Hip drop tackles will be a topic of discussion amoung league officials next week

FanofJerry

Reaction score
How long has hip drop tackling been coached? Four decades back, I was taught to square up the ballcarrier and tackle by running through your guy, which takes his legs away.

Was hip drop tackling happening as often as it is now in the 1980's and before? Back when the player safety rules of today did not exist? Just asking because I do not remember many tackles where tacklers just dropped their entire weight on the back of legs. I mean it was definitely 'no holds barred' than now but the number of broken legs and ankles did not seem to happen as often as now. Wished there were specific injury statistics that could be reviewed on the topic.

My auto-response used to be 'You got JACKED UP!' after some tackles. Now I watch guys grab, slide down and twist a ballcarrier down and often wonder if something broke. And then be not surprised if it does happen.
Its easy to avoid but it goes against the narrative so there will be more posters defending it even though its not reasonable. Odd isnt it...if this is all supposed to be real...posters defending negativity?! In a World where Good Prevails and we so many freaking Heros...sure is a lot of defending negative behavior lol.

Makes total sense.

Notice how all these strong gangs dont fight each other...they steal from small countries. Its chicken s h e e t. Not Hero s h e et.

conner01

Reaction score
1) I would think players would be FOR as much player safety as possible
2) I would think we can do it without making it....tag or flag...football. At least make a reasonable effort.
I agree
I also hope they review roughing the passer calls. So many really bad calls and such a huge penalty

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Im saying I know how to tackle high and not drop on some ones legs JUST LIKE HOW DEFENDERS TACKLE AND TRY AND RIP BALL LOOSE. Im highlighting that players multitask while tackling...they can multi-task and not drop tackle.

Its that simple.

But...the system wants to argue until the cows come home and sidestep or not address anything that goes against its narrative. Ive cornered it. Ive proven that players multitask and can think while tackling with the rip/fumble play. Now the system has no where to go so it just shuts up because its coded to not lose an argument. Its childish. It refuses to agree...it wants to take the opposite angle for reactions. Its trash.
I don't think you're wrong, players can absolutely process information quick enough 80% (on the low end) of the time to avoid the hip drops. You still have the issue of when chasing a player down from behind what is the approved technique? Or are we going to give ball carriers freedom to not be pulled back and fall forward for easy yards every time?

My issue isn't can the league do this, but how well can the league do this? The league gets some right, but often times rule changes are headaches the first few years until they get revised over and over. We finally have some sort of an idea of what a catch looks like....most of the time. I still can't say what should or shouldn't be roughing. With a hip drop tackle I struggle with how the NFL is going to define what is outlawed and we are left in this state of just holding your breath after every odd looking tackle.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but this is football and for any rule change we are also weighing the risk of staying the same vs the impact of making a change. If we didn't do that how and made it strictly about safety it would be flag football at this point.

I'm against outlawing the tackle, but I'm also very open minded to it. Data on how many injuries this is causing per year, seeing what the league defined as a hip drop tackle, etc could very easily sway my opinion on the issue.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I don't think you're wrong, players can absolutely process information quick enough 80% (on the low end) of the time to avoid the hip drops. You still have the issue of when chasing a player down from behind what is the approved technique? Or are we going to give ball carriers freedom to not be pulled back and fall forward for easy yards every time?

My issue isn't can the league do this, but how well can the league do this? The league gets some right, but often times rule changes are headaches the first few years until they get revised over and over. We finally have some sort of an idea of what a catch looks like....most of the time. I still can't say what should or shouldn't be roughing. With a hip drop tackle I struggle with how the NFL is going to define what is outlawed and we are left in this state of just holding your breath after every odd looking tackle.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but this is football and for any rule change we are also weighing the risk of staying the same vs the impact of making a change. If we didn't do that how and made it strictly about safety it would be flag football at this point.

