CFZ History shows you should draft a QB often

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your list is dated and therefore misleading. Only one QB from the last ten drafts ...and Mahomes was top third of first round.

QBs are valued way higher in the draft than they used to be.
Right, but tons of playoff games have been won by QBs not drafted in round one. QBs are valued as the most coveted draft pick. But 23 SBs have been won by QBs NOT drafted in round one.

T-RO

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't see many worthwhile candidates in any given year.

-9 QBS drafted in 2022.
-10 QBs in 2021
-13 QBs in 2020
-11 QBs in 2019

And how many of these panned out? Not many!

T-RO

Reaction score
But 23 SBs have been won by QBs NOT drafted in round one.

Doesn't matter what happened twenty, thirty years ago. Scouting and drafting weren't as sophisticated. And top QBs weren't cherished as they are now, thus often fell to later rounds.

Plus 1/3 of those were won by a single QB.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Attention Cowboys Front Office: History shows the best way to draft a QB is often.

The Cowboys should draft a QB at least every other year looking at every round. Good QBs are the absolute hardest to find which is why they are so overpaid. You never know when you will strike gold. Just thinking the good ones only happen in the first round is foolish. They happen in all rounds. Many of the greats were drafted in later rounds.
  • Roger Staubach was drafted in the 10th round in 1964.
  • HOFer Bart Starr of the packers was drafted in the 17th round.
  • HOFER Brett Favre was drafted in the 2nd round.
  • HOFer Joe Montana was taken in the 3rd round.
  • Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon was drafted in round 4.
  • HOFer Chiefs QB Len Dawson was drafted in the 5th round.
  • The GOAT Tom Brady- 6th round.
All these greats either won SBs Or took teams to SBs.
Look at these great QBs drafted LATER in round 1:
  • HOFer Dan Marino was drafted with the 27th pick.
  • Future HOFer Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th.
  • Former ravens QB and SB MVP Joe Flacco was drafted 18th.
  • Even Pat Mahomes was drafted 10th.
The Cowboys almost never draft a QB. History shows it’s a foolish practice.
I agree and soon

rags747

Reaction score
Since we are obviously not getting a qb at the top of the draft then Draft a qb that is considered a gunslinger please, someone that is raw but has all the tools and mentality to get it done. We need a Joe Burrow in the baddest way possible. With the way this defense played Sunday there is no excuse for not advancing. This whole loss is on Dak, not for the two interceptions but for not hitting open receivers on numerous occasions.

khiladi

Reaction score
The aesthetics on the field of a big gun QB, leading to more excitement for fans, is a good enough reason to draft them. It’s been awful watching husky robotic Dak “command the pocket”, staring down reads all day long.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right, but tons of playoff games have been won by QBs not drafted in round one. QBs are valued as the most coveted draft pick. But 23 SBs have been won by QBs NOT drafted in round one.
Here’s a good site showing the round the winning and losing SB QB was drafted.

I didn’t count but there is a bunch of 1st rounders who lost in Sb too. And several 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I’m not sure what the number is now but for decades 1st and 2nd round picks made up about 80% of the starting QB’s in the league .

I’d argue if you aren’t using a 1st or 2nd round pick for a QB, you aren’t seriously looking for your next starting QB.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The aesthetics on the field of a big gun QB, leading to more excitement for fans, is a good enough reason to draft them. It’s been awful watching husky robotic Dak “command the pocket”, staring down reads all day long.
give some names of who you want. we can keep track and see how they turned out in a couple of years. if you don't have a plan. you have nothing.

starfan1

Reaction score
really that it you must be mine reader, you know its because of Dak they dont use the process Bobs referring too? its Dak fragile mind? his ego? so its because of Dak LMAO right, thats it...

OR!!!!!!!!!!!?????????,

Maybe its the same process the FO doesn't draft high safety's or NTs? anyone thought that this is a GM/FO philosophy right or wrong but blame the qb further!

Its much like the blame that not being put on a weak OL that not physical against the better defenses that did NOT provide Dak a Run game in 3 Straight playoff losses? inconsistent and dirty pockets, only one WR making plays , where was Gallup, Schultz 2 blunders on the last drive, Gallups not making an effort on 1st INT get basically pulled off his route allowing the db to cut under him yet he sat & watched the play instead of com,ig up to break it up or contest it? 4 times this year Gallup did that lie getting knocked down in the indy game for an INT and lastly the missed XP by our kicker.

I mean where was the run game? no physicality against the best Dls, go check the the last 3 loses in the payoffs common theme, no run game and get knocked backward and makes dirty pocket and then skill payers not contributing or worse the OL committing 11 penalty's because they are being manhandled?

sure, blame the QB that the easy and popular thing.

IMO the Offensive line is as much to blame as Prescot, hes not off the hook still could have played it safer but come on.. Daks wasn't on his own for that mess.

I'm not saying I disagree with Bobs theory BUT it ridiculous to say its because of Dak, how many high draft picks for qb were made from Aikman until Now,

how many did dak play in 1998-2015?? how many backups back then were chosen, did they know daks feelings would be hurt before he was BORN? that a joke man this qb blame game also a joke..

we had many issues on offense and starts up front. after Steele went down, having to depend on 2 older OL in peters and Tyron as well as TylerB being banged up and the musical chairs started, thats when the bigger issues started.. all Daks worst showing were game with No run game and dirty pockets and Wrs routes and bad hands came into pay.

I blame the entire offense and the pay calls 16 runs that it where was malik? where was even the effort when pollard wen todwn? this was HUGE rason the 9ers made it tough on Dak they knew no threat of run was there pay coverage , dont have to blitz and push that Line back into a mostly nonexistent pocket.

this outrs so much extra pressure on QB that its unfair just to say he is the issue and cant handle pressure.

Daks not fragile, this is the FO/GM/player personell philosophy, they rather have a vet backup or not using high draft picks on a QB when they have one under contract for long while.
QBs an easy target right now. Fans smell blood in the water. My guess is they are going to be SOL but I get why they feel that way. Dak had a terrible game but youre right it wasnt him alone but because of that contract this is what fans want gone. This is also 2 years in a row he crapped the bed. They forget the fact that he got the team there 2 years in a row. I agree with just about everything in youre post. football is not a game where a singular postition is the determing factor in a game.

Me personally I dont care if he stays or goes Im just not as emotionally heavily invested like I once was and thats because of jerry. Im somewhat numb. Im still a huge fan and want a super bowl but i tend to just enjoy the week to week aspect of the season. I was content with the season.The trolls on this site get old though and a part of me will LMAO when the extension comes because they make this site less enjoyable.