operations.

He refused Parcells total control, had a divided scouting/coach relationship. (See Dallas 1995-2004) Now fixed - Lacewell out

He ceded totall football operations to Bellicheck. Bellicheck gave all Scouting/player personell to Pioli. Their relationship is unique. They work hand in hand. In fact the two of them sit on any and all player decision. If they both don't agree, they don't bring player. So if either has a doubt, as BB said in his own words. Best to move on then.

I think JJ should learn, go build his stadium like Kraft did. Let BP bring his guy in (the Pioli, or similar guy) and stay out of all football decisions.

Woods

Reaction score
Nors said:
Kraft early on as an owner was meddling and involved in football operations.

He refused Parcells total control, had a divided scouting/coach relationship. (See Dallas 1995-2004) Now fixed - Lacewell out

He ceded totall football operations to Bellicheck. Bellicheck gave all Scouting/player personell to Pioli. Their relationship is unique. They work hand in hand. In fact the two of them sit on any and all player decision. If they both don't agree, they don't bring player. So if either has a doubt, as BB said in his own words. Best to move on then.

I think JJ should learn, go build his stadium like Kraft did. Let BP bring his guy in (the Pioli, or similar guy) and stay out of all football decisions.

Well, BP is getting his stadium . . . .

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Not worrying about potential DC or Pioli leaving.

junk said:

Patriots promote Mangini to D-coordinator

NFL.com wire reports

FOXBORO, Mass. (Feb. 12, 2005) -- The New England Patriots promoted Eric Mangini to defensive coordinator, succeeding new Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel.

Mangini, who was the Patriots' defensive backfield coach, was pursued by Crennel and the Miami Dolphins.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.
But Patriots coach Bill Belichick, playing at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am golf tournament in California, told CBS-TV that Mangini was taking over for Crennel.

"He's done a great job for us with the secondary," Belichick said. "(He has) big shoes to fill with Romeo, but Eric's a great young coach. He's been with me for a long time; he's done a great job for our football team for the last five years."

Mangini has been credited with helping the Patriots' defensive backfield overcome injuries to starting players in the team's push to their third Super Bowl victory in four years.

In a statement released by the team, Mangini said he is thrilled to be staying with the Patriots.

"The Kraft family and Bill Belichick have treated me tremendously," he said. "This team and our players are a special group and mean a great deal to me. I look forward to putting this process behind and focusing on our offseason and the new challenges ahead."

The 34-year-old Mangini has been on the Patriots' defensive staff since 2000. He also was an assistant under Belichick with the Cleveland Browns in 1995, and moved with the team to Baltimore in 1996. Between 1997-99, he worked on the New York Jets' defensive staff.

whcarm

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Pats have giving him permission to talk to the Seahawks.

I don't think teams can get compensation for coaches or people in the personel departments anymore.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:
Not worrying about potential DC or Pioli leaving.

Patriots promote Mangini to D-coordinator

NFL.com wire reports

FOXBORO, Mass. (Feb. 12, 2005) -- The New England Patriots promoted Eric Mangini to defensive coordinator, succeeding new Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel.

Mangini, who was the Patriots' defensive backfield coach, was pursued by Crennel and the Miami Dolphins.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.
But Patriots coach Bill Belichick, playing at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am golf tournament in California, told CBS-TV that Mangini was taking over for Crennel.

"He's done a great job for us with the secondary," Belichick said. "(He has) big shoes to fill with Romeo, but Eric's a great young coach. He's been with me for a long time; he's done a great job for our football team for the last five years."

Mangini has been credited with helping the Patriots' defensive backfield overcome injuries to starting players in the team's push to their third Super Bowl victory in four years.

In a statement released by the team, Mangini said he is thrilled to be staying with the Patriots.

"The Kraft family and Bill Belichick have treated me tremendously," he said. "This team and our players are a special group and mean a great deal to me. I look forward to putting this process behind and focusing on our offseason and the new challenges ahead."

The 34-year-old Mangini has been on the Patriots' defensive staff since 2000. He also was an assistant under Belichick with the Cleveland Browns in 1995, and moved with the team to Baltimore in 1996. Between 1997-99, he worked on the New York Jets' defensive staff.

this stuff never works. Pats faulter in 05' bigtime. Linebackers are about to collect social security.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
whcarm said:
I read somewhere that the Pats have giving him permission to talk to the Seahawks.

I don't think teams can get compensation for coaches or people in the personel departments anymore.

My initial point was Pioli can't get out of his contract, not that he is trying to.
Can Pioli get out of his Pats contract to go to Seattle? interesting debate

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Nors said:
My initial point was Pioli can't get out of his contract, not that he is trying to.
Can Pioli get out of his Pats contract to go to Seattle? interesting debate
The ESPN repoort says that the Seahawks have been given permission to talk to Pioli. That being the case he can get out of his contract. If the Pats were not going to let him out of the contract they would not have given the Seahawks permission to talk to him in the first place.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88 said:
this stuff never works. Pats faulter in 05' bigtime. Linebackers are about to collect social security.

I believe the oldest defense in the league!

Is that 3 super bowls now with those 30++ crew? BB and BP value experience. Young teams just don't win.

They will draft in round 1 and 2 more LB depth or CB.
Roosevelt Colvin is now ready to take 1 of the jobs. Imagine that - a backup better than any of our starters!

