Holding calls

Flamma

Reaction score
The NFL and the Referee Association just recently announce a new labor agreement. Before that, they were in negotiations and during those negotiations, the refs were making the games unwatchable by calling every little foul. We had those games with 25-30 accepted penalties occurring all the time. As soon as the agreement was announced, it went back closer to normal. So you be the judge. Were the refs doing it on purpose to force a deal? It sure looks that way to me. If so, that also proves once and for all that refs are in complete control of what happens on the field and can easily pick winners and losers. They showed during the first few weeks that they can basically throw the flag on every play if they want to. That means they are and have been a visually overlooking penalties and basically picking and choosing when and when not to call a penalty. The league needs to figure out how to clean the officiating up. I don’t really see any easy way to do it except to start firing people who miss blatant calls or keep getting calls wrong. They have to be accountable and their jobs should be on the line each and every week.

I am in full agreement here and have thought the same thing the past few seasons. But I am more concerned with the bad calls as opposed to the missed calls. IMO missing something that happened is not as bad as calling something that never happened. To me the latter ref is dangerous and is looking to make calls. Don't get me wrong, both are bad. But one needs improvement while the other is hard to fix.

Flamma

Reaction score
A holding call won't be questioned during the game and if it is questioned they will just say that some sort of holding happens on every play and that's that. The holding call is a good way to slow the game down when and why they see fit, the problem from my point of view is that the game of football moves pretty slow on it's own from play to play and they shouldn't be trying to slow it down any further. I rarely watch a NFL game the Cowboys aren't playing in and if it wasn't for NFL Redzone i wouldn't see anything besides Cowboy's football. The people who run FIFA do many things wrong but the one thing Soccer has is that the game has no commercial stoppages during gameplay. Could you imagine watching a NFL game where you didn't see a commercial during the whole 1st quarter? Would be nice and i for one would probably watch more NFL games if this was the case. It might seem side tracked but i think the holding penalty usage and commercials might be tied into each other, if not it still makes me watch less games.

Same with me. I rarely watch any games that aren't Cowboys games. If I do, it's only partial games. The penalties and commercials make them unwatchable. The NFL won't go the soccer route until they can figure out how to capitalize on the shorter game with equal to or more revenue. But yeah, hour and a half games would be fantastic.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Same with me. I rarely watch any games that aren't Cowboys games. If I do, it's only partial games. The penalties and commercials make them unwatchable. The NFL won't go the soccer route until they can figure out how to capitalize on the shorter game with equal to or more revenue. But yeah, hour and a half games would be fantastic.
I don't expect the NFL to go the soccer route, that would be extreme for the NFL, but it would be nice if NFL had less penalties and maybe only one commercial break per quarter.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I don't expect the NFL to go the soccer route, that would be extreme for the NFL, but it would be nice if NFL had less penalties and maybe only one commercial break per quarter.
agreed with part one but, they still have to pay for things.

Flamma

Reaction score

They used to do that. You can go back and watch games of the past and see just one 30 second commercial. That just means less money. They will never do that unless the fans stop watching to the extent they take notice. The only changes they'll make has to include an uptick in revenue or the possibility of that. Those commercials can be pretty funny as well.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
agreed with part one but, they still have to pay for things.
I still have to pay for things also like my cable bill. Less penalties and commercials won't kill the NFL or the networks, the more they take unquestioned now only means that when time passes they will take more and more, the NFL will slow the game down even further in future and that means more commercials not less, at this point their not paying for things they are just stealing things.

Carson

Reaction score
it's Green Bay week. When is the last time you remember them getting a holding call when they played Dallas?

I think they got one in 2012 ;)

But in all seriousness, I’m sure we have 4-6 holdings to Green Bay’s 0 today

MarcusRock

Reaction score
it's Green Bay week. When is the last time you remember them getting a holding call when they played Dallas?

With all the talk abut coaching on these boards, why can't it be that Green Bay is a finely coached team in that area? Also, when have we had a scary pass rush in general, and not just one guy that teams feared? Did we in 2014? 2016?

This is what fear does to fans to the point where they play chicken little BEFORE the loss they fear.