Hindsight on the decisions on defense

Doomsay

Reaction score
Carroll was a waste of money.

The fact they spent multiple offseasons trying to land him makes me question their scouting abilities at defensive back. Throw in the Jones selection in the first round and hmmmmmm..............
Their defensive FA' scouting has been mostly laughable for years. Carroll is the unfortunate punchline.

Last edited:

sweetness0986

Reaction score
Stop with last years DBs. Everyone of em was an over paid, non play making, stiff. Score would have been no different if they were here. Just more strain on the cap.
Have you looked at the scores of our games last year?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When did the defense look THIS terrible last season? There was one game in the regular season that the opposing team scored 30 points. One game. People here seriously undervalue what that group did last year.

When did the offense look this bad last season?

reddyuta

Reaction score
To me its the Scheme,whoever we play will be limited because of Marinellis scheme..

sweetness0986

Reaction score
When did the offense look this bad last season?
I'm not talking about the offense. I'm talking about getting rid of 4 starters in a secondary that held most teams to under 20 points and not having viable, ready replacements.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you look at our FA scouting on defense............... its not pretty. Thornton? We cut him. Carroll? Total waste. Mayowa? He's a backup DE at best. Irving is a decent pick up if he can stay off the PEDs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Letting Carr, Claiborne, Church and Wilcox go. I get that these guys weren't all pros but that's a lot of key players to lose at once in the secondary.
They weren't key players. They didn't fit the defense and needed to go especially at their overpaid salary.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I think that letting the secondary guys go in free agency was the best move. good defenses start up front. we do not have a good up front defense right now so no sense in spending a lot of money on corners.

Sydla

Reaction score
They weren't key players. They didn't fit the defense and needed to go especially at their overpaid salary.

And we brought in guys who fit the defense supposedly, like Carroll.

That was a waste of money.

In reality, we shouldn't have expected much............. when you shop in the defensive garbage bin and pull out guys like Carroll, how can you seriously expect improvement on defense? Essentially, I guess they were counting on the rookies to make an impact.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Dallas has to invest in real Safety talent, the roster is full of guys from Louisiana Tech, Central Michigan, Saginaw Valley State and Connecticut! Why no SEC, ACC or other big school Safeties on this roster.....
Absolutely.

There's a really strong correlation between great safety play and post season success.

And there's actually a lack of good safeties in the league, so having one is a bigger edge than people seem to realize.

When one becomes available, you take him.

kevm3

Reaction score
We can say these rookies have a ceiling as high as the clouds, but the problem is they are still rookies and the corner position takes a while to play. You also need cohesion on the back end with guys working together. You cannot have that cohesion if the majority of your secondary are rookies and new guys. Unless some miracle happens where these guys just gel like never before, I fully expect them to get super spanked against some of the better offensive teams in the league, at no fault of their own. Trevor Siemian did this to them, so imagine what rodgers, brady, ryan or carr could do.

The FO got cocky with their drafts and felt like we could staff the secondary with newbies and not get newbie results.

Bluestang

Reaction score
We need a quality safety i.e. Landon Collins. This scheme relies on that type of player and neither Byron Jones or Jeff Heath fit that mold.