Hiring from within to be OC

JBond

Reaction score
I would look at someone from Andy Reid’s staff, maybe Green Bay and Baltimore…plus inside our organization…but I’d make it an open competition…
The Chicago guy is on the ropes... Might be a perfect fit. Nagy.

Another ex-head coach that come from a strong coaching lineage.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
One a HC gives up play calling and he see how much more influence he can have on the team, he'll never go back....he knows plenty of coaches, he'll bring in a guy that fits him and we may be better for it.
Once again, you are correct sir, MM will never go back to play calling. MM has already hired KM's heir apparent. He is currently on the Cowboy's payroll as an offensive consultant and has tons of experience in both being an OC and HC... it's Ben McAdoo.

quickccc

Reaction score
We assume that we've moved on from the KM talk, to replace him are you fine with it being someone who's currently on our staff? I'm not a fan of this approach, it's time to get some new ideas/new wrinkles.

Only thing holding this up is that you've invested so much in your QB, to make him happy you may want to keep guys around him that he likes. The next person I could see taking over it we ever lose KM would be our QB coach.

Can't think of his name right now, but he and Dak have a great relationship. If we ever went that way, I sincerely hope the coach has new plays to use, and not the ones we've currently been using for several years, what's your thoughts???

In fact, i'd be very insistent that the OC hiring come from within ... coaches Dak is more familiar with.
There's three possible heir apparent candidates that are already on board.
1) His current QB coach Doug Nussmeier (and my No.1 vote for next OC)
2) Joe Phillibin - i could see MM hiring long time ex-OL coach James Camben and promoting Phillibin to OC (which was his role most in GB under MM)
3) Bob McAdoo - currently an offensive "consultant " ...Broaddus seems to be suggesting this person for the role.

- McCarthy works in the West Coast offense, while Kellen Moore seems to work more in the Rhythm Time Based Offense.
Regardless of system, you'd want a ascending coach that is always evolving, always expanding, adding new wrinkles, new looks, spread offense, and various of routes designs
with all the skill positions, and always working in advanced and trends of today and the future.

- Not a Garrett type that is stapled to one style, one track and more "Stone age " grounded. Garrett seemed to still be in the 90's age.
Kellen was said to be more advanced, more " Space age" than the Garrett/Linehan era.

- Of course Kellen is gonna ask Nuss to come with him as OC, and annoint him as asst. HC, but Cowboys could offer Nuss the immediate OC, make him highest paid OC
in NFL at that. - I'm not sure if the Cowboys could deny Kellen permission to talk to Nuss.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah if Moore goes it's a pretty good bet McCarthy takes over the play calling. Somebody will get the title of OC but Big Mike will want to call the plays. I can't get behind the whole "hire somebody that runs a completely different offense" thought process.

Many is the QB who has been ruined trying to change up systems.. Not saying Dak would be one of them but generally the most successful QBs get to stay in the same offense for a number of years.. and experience a drop while they learn any new system. That's just reality. Hell it took 20 year veteran Brady 11-12 games last year to get acclimated with Arians' system. And Dak has less than a third of Brady's experience.. So count me as a no on the whole "new offense" thing.

If not Doug Nuss as OC, (which i still think is the strongest possibility) It could be McCarthy implementing his WCO offense, but he's very likely gonna hire his own OC from within ,
and that OC would be like Eric Bielemy in KC to Andy Reid's offense.

The days of a dual HC/OC are over. MM already has issues with game management decisions, he does not need to be tie down and complex with both management and X's and O's

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We assume that we've moved on from the KM talk, to replace him are you fine with it being someone who's currently on our staff? I'm not a fan of this approach, it's time to get some new ideas/new wrinkles.

Only thing holding this up is that you've invested so much in your QB, to make him happy you may want to keep guys around him that he likes. The next person I could see taking over it we ever lose KM would be our QB coach.

Can't think of his name right now, but he and Dak have a great relationship. If we ever went that way, I sincerely hope the coach has new plays to use, and not the ones we've currently been using for several years, what's your thoughts???

Philbin

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
SAY THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO because we have to GO THROUGH ZEKE to be successful, lol yeah right, look for a new back

Strength of this team is the passing game. We need a run game, but we can no longer base our entire offense on its success.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No. Hire from outside. Someone with some fresh ideas. Your QB doesn’t like it? It’s his job. Tell him to like it.
yes, i believe if KM leaves this is the approach i take, not making Dak and that offense more friendly and comfy.

we could use new voices, fresh ideas, and an outside perspective on what changes could work to get this offense back balanced and dangerous.

fansince68

Reaction score
The OC from KC is a product of Andy Reid I wouldn't look there
Not sure why being a product of Andy Reid is a problem. The KC offense is great every year. It doesn't make sense that Kellen Moore is held with higher regard than Eric Bienimy anyway. KM has won squat. EB has won a superbowl.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its not that easy to hire outside guys, you cant just pluck someone. You need someone who's contract is up or got let go. We really wont have any names until after week 18.

McAdoo would be a decent candidate. He did well as the Giants OC