Hindsight on the decisions on defense

sweetness0986

Reaction score
Letting Carr, Claiborne, Church and Wilcox go. I get that these guys weren't all pros but that's a lot of key players to lose at once in the secondary. Wish we could have worked out a deal to keep one of Carr/Claiborne instead of Nolan Carroll (he's truly terrible) and one of Church/Wilcox. It was evident today that it's going to take time for the rookies to get up to speed and those guys are missed out there, as much as this board liked to call them all jags. Not every player is going to be a HOFer but you don't just implode a secondary that was a part of a 13-3 season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They made the right decision. The guys they have now they feel have a higher ceiling in this defense...and I tend to agree. These guys are going to look bad out here. Its going to happen. Tapper, Jaylon, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Taco.......this was always going to happen. Fans didn't expect it or see it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And FYI.....they would've looked just as bad as everyone else did. This was one of those collective efforts.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Dallas has to invest in real Safety talent, the roster is full of guys from Louisiana Tech, Central Michigan, Saginaw Valley State and Connecticut! Why no SEC, ACC or other big school Safeties on this roster.....

Bizwah

Reaction score
They made the right decision. The guys they have now they feel have a higher ceiling in this defense...and I tend to agree. These guys are going to look bad out here. Its going to happen. Tapper, Jaylon, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Taco.......this was always going to happen. Fans didn't expect it or see it.
Agreed.

You have to expect rookies and second year players to take their lumps. I think we'll be a better defense later in the season.

RS12

Reaction score
Stop with last years DBs. Everyone of em was an over paid, non play making, stiff. Score would have been no different if they were here. Just more strain on the cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed.

You have to expect rookies and second year players to take their lumps. I think we'll be a better defense later in the season.

It will eventually pay off. But I don't think that will be this year. Its why they signed a guy like Carroll.....it will hurt now. It will look ugly. But it will pay off in the long haul.

Gaede

Reaction score
Wouldn't matter they still would of played 10 yards off the LOS making it easy to play catch underneath.
Exactly.

This defence will always play like this. Marinelli eill not suddenly do anything different
They rely on the DL to stop the run and he LBs to tackle well. Neither did those things tonight

Sydla

Reaction score
Carroll was a waste of money.

The fact they spent multiple offseasons trying to land him makes me question their scouting abilities at defensive back. Throw in the Jones selection in the first round and hmmmmmm..............

sweetness0986

Reaction score
Agreed.

I definitely expect it will take time to come into their own and they will make mistakes, but there is no one to lead out there. Everyone looks out of place like a chicken with their head cut off.

kevm3

Reaction score
It was a bad choice IMO. You don't let your whole secondary go and replace them with all rookies. The secondary is a position that takes a while to really learn and become competent at. You let a couple of guys go, but you keep a couple of them there.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Other than Church, nobody could stand the secondary last year.

The Cowboys, 14 years post Darren Woodson, still don't have an above average safety. Jeff Heath wouldn't start for anyone, Byron Jones hast done anything to warrant a 2nd contract. Safety still a HUGE issue.

The corners? Claiborne was as fragile as they come. Brandon Carr never made a play, he was durable. Chidobe Awuzie seems to pull a hammy getting off the team bus.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
And FYI.....they would've looked just as bad as everyone else did. This was one of those collective efforts.
When did the defense look THIS terrible last season? There was one game in the regular season that the opposing team scored 30 points. One game. People here seriously undervalue what that group did last year.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Just call it what it is - a rebuilding year.

Noclaf

Reaction score
We will be fine. take some time for this secondary to gell. Relax it is only one game guys.
One game and they looked totally and complete out classed. It wont get better trust me, get ready for 5-11