Reaction score
Seahawks' Hamlin has fractured skull
Story Tools:
print.gif
Print
email.gif
Email
Associated Press
Posted: 5 hours ago // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none';
KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Seahawks are more concerned with Ken Hamlin's health than when — or if — he'll be able to rejoin the team.

The starting free safety was in serious but stable condition early Tuesday with a fractured skull and other head injuries following a fight outside a downtown Seattle nightclub.

It's pretty tough," said cornerback Marcus Trufant, whose locker is next to Hamlin's. "I'm very concerned about his health and I'm just hoping and praying that everything goes well."

Hamlin's injuries included a small blood clot and bruising of brain tissue. He was to remain in intensive care for the next day or two, team physician Stan Herring said. Herring said doctors are waking up Hamlin every hour or two to ensure he is still stable.

The fight may have also involved a homicide, according to a published report. A 31-year-old man who was killed near the city's Seward Park on Monday morning was involved in the fight with Hamlin, a man claiming to be the brother of the victim told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer for a story published Tuesday.

Tramaine Isabell saw video of the fight on Seattle TV newscasts and identified one of the men as his brother, Terrell Milam. Isabell told the newspaper the video showed Milam punching Hamlin and knocking him to the ground, and that Milam was the man found dead by a jogger three hours later near Seward Park.

Police spokesman Rich Pruitt confirmed on his office phone voice mail early Tuesday morning that there was a homicide in south Seattle on Monday morning. He also told the newspaper that police were interested in speaking to Isabell, but added, "At this time, we have no proof there is a connection" between the death and Hamlin's assault.

According to a police report, Hamlin and his girlfriend were leaving Larry's Nightclub in the Pioneer Square section of Seattle at about 2 a.m. Monday, several hours after the Seahawks defeated the Houston Texans.

The girlfriend told officers that Hamlin placed his hand on another man's back and said, "Excuse me." The man told Hamlin to stop pushing, and the men began shoving each other.

According to the report, Hamlin then punched the man in the face; Herring said Hamlin has a fractured right hand. Another man struck Hamlin with his forearm, knocking him down, before the two men began fighting with other men nearby.

Witnesses provided the names of two men to police but there had been no arrests, Seattle police spokeswoman Debra Brown said Monday.

The club's owner, Larry Culp, said his security guards kept Hamlin separated from the two suspects outside for about 15 minutes as the bar was emptying at closing time. He said guards tried to restrain Hamlin several times and the other man started to back down, but "as the head of my security team turned his head, (Hamlin) went after him.

"He had plenty of chances to walk away from this incident," Culp said, adding Hamlin "went out of his way" to provoke a fight.

Culp released a security videotape showing Hamlin breaking free from club security guards and pursuing the suspects after the initial altercation subsided.

Hamlin was found lying in an intersection outside the club a few blocks north of Qwest Field, surrounded by a crowd of people.

Hamlin told the officers he was in a lot of pain, and when asked what happened, he said, "I don't remember."

The report said Hamlin did not appear intoxicated.

Seahawks president Tim Ruskell issued a statement Monday that said, in part: "We are working in concert with the Seattle Police Department. The fact that this is an active assault investigation prevents us from further comment at this time."

"The only difficulty I have with this is, it's such a waste," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. "It seems rather pointless. It's not like you are playing a football game and all of a sudden you get hit and you get injured.

"It's one of those things that shouldn't have happened."

Holmgren talked to his team about it in an afternoon meeting. The NFC West-leading Seahawks then said a team prayer for Hamlin.

Holmgren said Marquand Manuel, a fourth-year veteran from Florida, will replace Hamlin and make his first career start Sunday against Dallas. Hamlin had five tackles in Seattle's 42-10 win over Houston.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Damn -- that is just totally senseless on Hamlin's part. I feel bad for the guy but this is just stupid behavior.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
The girlfriend told officers that Hamlin placed his hand on another man's back and said, "Excuse me." The man told Hamlin to stop pushing, and the men began shoving each other.

