Highly recommend listening to Irvin Show on ESPN tomorrow

VACowboy

Reaction score
peppersquad;2164609 said:
This is just wrong. The Ticket atleast doubles the audience of ESPN across the board. No matter the time slot either.

I don't know about numbers or percent of content anything, but I don't listen to the Ticket because most of the hosts act like stupid, horrny school boys. Just my opinion.

Tovya

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2164625 said:

For the 25-55(?) male demograph is what I was referring to which is what advertisers pay attention to in sports marketing.

Regardless of what the precise numbers are, it's not a double listener base at all (which even Arbitron's site shows).. and KESN has been eating away at the prime demographs over the last year.

Tovya

Reaction score
VACowboy;2164619 said:
I don't know about numbers or percent of content anything, but I don't listen to the Ticket because most of the hosts act like stupid, horrny school boys. Just my opinion.

I second that. I listen to it all day, and I work from my house and my kids are around during this time... they can actually listen to ESPN radio most of the time, but there is no way that I'd let them listen to The Ticket... too many NC-17 (that really border on X rated) conversations, and they are too young to explain the sexual topics they discuss over at the Ticket.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yeah ... dominating the Dallas airwaves for over 10 years. Winning Marconi Awards for the Nations best radio station. Man, The Ticket sure is struggling with their formula. I don't know why they don't change it 100% sports 100% of the time. I'm just dying for 8 more hours of Brett Favre talk. I can't get enough of it.

Rackat

Reaction score
I listen to ESPN. They actually talk sports. I like the personalities on both stations, but personality doesn't give me the sports news.

Tovya

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2164661 said:
Yeah ... dominating the Dallas airwaves for over 10 years. Winning Marconi Awards for the Nations best radio station. Man, The Ticket sure is struggling with their formula. I don't know why they don't change it 100% sports 100% of the time. I'm just dying for 8 more hours of Brett Favre speculation. I can't get enough of it.

I'd rather listen to 8 hours of Favre talk than 8 hours of booty-call talk any day. I listen to sports radio because I expect to hear sports discussions when I flip it on. If I wanted to hear talk about scantly clad women and sexual subjects for half of the day, I'd turn the dial to Playboy radio on XM.

Either way, to each his own. The discussion was never really intended to say that The Ticket doesn't have a listeners base, it was a simple statement of fact that the Ticket isn't crushing ESPN Radio nearly as bad as the one gentleman had posted earlier.

The implication of the comment was that the Michael Irvin show doesn't get as much fanfare because he's on ESPN radio and not the ticket (where according to him all the listeners are).

ESPN is the most recognized name in sports media, and he stands a far better chance at wide range syndication with them than with anybody else. ESPN dominates the television when it comes to sports, and Michael Irvin is also a regular guest on ESPN programs, so it only makes sense that ESPN is good for his career.

If he wants to make a new show called, "The Michael Irvin Booty-Hour" then by all means he should jump ship because he'd fit in wonderfully over at The Ticket.

Rackat

Reaction score
Tovya;2164672 said:
I'd rather listen to 8 hours of Favre talk than 8 hours of booty-call talk any day. I listen to sports radio because I expect to hear sports discussions when I flip it on. If I wanted to hear talk about scantly clad women and sexual subjects for half of the day, I'd turn the dial to Playboy radio on XM.

<snip>

If he wants to make a new show called, "The Michael Irvin Booty-Hour" then by all means he should jump ship because he'd fit in wonderfully over at The Ticket.
I agree, the first 5,000 times I heard "I have a name for my (male anatomy)" it was funny. But as soon as I heard the 5,001st time it ceased to be so hillarious.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Tovya;2164648 said:
I second that. I listen to it all day, and I work from my house and my kids are around during this time... they can actually listen to ESPN radio most of the time, but there is no way that I'd let them listen to The Ticket... too many NC-17 (that really border on X rated) conversations, and they are too young to explain the sexual topics they discuss over at the Ticket.

"Eureka!!!" Proclaimed Archimedes.

Your kids aren't SUPPOSED TO be listening dude! How hard is that to get?

Weird that you bring up demographics in your last dozen and a half posts, yet squack about your kid's not being able to listen? If the site had a double take smiley, I'd insert it here.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ESPN is the most recognized name in sports media, and he stands a far better chance at wide range syndication with them than with anybody else. ESPN dominates the television when it comes to sports, and Michael Irvin is also a regular guest on ESPN programs, so it only makes sense that ESPN is good for his career.

I guess the difference is that I would rather poke my eyes out with skewers than listen to ESPN's brand of "sports". I never watch Sportscenter, and I think ESPN has pretty much singlehandedly ruined sports journalism.

I don't consider their "sports" to be sports anyway. It's all sensationalized and personality based. Just grab any story on TMZ or Perez Hilton and replace Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears names with Barry Bonds or Brett Favre, and you have ESPN. It's all about heros, villains and hype.

I enjoy numbers and statistics (which is why I would take Bob Sturm or Norm Hitzges' sports knowledge over anyone in the Dallas media, by a large margin). Statistical analysis is like kryptonite to ESPN. They pride themselves in being "the REAL sports channel" but they openly mock people who are into fantasy leagues, the draft, statistics or things like training camp as "sports nerds". They call anyone who follows the draft past the 2nd round as a loser. The Ticket covers all 7 rounds of the draft live. Which is the real sports channel?

The Ticket talks about a sports subject for 30 minutes and then moves on to a new subject. ESPN talks about sports for 30 minutes, and then recylces the same topic spouting the exact same opinions for the next 24 hours until it's all just a wall of whitewashed sound.

