Hey, Russ. Enjoyin' your 35 mil?

Flamma

Reaction score
There's good news for the NFC. Pretty much every team left has high paid quarterbacks on the books. With the exception of Chicago. So one of them has to at least get there. Only to probably lose to KC or Buffalo.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's good news for the NFC. Pretty much every team left has high paid quarterbacks on the books. With the exception of Chicago. So one of them has to at least get there. Only to probably lose to KC or Buffalo.

News to my ears. Roethlisberger, is gone; now if Rogers, Brady, and Brees come up short, I am satisfied.

Pape

Reaction score
Take note. This is what happens when you overpay your QB. Weaknesses rear their ugly heads. Especially in the playoffs.
gets even worse next season, where is take is 18% of the estimated 175m dollar cap

Flamma

Reaction score
News to my ears. Roethlisberger, is gone; now if Rogers, Brady, and Brees come up short, I am satisfied.

Well we have 4 remaining teams in the NFC. All four have a high paid QB. So one of them have to at least reach the SB.

This year Brees and Rodgers only amount to 10-11% of the cap. Not too bad. Or at least not crippling. Both will be bad next year.

Brady and Goff are at 13 - 14%. The Rams can't afford to be paying Goff that kind of money if they want to be a contender.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Pittsburgh is a better example, it shows what happens when you load up one side of the ball while leaving gaping holes on the other and lack depth.

John813

Reaction score
I think Russ isn't losing any sleep over his big contract and the recent wildcard loss.

Seattles main issue is their terrible drafting ever since striking gold with the legion of boom in day 3, years ago.

Their recent first round picks were turrible, and now they don't even have their next 2 first round picks.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Russ isn't losing any sleep over his big contract and the recent wildcard loss.

Seattles main issue is their terrible drafting ever since striking gold with the legion of boom in day 3, years ago.

Their recent first round picks were turrible, and now they don't even have their next 2 first round picks.

Both of Wilson's SB appearances came with the Seahawks having the number one defense. Without that, he's not been back.

Not dissing Wilson, just noting that their recent failures aren't all due to Wilson's big contract, they haven't kept up the defense...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well we have 4 remaining teams in the NFC. All four have a high paid QB. So one of them have to at least reach the SB.

This year Brees and Rodgers only amount to 10-11% of the cap. Not too bad. Or at least not crippling. Both will be bad next year.

Brady and Goff are at 13 - 14%. The Rams can't afford to be paying Goff that kind of money if they want to be a contender.

I don' care which one makes it to the dance; as long as they are embarrassed dancing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Both of Wilson's SB appearances came with the Seahawks having the number one defense. Without that, he's not been back.

Not dissing Wilson, just noting that their recent failures aren't all due to Wilson's big contract, they haven't kept up the defense...
Wilson is good, not great.

10 mill can buy you an awfully good D player.

kskboys

Reaction score

No one's arguing that your QB shouldn't be well paid. It's overpaying them that's the kicker that keeps you from winning.

Don't forget, Brees was mediocre for 3-4 years after signing his big contract.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No one's arguing that your QB shouldn't be well paid. It's overpaying them that's the kicker that keeps you from winning.

And what is overpaying? Judgment call, some might call Dak at $35 mil overpaid, some $40 mil overpaid, and I've seen posters here say $25 is overpaid (not many, but a few)..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The problem with Seattle is that they whiff on every draft and have a horrible head coach and management. It has nothing to do with Russ' contract.

Since 2013, the Seahawks have only made 4 first-round draft picks - Ifedi, LJ Collier, Rashaad Penny and Jordyn Brooks. There's your problem right there.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Yes, and for those who are upset at Dak wanting $40 mil, Brees held off signing that big contract until he was made the highest paid quarterback in the league by only a few hundred thousand dollars a year (if memory serves), like that was the difference between his being able to feed his family or not.

Rodgers' comments are refreshing, even if you don't like him, he has said that yes, honors and recognition DO matter. With maybe rare exceptions the "I only want the team to win" guys are lying through their teeth. You have to have a gigantic ego to play quarterback in the NFL, to just discard that and play "for the team" or "for the city" is difficult if not impossible.

If people are going to criticize Dak for asking for top dollar, fine, but do it for everybody that asks for it, not just Dak....

Flamma

Reaction score

Yes, and for those who are upset at Dak wanting $40 mil, Brees held off signing that big contract until he was made the highest paid quarterback in the league by only a few hundred thousand dollars a year (if memory serves), like that was the difference between his being able to feed his family or not.

Rodgers' comments are refreshing, even if you don't like him, he has said that yes, honors and recognition DO matter. With maybe rare exceptions the "I only want the team to win" guys are lying through their teeth. You have to have a gigantic ego to play quarterback in the NFL, to just discard that and play "for the team" or "for the city" is difficult if not impossible.

If people are going to criticize Dak for asking for top dollar, fine, but do it for everybody that asks for it, not just Dak....

They criticize Dak because they don't believe he's worth what Rodgers and Brees make. You wouldn't pay the cashier the same as the store manager, would you?

kskboys

Reaction score

I do.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They criticize Dak because they don't believe he's worth what Rodgers and Brees make. You wouldn't pay the cashier the same as the store manager, would you?

That's not the point of my post, it was that other quarterbacks have to be the top money earner even though they say "It's not about the money".

But it is, 99% of the time. As I was taught in management class in college, many people who aren't happy with in their job complain about the money, but in most cases it isn't the money, it's lack of recognition, etc. That's why you give people "promotions" to things like "Assistant to the assistant...", even with no or very little raise in pay, and they're happy as a clam.

But those people aren't getting top dollar or millions of dollars, or are in the most important position in the company, similar to quarterback in the NFL.

Just saying that what people say and what they really think aren't always the same...

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
That's not the point of my post, it was that other quarterbacks have to be the top money earner even though they say "It's not about the money".

But it is, 99% of the time. As I was taught in management class in college, many people who aren't happy with in their job complain about the money, but in most cases it isn't the money, it's lack of recognition, etc. That's why you give people "promotions" to things like "Assistant to the assistant...", even with no or very little raise in pay, and they're happy as a clam.

But those people aren't getting top dollar or millions of dollars, or are in the most important position in the company, similar to quarterback in the NFL.

Just saying that what people say and what they really think aren't always the same...
I've seen this type of thing many times over.

True Story: When I first started my business, I once told an employee(a very good employee) that it wouldn't be that hard to replace him. The kid almost cried. Dude was depressed for like a week. I finally realized how stupid I'd been, and told him he was irreplaceable. Not only was he suddenly bright and happy, his production tripled. Lesson learned for me.