CFZ History shows you should draft a QB often

Redline360

Reaction score
Dallas approach laughs at this

1) They do not want any QB controversy. As you mentioned it's complete lunacy. Competition is a hell of a motivator especially when someone wants your job

2) We draft to fill voids cause Jerry n Co think FA is the devil for some reason. When history shows years in and year out that's how you build championship rosters

Edit: John813 beat me to it said same thing lol

Last edited:

Xeven

Reaction score
I would be fired if I performed my Job at the level Dak is performing. I might get one major mistake “INT” and gone. Not allowed to hurt the company so to speak. Losing an account because I was tired, misspelled a word etc...fired.

RD21

Reaction score
We're stuck with Dak. His contract prevents us from moving on, & prevents anyone else from trading for him.

At this point, I think Romo was a better QB. The results were the same to this point (2-4 playoff record, 0-3 divisional). While they both have had plenty of boneheaded plays, Romo had moments of greatness. Dak has moments of being good.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Attention Cowboys Front Office: History shows the best way to draft a QB is often.

The Cowboys should draft a QB at least every other year looking at every round. Good QBs are the absolute hardest to find which is why they are so overpaid. You never know when you will strike gold. Just thinking the good ones only happen in the first round is foolish. They happen in all rounds. Many of the greats were drafted in later rounds.
  • Roger Staubach was drafted in the 10th round in 1964.
  • HOFer Bart Starr of the packers was drafted in the 17th round.
  • HOFER Brett Favre was drafted in the 2nd round.
  • HOFer Joe Montana was taken in the 3rd round.
  • Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon was drafted in round 4.
  • HOFer Chiefs QB Len Dawson was drafted in the 5th round.
  • The GOAT Tom Brady- 6th round.
All these greats either won SBs Or took teams to SBs.
Look at these great QBs drafted LATER in round 1:
  • HOFer Dan Marino was drafted with the 27th pick.
  • Future HOFer Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th.
  • Former ravens QB and SB MVP Joe Flacco was drafted 18th.
  • Even Pat Mahomes was drafted 10th.
The Cowboys almost never draft a QB. History shows it’s a foolish practice.

Yea, it’s a smart franchise move to draft
one almost every year.

I ls like to see us try to go all in with Dak but I still wish we would’ve been adding guys to develop over the years.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I'm all for the Cowboys drafting a QB now. And have said that perhaps the best situation for both sides is for Dak to go to another team, since he's most likely not going to remain on the Cowboys as a back up. The change of scenery is what got Stafford over the hump finally and it make be that Dak needs before his career ends.

conner01

Reaction score
Attention Cowboys Front Office: History shows the best way to draft a QB is often.

The Cowboys should draft a QB at least every other year looking at every round. Good QBs are the absolute hardest to find which is why they are so overpaid. You never know when you will strike gold. Just thinking the good ones only happen in the first round is foolish. They happen in all rounds. Many of the greats were drafted in later rounds.
  • Roger Staubach was drafted in the 10th round in 1964.
  • HOFer Bart Starr of the packers was drafted in the 17th round.
  • HOFER Brett Favre was drafted in the 2nd round.
  • HOFer Joe Montana was taken in the 3rd round.
  • Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon was drafted in round 4.
  • HOFer Chiefs QB Len Dawson was drafted in the 5th round.
  • The GOAT Tom Brady- 6th round.
All these greats either won SBs Or took teams to SBs.
Look at these great QBs drafted LATER in round 1:
  • HOFer Dan Marino was drafted with the 27th pick.
  • Future HOFer Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th.
  • Former ravens QB and SB MVP Joe Flacco was drafted 18th.
  • Even Pat Mahomes was drafted 10th.
The Cowboys almost never draft a QB. History shows it’s a foolish practice.
The odds of striking gold late is very rare

Aven8

Reaction score
I'll say it here again.

The Chiefs would've never drafted Mahomes if they were satisfied just making the playoffs with Alex Smith.
I’ll take it one step further. McVay wasn’t happy with Goff, even though he was taken high, and they replaced him. Shanny wasn’t happy with Garrapolo, so they traded up for Lance. Philly wasn’t happy with Wentz so they traded him.

All these guys have had more success than Dak in the playoffs sans Wentz, but they weren’t satisfied with what they had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just like with the rumors swirling back with Manziel, Jethro suggested the morning of the draft he had no intention of drafting Romo’s heir apparent until he retired.

Jethro doesn’t want the drama attached with an heir apparent sitting in the wings placing public pressure if his Star QB struggles .

jsb357

Reaction score
I agree.

bring in a new rookie every year through draft or signing a rookie UFA.

jsb357

Reaction score
Jethro doesn’t want the drama attached with an heir apparent sitting in the wings placing public pressure if his Star QB struggles .
If a REAL QB can't handle that he surly can't handle playoff pressure...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even Jimmy Johnson wasn't sold on Aikman and considered playing Steve Walsh, who by the way was drafted first in the supplemental draft in 1989 after they already drafted Aikman with the 1st overall pick in the 1989 draft. How did that turn out - Aikman eventually captained his team to 3 Super Bowl wins. As Cowboyec stated, competition can be a very effective motivating factor.
And Walsh delivered 3 draft picks from the Saints including a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Which helped Jimmy turn the tide.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-09-25-sp-1365-story.html

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If a REAL QB can't handle that he surly can't handle playoff pressure...
It’s not a matter of whether the QB can handle it or not . This is about our owner not wanting that pressure or drama.

jsb357

Reaction score
It’s not a matter of whether the QB can handle it or not . This is about our owner not wanting that pressure or drama.
Then expect the current results to continue.

Aikman hated the Walsh draft pick / signing but he knew he could not slack because someone
was there if he stumbled. IMO it made Aikman a better player.

I would venture to say Jimmy thought the same or he would not have picked him.

Aven8

Reaction score
Apparently they wanted that NC QB that beat us in the last game for Washington but they got him right before us. Hopefully they try and get one this next offseason

GMO415

Reaction score
We have two left on his contract? Yes draft his replacement.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Cowboys QB draft history in Jethro Jone$ era

1989 Troy 1st rd
1989 Walsh 1st supplemental rd
2001 Carter 2nd rd
2007 Stanbach 4th rd( converted to secondary)
2009 McGee 4th rd
2016 Prescott 4th rd
2018 White 5th rd
2020 DiNucci 7th rd
8 QBs drafted in 33 years is just bananas to me. No wonder we're stuck where we are.

I totally agree that we should be drafting QBs wherever you can. Keep panning for that gold, so to speak.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
always be drafting and developing players...especially the qb.