Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4957481 said:
kiffin not implementing his cover 2 scheme sounds like it has FAIL written all over it

why bring him in at all?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
intelmax;4957482 said:
well i feel a little better now, but still hes 73...

Plenty of older guys in the NFL, & I am sure Jerry & Jason are trying to stay away from the guys looking to build their resume for a Head Coaching job...

intelmax

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;4957506 said:
Or maybe he adjusts the D to the players strengths. That would be shocking I know! Maybe that is why he invented the cover 2 in the first place. Hugh Hefner is older and nobody says he can't keep up with the youngsters. Just ask his wife :)

Still would rather have Kirby smart :/

bounce

Reaction score
Risen Star;4957475 said:
Do people actually doubt Ware can play DE?

If they do, they're ridiculous. I'd love to have Ware pin his ears back and go after the QB on every down.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
RGKN33;4957499 said:
well washington sure ate him up in which he basically played re even though i give him the benifit of the doubt for being injured .
My issue with ware is his containment , he over-pursues alot which hurts us so much in the run game .

4-3 allows the DL to go all out and rush the passer forget that contain bs . That's why you have 3 awesome LBs who can fly to the football ( in 4-3)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4957501 said:
How far away is he? I'm guessing he's within 20.
Kevin Greene with 160.0, which is 3rd all time. LT is 2nd as a LB with 132.5. Ware is 5th among LBs and has 111.0. Rickey Jackson and Derrick Thomas are 3rd and 4th.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4957494 said:
Rafael Vela ‏@CowboysNation1
The ageism against a Kiffin hire amuses me. Some people want Crennel. He's 65. Tom Coughlin 66. Are they too old?

I think it's funny, too. People think the game has passed these guys by, but there's no evidence it has. Sometimes a little wisdom and know-how should be treasured.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Risen Star;4957475 said:
Do people actually doubt Ware can play DE?

I don't get it either. I guess people have so little regard for Demarcus Ware as a football player that they don't think he can make a transition that Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Chris Doleman and untold numbers of guys who couldn't hold DeMarcus Ware's jock have made before.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4957512 said:
I don't necessarily think he's too old, but at that age I think those six or seven years can make a big difference.

Dick LeBeau is 75, he must of lost the fire 3 years ago too...oh wait that's right his defense played in the SB in 2008 and 2010.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4957494 said:
Rafael Vela ‏@CowboysNation1
The ageism against a Kiffin hire amuses me. Some people want Crennel. He's 65. Tom Coughlin 66. Are they too old?

All this age stuff is really getting on my nerves.

First it was Brent is too old to be commenting on a beautiful female, now this guy is too old to be DC. Now I'm nowhere near that age, but some people are 73 when they are in their 40s.

Age isn't chronological, its mental. If he can't mentally handle it, he shouldn't get the job, but chronological age has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of younger guys we could hire that aren't mentally capable of doing the job.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bluestang;4957534 said:
Dick LeBeau is 75, he must of lost the fire 3 years ago too...oh wait that's right his defense played in the SB in 2008 and 2010.

I already said I don't think he's necessarily too old. :rolleyes:

But not everyone is Lebeau. Those years made a big difference to Parcells. I know people personally who changed a lot in that time.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Hostile;4957529 said:
Kevin Greene with 160.0, which is 3rd all time. LT is 2nd as a LB with 132.5. Ware is 5th among LBs and has 111.0. Rickey Jackson and Derrick Thomas are 3rd and 4th.

I still can't believe he racked up 111 in 8 years.

It's gotta be next to impossible to do something like that. It's easy to say JJ Watt has the potential but you never know these days.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
RGKN33;4957499 said:
well washington sure ate him up in which he basically played re even though i give him the benifit of the doubt for being injured .
My issue with ware is his containment , he over-pursues alot which hurts us so much in the run game .

Say what again? How do you figure? He didn't play end he didn't play his hand on the ground. He played OLB and he didn't read the run option the right way which most teams had an issue with. Obviously when he goes to end he will have different responsiblities. I wouldn't call Ware having a bad game where the other team designed to attack him due to his injury a "problem" or an "issue" I would say the other team did a damn good job at exploting the "injury". The guy is a smart football player and I would bet that this over pursing thing is a myth based off those 2 games. He has always been very good as a run stopper. Maybe not as good as Spencer, but than again they have different responsibilities in the 3-4.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
intelmax;4957518 said:
Still would rather have Kirby smart :/

If he was really "Smart" he would keep coaching in Alabama. That's the best job in football :)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
CoachHodnett;4957469 said:
@clarencehilljr: Per a source, if Kiffen comes to Dallas..he will not force cover 2 scheme in secondary..will let Carr and Claiborne do what they do best

@clarencehilljr: Kiffen talked to Garrett and Jones at Valley Ranch today, believes Dware can play end. Whats true is you won't see him in coverage anymore

@clarencehilljr: Cowboys believe in Kiffen's NFL track record not his struggles in the college game..two different games.

So, what do they do "best"?

I assume, "man-to-man" coverage? I hope they are up in the wr's face vs 10 yds back.

honyock

Reaction score
If the media reports are to be believed, Kiffin wants back in the NFL, he's told KC no, and now he's assuring JJ and JG that he'll let Carr/Claiborne do what they do best. Sounds like someone who wants this job.

At this point, I'll be surprised if this DOESN'T happen.