I'm against outlawing the tackle, but I'm also very open minded to it. Data on how many injuries this is causing per year, seeing what the league defined as a hip drop tackle, etc could very easily sway my opinion on the issue.
Its all fake and unreasonable for a reason. Not much left

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Why would they? You've stated your opinion and it's clear that you aren't going to budge on the subject. I agree with you that they can probably figure out a way to get the hip drop tackle out of the game without much of an issue, but it's far from being as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

You would never horse collar tackle? I would agree with that, it's a pretty easy one to stay away from. You would never tackle high? Then you wouldn't be a very good tackler, and if your strategy is to take out the legs you're going to cause more injuries. I guarantee 9/10 skill players would rather a defender hit them high than low. You injure a rib you're out a month, injure your ACL and your career could be finished.

The hip drop sounds like an easy tackle to stay away from, but the reality is if you're a defender on 3rd down and ball carrier is close to the LOS you're instinct is to do everything in your power to not let that player fall forward. I'm all for making a rule change in the name of player safety, but you've got to give me a technique that can be used instead. What we can't do is completely outlaw tackling from behind in a pulling motion. I think that either a firm alternative technique needs to be established or we need to be specific on what a penalty would be, and it has to specifically be around dropping the hips with intent. It can't just be anything that looks ugly or gets every borderline call like they are doing with QB roughing.
No offense intended, but the game moves much faster than you think.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The problem is going to be around the officiating..............just like with pass interference and roughing the passer calls, these can be extremely subjective.

So what exactly is going to be deemed a hip drop tackle, any tackle that starts high and goes down to the legs?

Is this going to be a reviewable play?

What about tackling from behind where it is almost impossible to make a tackle without contacting the leg area?

How do you determine in real time if a defender drops his weight on the legs or if he just falls on the legs?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t think these tackles are done intentionally. But that’s how Elliot was hurt and Dak and Pollards legs broken.

calico

Reaction score
Looks like Stats guys with their heads up their ***** need another excuse to steal a pay check.

Flamma

Reaction score
1) I would think players would be FOR as much player safety as possible
2) I would think we can do it without making it....tag or flag...football. At least make a reasonable effort.
I think the main reason people get annoyed is in how the refs enforce the rules. This will end up leading to more bad calls. Look at roughing the passer. Tell me you're not looking for a flag on every sack? Nothing is obvious anymore. On any hard hit, which happens rarely now, you're looking for the flag. Lets not pretend this game hasn't become softer. Go back and watch some games from the mid to late 80s and 90s. It's night and day to what we see now.

wecasa

Reaction score
Pete sake this league. What's next? A player gets hurt by a hit or tackle and the player that did the hitting or tackling has to sit too? Let em play.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They kept the Eagles' stupid scrum though.

So annoying.
At some point I remember It used to be illegal it push the ball carrier from behind, for a first down or TD…I’m not sure whatever happened to that.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Who cares about numbers. Its a cheap and dirty way to tackle since it snaps legs.

Penalize the tackle. Numbers dont matter here other than one leg snap is enough.

The human brain is quicker than the speed of these tackles. These guys know what they are doing and no they are possibly snapping a leg by the way they tackle and fall on someone.

Aww...wussify the league...you say. Ok...where do you live. I want to see you walk out of your house, go into your neighbors house and steal his stuff and murder him like Armys/Governments do because THATS BEING A MAN and ALPHA. Where do you live? I want to see you be a man.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Who cares about numbers. Its a cheap and dirty way to tackle since it snaps legs.

Penalize the tackle. Numbers dont matter here other than one leg snap is enough.

The human brain is quicker than the speed of these tackles. These guys know what they are doing and no they are possibly snapping a leg by the way they tackle and fall on someone.

Aww...wussify the league...you say. Ok...where do you live. I want to see you walk out of your house, go into your neighbors house and steal his stuff and murder him like Armys/Governments do because THATS BEING A MAN and ALPHA. Where do you live? I want to see you be a man. Where is that coward Captain Cash...lets see him be a man.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Where are all the tough guys at that think everything is making the NFL wussified?

Thats right...youre fake and youre a coward.