Klecko groomed to take Ted Johnson's role. Dude played ILB all training camp - its insane.

FREE AGENCY LOOMS AS WELL. They cut trade Law they are $8M under cap.

whcarm

Reaction score
The Pats wouldn't give him permission to talk to the Seahawks if he couldn't get out of his contract.

Currently he is the Pats' Vice President - Player Personnel. I think the Seahawks want him to be the General Manager. That would be an upward move and the Pats couldn't stop him from taking it (at least I think that's how it works).

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Why does he want to deal with Paul Allen, Holmgrem and a team in Cap nightmare on the west coast? He's 1 year away from true free agency. Play the contract out is my call. He has a chance to win a 3rd Superbowl in a row, and 4 in 5 years in an environment he enjoys. He'll go down in history with BB. The fact we are even talking about Scott Pioli is AMAZING. Name the 31 other counterparts in the NFL that do his job?

Or take ST cash to jump into a mess?

whcarm said:
The Pats wouldn't give him permission to talk to the Seahawks if he couldn't get out of his contract.

Currently he is the Pats' Vice President - Player Personnel. I think the Seahawks want him to be the General Manager. That would be an upward move and the Pats couldn't stop him from taking it (at least I think that's how it works).

Pioli talk off limits: Dolphins can't get through
By Michael Felger/Patriots Notebook
Wednesday, December 31, 2003

FOXBORO - Scott Pioli's contract status has become the topic no one wants to touch at Gillette Stadium. But that hasn't stopped the Miami Dolphins [stats, news] from trying to get a feel for it themselves.

The Dolphins recently asked the NFL to clarify the situations of some of their general manager candidates. And according to Miami team president Eddie Jones, the Pats would have to grant Pioli permission to interview for any GM or president job - although those discussions would have to take place after the playoffs.

The Pats have maintained that they have the right to deny Pioli permission to interview based on language in his contract, even though Pioli is only a vice president and doesn't have complete personnel control.

``It would have to be a general manager or a president to be a high-ranking employee,'' Jones said, referring to the distinction laid out in the league's tampering policy. ``They can't refuse you permission unless they're prepared to step up and make him the general manager and give him the requisite authority that has to be in that (job) definition.''

Jones said the Dolphins are currently prohibited from even approaching the Pats on the matter. ``You can't talk to them,'' he said. ``You can't even ask for permission. The league sent me down a very specific message that you can not talk to Pioli until New England is out of the playoffs.''

That would seem to take Pioli out of the running, especially since the Dolphins have said they want to conclude their search soon. But Jones also implied the Dolphins could go ahead with their evaluation of Pioli without the benefit of an interview.

``It would depend on the talks with the other guys and what you felt about them compared to the (others),'' said Jones. ``You've got his resume. You know what he's done. You've talked to people, but you can't talk to him. Maybe you make a judgment based on that.''

Clearly, the support the Pats have shown coordinators Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis in their quest for head coaching jobs does not extend to Pioli and a possible GM interview. Coach Bill Belichick [news], who retains final say on personnel matters, wouldn't address the topic.

``You hear a lot of things. I'm not really interested in commenting on unfounded rumors of parachutes coming down from the sky where there is no foundation for it,'' he said. ``What other hypothetical questions do we have? If there is something specific that you want to talk about, I will be happy to talk about it.''

When asked if any team had called regarding Pioli, Belichick said: ``Are you saying somebody has? . . . Give me some facts and I will talk about them. . . . If it's hypothetical, then pass it on to something else.''

The Dolphins' first choice, former Packers GM Ron Wolf, declined to be considered yesterday.

Meanwhile, Weis and Crennel are preparing for a busy round of interviews. Crennel will have at least five in the next three days, with Chicago coming in today and Buffalo, the Giants, Arizona and Atlanta coming tomorrow and Friday. Weis will also interview with Buffalo and the Giants.

The contracts of both Weis and Crennel are up after the playoffs, meaning they will be free to shop their services not only as head coaches, but as coordinators for other teams. Weis and Crennel, who both make in the neighborhood of $500,000, are currently paid well below some of the other top coordinators in the league.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It is completely reasonable that the Pats would deny permission to a division rival to talk to their player personnel guy. Not because they want to hold Poili back but because they do not want to help a division rival. They gave the permission to the Seahawks because they are not only not in the same division but not even in the same conference.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
It is completely reasonable that the Pats would deny permission to a division rival to talk to their player personnel guy. Not because they want to hold Poili back but because they do not want to help a division rival. They gave the permission to the Seahawks because they are not only not in the same division but not even in the same conference.

Teams couldn't talk to Pioli untill season over.

No biggie - he's not going ANYWHERE this season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
The fact we are even talking about Scott Pioli is AMAZING. Name the 31 other counterparts in the NFL that do his job?
I'll give that a shot. If I really don't think I know I will guess the owner or the Head Coach, whichever I think is more likely.

Cowboys...Jerry Jones
Giants...Ernie Acorsi
Eagles...Jeffrey Lurie
Commanders...Vinny Cerato

Bears...Jerry Angelo
Lions...Matt Millen
Packers...Mike Sherman
Vikings...Scott Studwell

Falcons...Rich McKay
Panthers...Jerry Richardson
Saints...Rick Mueller
Buccaneers...Bruce Allen