Tovya

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2164686 said:
"Eureka!!!" Proclaimed Archimedes.

Your kids aren't SUPPOSED TO be listening dude! How hard is that to get?

Weird that you bring up demographics in your last dozen and a half posts, yet squack about your kid's not being able to listen? If the site had a double take smiley, I'd insert it here.

Right, to each his own... you want to listen to genitalia references and sexual innuendos all day and I want to listen to sports talk... so we choose our stations to our own liking.

My kids love sports, and want to listen to sports radio. Therefore I choose the radio station that allows my kids and I to listen to sports talk that is family friendly. Demographics have nothing to do with that... decency for my children is all that I care about at the end of the day.

Therefore, who says KIDS are not supposed to listen to sports radio? I've never actually heard that rule. My kids can watch movies as long as I properly filter their selections, and my children also have the right to listen to the radio as long as I do the same with that avenue.

Are you just looking to argue with me? Or is their a point to what you are implying?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Cbz40;2164136 said:
RC...Thanks for the heads-up

RC, Thanks from me too. Today is the first time that I've listened to his show. I like it.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Tovya;2164693 said:
Or is their a point to what you are implying?

Well, honestly, I thought I already made my point? But since the box seems to be full, I won't waste anymore time.

Jake0

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2164692 said:
I guess the difference is that I would rather poke my eyes out with skewers than listen to ESPN's brand of "sports". I never watch Sportscenter, and I think ESPN has pretty much singlehandedly ruined sports journalism.

I don't consider their "sports" to be sports anyway. It's all sensationalized and personality based. Just grab any story on TMZ or Perez Hilton and replace Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears names with Barry Bonds or Brett Favre, and you have ESPN. It's all about heros, villains and hype.

I enjoy numbers and statistics (which is why I would take Bob Sturm or Norm Hitzges' sports knowledge over anyone in the Dallas media, by a large margin). Statistical analysis is like kryptonite to ESPN. They pride themselves in being "the REAL sports channel" but they openly mock people who are into fantasy leagues, the draft, statistics or things like training camp as "sports nerds". They call anyone who follows the draft past the 2nd round as a loser. The Ticket covers all 7 rounds of the draft live. Which is the real sports channel?

The Ticket talks about a sports subject for 30 minutes and then moves on to a new subject. ESPN talks about sports for 30 minutes, and then recylces the same topic spouting the exact same opinions for the next 24 hours until it's all just a wall of whitewashed sound.

Ok maybe I'm missing something here but... when I tune into the ticket, they're the ones that are actually TALKING ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT rather than sports. Listening to GAC when I'm driving home isn't the greatest but it's always better than what's on the ticket, at least when I've tried listening to it. If you are actually talking about the entertainment industry rather than sports, which truly is the real sports station?

Just like to add that I hate the herd so much, I think I just listen to music rather than that 90% of the time if I'm driving in the mornings now.

Tovya

Reaction score
Jake0;2164707 said:
Ok maybe I'm missing something here but... when I tune into the ticket, they're the ones that are actually TALKING ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT rather than sports. Listening to GAC when I'm driving home isn't the greatest but it's always better than what's on the ticket, at least when I've tried listening to it. If you are actually talking about the entertainment industry rather than sports, which truly is the real sports station?

Just like to add that I hate the herd so much, I think I just listen to music rather than that 90% of the time if I'm driving in the mornings now.

Yeah, I hate 'The Herd' too... he's a real jack-star... kind of reminds me of Jim Rome.

Luckily, when I get up and getting going, Mike & Mike are on, and I love those guys.. they keep me cracked up most of the time.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jake0;2164707 said:

I guess I just don’t get where “the ticket never talks sports”.

I came into work this morning and Mickey was giving his Ranch Report, which I recapped.

Then Norm came on, immediately talked Cowboys. He went in depth breaking down who he thinks who makes the 53 man roster AND our practice squad. Then he fielded calls about the Cowboys. Then he started talking Rangers and I tuned out.

Tuned back in … BAD is talking Cowboys. Went to lunch. Came back from lunch and they are taking calls about the Cowboys.

Do they talk about pop culture things? Absolutely ( so do the other channels, just not very well), but they talk sports a good deal, and I find their sports talk is much more in depth and interesting for the hardcore sports fan than just hammering on the lead story du jour (Favre, Barry Bonds, Steroids) for 8 hours straight. And it's all local. They don't cut away to Cowherd or Tirico or Dan Patrick or Steven A Smith or whoever the Feature ESPN shill of the day is.

gocowboys25

Reaction score
viman96;2164228 said:
Is his show available on a podcast?

If you go to the link posted and go to the cowboys section about half way down the page it'll say "also see" and they have the podcasts available. I hope that helped answer your question. :starspin

QT

Reaction score
Great talk with James Washington on the Irvin show. Talking about when they were winning championships and being held accountable for mistakes made (49ers loss).

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
QuanTran;2166585 said:
Great talk with James Washington on the Irvin show. Talking about when they were winning championships and being held accountable for mistakes made (49ers loss).

Yep, it is good stuff. Talking about a lot of what Wade emphasizes: Trusting your teammates and being accountable to them. Like James said, he didn't play for his coaches or for the so-called pundits... He played for his teammates.

I'm glad he's going to speak to the DBs about everything from watching film to leadership.

And Martellus Bennett is on 103.3 with Mosley right now, and man, he's a trip. He reminds me a little of Jason Ferguson, only crazier... Maybe Cricket Anderson... I'm LMAO right now. :laugh2: