Holding calls

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a great equalizer. This is just an honest question so, don't take it too far.

Holding calls are up this year and 10 yards is a drive killer a lot of times. So, which of theses options do you think is going on?

1. Shaping what the money wants to see go far.

2. Bias against some teams.

3. There is a logical explanation you are missing.

4. it's nothing, you're high.

It does seem that an uncanny number of holds get called when it results in a big play being called back and not many called on 1st & 10 when the offense gains 1 yard. I'm not referring to just Cowboys games.

They could call holding on most plays.

There has to be an intentional reason that they decide to call holds on specific plays and not others.

They could call more holds on the Cowboys. How they determine which plays to call it and which plays to not call it is perplexing.

The NFL does not appear to care what fans want. I don't think any fans really want more penalties called.

Even if both the Cowboys and their opponent get 10 penalties each. I would prefer 5 penalties each.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
.5 Yes I am high...that’s besides the point,there is a problem with the refs calls of holding this year. Not sure what and why,but I think it’s something they have to look at,because technically you can call holding practically any play you want if we’re going to be nit picky. But it’s sure bad when you got announcers getting really irritated with it themselves...and it’s just not fun to watch. Good game and drive going...and here we go with the flag circus to spoil everyone’s fun.

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
20) so many damn rules, the refs cant tell wood from steel.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
A holding call won't be questioned during the game and if it is questioned they will just say that some sort of holding happens on every play and that's that. The holding call is a good way to slow the game down when and why they see fit, the problem from my point of view is that the game of football moves pretty slow on it's own from play to play and they shouldn't be trying to slow it down any further. I rarely watch a NFL game the Cowboys aren't playing in and if it wasn't for NFL Redzone i wouldn't see anything besides Cowboy's football. The people who run FIFA do many things wrong but the one thing Soccer has is that the game has no commercial stoppages during gameplay. Could you imagine watching a NFL game where you didn't see a commercial during the whole 1st quarter? Would be nice and i for one would probably watch more NFL games if this was the case. It might seem side tracked but i think the holding penalty usage and commercials might be tied into each other, if not it still makes me watch less games.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It does seem that an uncanny number of holds get called when it results in a big play being called back and not many called on 1st & 10 when the offense gains 1 yard. I'm not referring to just Cowboys games.

There has to be an intentional reason that they decide to call holds on specific plays and not others.

They could call more holds on the Cowboys. How they determine which plays to call it and which plays to not call it is perplexing.

The NFL does not appear to care what fans want. I don't think any fans really want more penalties called.

Even if both the Cowboys and their opponent get 10 penalties each. I would prefer 5 penalties each.
So true.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Maybe it’s because the hold is what’s causing the big play genius.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I've posted many times the only obvious factor is they call penalties to keep games close to viewership stays high, which keeps billions of dollars in ad revenue rolling in.

Last year that happened for us in the Colts game and against us in the Bucs game. Also in 2017 it was really blatant in the Chargers game where Dak threw a long pass to put the Cowboys ahead but it was called back for holding - when the replay and announcers said there was clearly no holding. Then Rivers put the Chargers ahead on the next series on a play where they were no-calls on not one but two blatant holds. That could be a coincidence, who knows. But it did come during the period Jerry was fighting Goodell to take away his salary guarantees and Dallas went through a very unusual stretch where holding was never called on OL playing against us.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your attempts to be a teenage mean girl are pretty humorous. Maybe you should go back to say Dak spazzes out in the pocket.

Your attempts at securing steady work in Ranch Cucamonga is humorous.

“Buh, i gOt mie dD-214!!?”

Rockdoc

Reaction score
when you have one of the best offensive line in the league
and you have pass rushers like we do on defense,
i expect more holding calls on the team we are playing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think five yards would be a more realistic penalty for holding on an o-lineman.

Far too frequently, shaky holding calls will doom drives that shouldn't be killed.

Flamma

Reaction score
What a great equalizer. This is just an honest question so, don't take it too far.

Holding calls are up this year and 10 yards is a drive killer a lot of times. So, which of theses options do you think is going on?

1. Shaping what the money wants to see go far.

2. Bias against some teams.

3. There is a logical explanation you are missing.

4. it's nothing, you're high.

At first I didn't understand #1. You're suggesting they might try to use holding calls to determine or sway outcomes to benefit certain teams in order to get preferred matchups. In theory it's possible. The refs have been bad enough over time that we're conditioned to accept anything. I just have one question. When did they start this? Where are all of the good matchups? Is having the Patriots in the SB every other year for the last two decades good? I look to the good matchups for any hint of proof of this. If they're doing this, it could only have started very recently.

Bias against some teams. Who's being bias? The refs? The league in general? Who's calling the shots? If anything, roughing the passer has been called late in games to help tip the scales. That's just poor refereeing and bad timing.

I can't think of a logical explanation either. I'm going to have to go with #4 :)

Flamma

Reaction score
Well, then they must risking their jobs - not to mention jail - for small bets because if big ones were hitting every week there'd be an investigation.

I understand why the league would prohibit gambling, but jail? If a ref puts in a legal wager I don't see where jail would come into the picture. The Law doesn't care or consider NFL rules. I could be wrong.