Hey ZONERS, Your Vote Can Help

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
About a month ago I started a weekend job with MaxPreps.com, a high school sports website owned by CBS Sports.

Every Friday night I cover a game around Dallas and upload a highlight video to their website. I get paid to do this, which is really awesome (you’re going to pay me to tape football games??) but they added another incentive to increase competition between the videographers – a $5,000 grand prize to the winner!

The winner is determined by a ranking system. The rankings are weighted 34% to MaxPreps (based on the quality of the video, the teams, the games, etc. – I’m currently ranked 4th out of 40+) and 66% on fan voting (I’m currently ranked 7th out of 40+).

Combining the two, I’m currently ranked 4th overall.

All of the money I’m getting from this job is going towards new equipment so I can do more video projects like this, with the hope that in a few years I can do this full time. I could really use the prize money and would love to win this competition.

So, would you vote for a fellow ‘Zoner? :D

You can only vote once a day, but you can vote every day throughout the season. That may be too much to ask to do it every day, but there are no forms to fill out, and you don’t have to register – all you do is click a button, and the process takes only 15 seconds from the time you visit the website till you vote. Maybe you could bookmark the page and vote when you visit CowboysZone.

But even if you don’t want to vote, if you’re a high school football fan I would recommend you check out the website. There are interns in over 25 states, so someone is probably covering games in your area.

Please check it out: http://www.maxpreps.com/intern (I’m the only Dallas video intern). To vote, click on my link on the left side of the page. The [Vote for Me] button is just to the right of my picture.

By the way, I will say upfront I am not liable for any damages to your computer if my picture breaks it. ;)

Also, keep in mind that since I’ve started working at MaxPreps I have been asked to videotape AFL tryouts at Texas Stadium, where I met coaches and players on the Dallas Desperados, former Cowboys special teams coach Joe Avezzano (owner of the AF2 Corpus Christi Sharks), and actually saw Quincy Carter (but he wasn’t trying out). If I’m able to continue working in sports, your vote may help me get insider info that I could then provide to this board. ;)

Criticism of my videos of any kind is welcome – I know my limitations very well, so you’re not going to hurt my feelings. Plus, I have 15-20 more videos to do this season, so there is definitely room for improvement. So please, fire away.

Thank you!

Aron aka Mavs Man

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
can I really just keep voting over and over again? Seems that way.

If so, you have about a dozen more votes now. :D

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;1654042 said:
can I really just keep voting over and over again? Seems that way.

If so, you have about a dozen more votes now. :D

Huh, that's odd. It's supposed to block your ip address from voting multiple times in a single day.

My wife told some people she worked with, but only one person at her job can vote per day. I'm no computer guru, but I'm guessing they have the whole office on a proxy server or something where everyone appears to have the same ip address.

Oh well, thanks for the votes! :D

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Quick update: I had 44 votes when I first posted this thread - two days later I have 109 votes, have moved up from 7th place to 5th place in fan voting, and am only 30 votes away from being in 4th place.

Thank you all for your support! :thumbup:

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
I'll vote, but, MORE H.P. SCOTS!!! ;)

Dutch Crews, what a great name for a QB!

GO SCOTS!

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1657464 said:
I'll vote, but, MORE H.P. SCOTS!!! ;)

Dutch Crews, what a great name for a QB!

GO SCOTS!

Yeah, he had 4 TDs in the game I covered. I'm certain I'll be going to another HP game later this year, it just might not be until the playoffs. If I do before then it'll be in mid-late October.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1657487 said:
Yeah, he had 4 TDs in the game I covered. I'm certain I'll be going to another HP game later this year, it just might not be until the playoffs. If I do before then it'll be in mid-late October.

Yea, they're rollin'. They always seem to replace one good QB w/ another. Randy Allen is a hell of a coach, plus, he has a pretty snappy sideline look, if I do say so myself. ;)

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1657510 said:
Yea, they're rollin'. They always seem to replace one good QB w/ another. Randy Allen is a hell of a coach, plus, he has a pretty snappy sideline look, if I do say so myself. ;)

I like the hat. Very old school look to it.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Technical Question for IT CZers: A bunch of guys at work noticed that they can't vote. If one person votes, then no one else in the office can (they get the message 'You have already voted for today' even if they haven't voted yet). But each computer has a different IP address - could MaxPreps be blocking the subnet IP address?

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1658014 said:
stupid cookies. I can only vote once. :banghead:

That's the thing. I don't think that's how they do it. If you erase your cookies, it still blocks more than one vote a day. It also blocks votes from multiple users on a network, even if they're using two different computers.

But, thanks for the vote!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
C'mon people, it's a travesty that this site has thousands of members and he only has 129 votes with a few guys here voting multiple times for him.

He contributes here so that should be good enough to get some votes but if it isn't, check out his work...it's good enough to warrant your vote even if he wasn't a poster.