CFZ History shows you should draft a QB often

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Attention Cowboys Front Office: History shows the best way to draft a QB is often.

The Cowboys should draft a QB at least every other year looking at every round. Good QBs are the absolute hardest to find which is why they are so overpaid. You never know when you will strike gold. Just thinking the good ones only happen in the first round is foolish. They happen in all rounds. Many of the greats were drafted in later rounds.
  • Roger Staubach was drafted in the 10th round in 1964.
  • HOFer Bart Starr of the packers was drafted in the 17th round.
  • HOFER Brett Favre was drafted in the 2nd round.
  • HOFer Joe Montana was taken in the 3rd round.
  • Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon was drafted in round 4.
  • HOFer Chiefs QB Len Dawson was drafted in the 5th round.
  • The GOAT Tom Brady- 6th round.
All these greats either won SBs Or took teams to SBs.
Look at these great QBs drafted LATER in round 1:
  • HOFer Dan Marino was drafted with the 27th pick.
  • Future HOFer Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th.
  • Former ravens QB and SB MVP Joe Flacco was drafted 18th.
  • Even Pat Mahomes was drafted 10th.
The Cowboys almost never draft a QB. History shows it’s a foolish practice.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I guess Dallas won't. Can't put too much pressure on Dak "Can't close his mouth" Prescott

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am with you. with Dak now over 30. 2 more years on his contract. we should start to look ahead and draft QB, knowing that 90% chance it won't work out, so lets start the search and the QB carrousel cycle. Rush is not the answer, except if we want to move on from Dak, and plan to tank. clean up salary cap, and get a high draft pick. if we draft a QB this year, we know in two years where we stand.

cowboyec

Reaction score
behind don meredith were craig morton and roger staubach.
behind staubach was danny white.
same for other positions.
coach landry created quality depth and competition.
his guys were pushed because of what was behind them.
at some point in the draft...they should draft a QB.
when you know the guy behind you wants your job...its a great motivator.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We can't draft one every year because we don't want that backup to have any ounce of goodness to his game to cause a QB controversy! So we have to get a dinnuci who is God awful, when we SHOULD get one just in case Dak goes down or isn't playing well

John813

Reaction score
Dallas forces themselves to use the draft to fill key holes early in the draft. So, hard to draft-or overdraft a QB early, when there's massive holes at WR, CB, LB, DL etc cause Dallas views free agency as the devil. They rather overvalue and overpay their own players and drag out that process for months before caving in and getting no concessions.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
This is smart. All the fans on here be going off saying WeLl whAt'S YoUr SolutIOn? When we criticize Dak and they don't realize that we literally could have drafted Lamar Jackson, Brock Purdy, and several other QBs in the past 5 years that would be potentially better options.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys QB draft history in Jethro Jone$ era

1989 Troy 1st rd
1989 Walsh 1st supplemental rd
2001 Carter 2nd rd
2007 Stanbach 4th rd( converted to secondary)
2009 McGee 4th rd
2016 Prescott 4th rd
2018 White 5th rd
2020 DiNucci 7th rd

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Even Jimmy Johnson wasn't sold on Aikman and considered playing Steve Walsh, who by the way was drafted first in the supplemental draft in 1989 after they already drafted Aikman with the 1st overall pick in the 1989 draft. How did that turn out - Aikman eventually captained his team to 3 Super Bowl wins. As Cowboyec stated, competition can be a very effective motivating factor.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
great post Haze
It is an important position we should draft every year one just in case
sad part JJ once he is fixated on someone he keeps trying his best to make it work and that is a sign of being stubborn.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you can always develop them and use them for draft picks.
Absolutely. Even the ones that may not become a star for us can become great trade bait for draft picks. Look at what the pats did by drafting Jimmy G. The Falcons drafted Favre and traded him to the pack (It was a dumb move but they did receive compensation)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We can't draft one every year because we don't want that backup to have any ounce of goodness to his game to cause a QB controversy! So we have to get a dinnuci who is God awful, when we SHOULD get one just in case Dak goes down or isn't playing well
I disagree. I think given the needs in most areas of the team, QB wasn't a high priority. a priority, but not a high priority. given in the past few years we have had OL needs, DL needs, LB needs, Saftey needs, WR needs, TE needs. we have tried through FA, and I really wanted us to trade a pick for Minshew, instead of keeping rush.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the 49ers had said last spring, “We don’t need to draft a QB- we have our future in Trey Lance and also have Jimmy G.” Unfortunately they were smarter (and luckier than that)

You can’t get lucky drafting a QB if you never or rarely take one.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Serious question:

Is Dak's ego so fragile that he can't handle legitimate competition at QB?

Or, is just a matter of JJ really and truly believing that Dak is the Chosen One.

Probably one of the worst things that happened.to this franchise is Dak's remarkable rookie season... it dulled the FO senses and ensnared their minds.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll say it here again.

The Chiefs would've never drafted Mahomes if they were satisfied just making the playoffs with Alex Smith.
Having a crystal ball helps. during that draft, there were so many that didn't think Mahomes was going to be good and was just a system QB in college...but now, after the fact, there are many pounding their chest and saying hey, look over there....I think we are getting ready for a carrousel ride to find QB. for every mahomes, there are Turbiskeys, Mayfields, Wilson's, Jones's (2), Murray's, Haskins, Darnolds, etc. we going to fail more often than succeed in finding the next QB.

so should we not try? we should. if you can send a crystal ball to Jerry, that could help a lot in making this a shorter cycle.

but, generally speaking, we should draft a QB every 3 years, groom, if he is good for back up, great, if not, cut him and draft the next one. we did that with Dak when Romo was here and planned ahead. we are at that point again.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Serious question:

Is Dak's ego so fragile that he can't handle legitimate competition at QB?

Or, is just a matter of JJ really and truly believing that Dak is the Chosen One.

Probably one of the worst things that happened.to this franchise is Dak's remarkable rookie season... it dulled the FO senses and ensnared their minds.

If Dak's ego is stopping Jerry from doing a better job then that's a Jerry issue.

Jerry is supposed to be Dak's boss.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I disagree. I think given the needs in most areas of the team, QB wasn't a high priority. a priority, but not a high priority. given in the past few years we have had OL needs, DL needs, LB needs, Saftey needs, WR needs, TE needs. we have tried through FA, and I really wanted us to trade a pick for Minshew, instead of keeping rush.

When you look at things now I think you have to say it's of need not major but someone to compete and take over if you play is bad