Jesus Christ, what can you say

Hamlin should have knocked the guy out JUST for being such a complete IDIOT! "stop pushing".. then they start shoving

damn I can't stress enough how much of an idiot the "stop pushin" ******* is

I hate people like that and I got into a fight for the SAME EXACT reason back when I was in high school a few years ago. bottlenecked at the doorway after a school pep rally, accidentally ran into his back, and he turned around and said "why are you pushing me" and shoved me and hit me and I nailed him

people suck.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The title of this thread is misleading. I thought that he had now died.

Not cool.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

Not cool.

Not really. The guy that he got in a fight with is dead, so the thread makes sense.

Boy, when are these atheletes going to learn....

- Mike G.

Kilyin

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

Not cool.

If you read the article it's pretty clear who died.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Just like my dad used to say .. nothing but bad things happen at 2 a.m.

Or "If you're not in bed by 11, you might as well come home."

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:

Hamlin should have knocked the guy out JUST for being such a complete IDIOT! "stop pushing".. then they start shoving
Yep... that would have solved everything.

Please, stop your drivel. It's tiring.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Irving Cowboy said:
Ahem... you were misled when you became a Skins fan. :D

Says the man from his cellblock. :rolleyes:

haha.

Mike and Kilyin - I read the article, but already knew of the news of the fight. So when I clicked on it I was expecting to see Hamlin had died as a result of complications. Thats all.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:

damn I can't stress enough how much of an idiot the "stop pushin" ******* is

I hate people like that and I got into a fight for the SAME EXACT reason back when I was in high school a few years ago. bottlenecked at the doorway after a school pep rally, accidentally ran into his back, and he turned around and said "why are you pushing me" and shoved me and hit me and I nailed him

people suck.

...are you trying to tell all of us that the words "stop pushing" deserves a punch in the face.

What do you do to guys who call you a name? Kill him? Flay his children in front of him?

People don't suck. Violent people suck!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
So much for Hamlin the victim. Sounds like he instigated and started it.

These guys never learn - hanging out in bar parking lots and nightclubs at 2:00 is a bad situation waiting to happen.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Nors said:
So much for Hamlin the victim. Sounds like he instigated and started it.

These guys never learn - hanging out in bar parking lots and nightclubs at 2:00 is a bad situation waiting to happen.

...sure Davis could have given him the 411 on that deal.

Mmm...bed by 11:00 P.M. or out till 2:00 A.M. at some club with my girlfriend. What would my momma, agent and coach want? Mmmm....

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Obviously I wasn't being serious in my post, I was just trying to drive the point home about how idiotic starting a fight over the words "stop pushing" is

Irving, you're like the kid in school that has nothing better to do than follow someone around

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
Obviously I wasn't being serious in my post, I was just trying to drive the point home about how idiotic starting a fight over the words "stop pushing" is

Irving, you're like the kid in school that has nothing better to do than follow someone around
When you post nonsense in just about every meaningful thread, it's not following you around.

It actually goes to show your lack of intelligence which you seem so eager to advertise to everyone.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Say what you want but that still doesn't change the fact that you're obsessed with quoting me and that sooner or later, I'm going to have to call the police

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:

...wasn't obvious to me.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
Say what you want but that still doesn't change the fact that you're obsessed with quoting me and that sooner or later, I'm going to have to call the police
:lmao:

ghst187

Reaction score
hmm i don't get it exactly, Hamlin obviously got clocked with likely a foreign object but the other guy ended up dead. Hamlin couldn't have killed the guy since he got his skull rocked.
Its only circumstantial that the other guy ended up dead but a little more than suspicious...
Someone else was probably involved on Hamlin's side but who? He couldn't have had anyone else there except for his g/f and/or a teammate....
interesting case...
and the event was darwinian in nature, the most idiotic reason to fight I've ever heard. Nothing good happens after midnight. Only reinforces my resolve to avoid those places altogether.