CFZ Hope vs Reality

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope is a good thing. Being a Cowboys fanatic like we all are here requires that we have some level of hope every year. We all hope “this is our year”, or hope things will different for us this year.

Nothing symbolizes that hope more than the draft. Every year the draft is analyzed, dissected and graded before a single player has played a down of NFL football. Draft experts and fans look at the players we acquire and project their impact in a positive light. Nothing wrong with that because as the saying goes, “Hope springs eternal.” Hope is good. For example, I think we have a good draft this year. I hope so anyway.

But the balance of sports hope is sports reality. Reality is based on the actual results we get and nothing else. The goal of every team - its leaders, players and fan base - is to win a championship or at the very least get close. Reality is only one team wins it every year. This balance of hope versus reality is part of what makes sports fun.

After the last three decades as a Cowboys fan, reality has been harsh. We’ve had some good seasons, like the last three where we won 36 games - three straight 12 win seasons. We’ve made the playoffs all three of those seasons, for the first time since the 90s. The reality staring at us is we have one wild card win to show for the last three seasons. An even stronger dose of reality, we have 5 wild card wins in the last three decades. And the same GM and son pulling all the levers of power. That’s also a harsh reality.

This time of year it’s a good thing to have hope. Optimism is the cornerstone of sports fandom. But the results we get is the ultimate reality - the bottom line at least for me as a fan.

Someday, we all hope that the results we get will line up with the hope we have. When hope and reality happen together, it’s the greatest feeling as a sports fan. As a long time Cowboys fan, I still remember when hope and reality happened. I hope someday it will happen again.

So I hope we can all be tolerant of any fan here who has hope going into the next season. And I also hope that hyper-hopeful fans will also be tolerant of those whose hopes have been crushed so many times by reality that it’s hard to have much hope again. I understand both. I hope we can all allow the balance of hope and reality to exist together.

Go Cowboys!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Hope is a good thing. Being a Cowboys fanatic like we all are here requires that we have some level of hope every year. We all hope “this is our year”, or hope things will different for us this year.

Nothing symbolizes that hope more than the draft. Every year the draft is analyzed, dissected and graded before a single player has played a down of NFL football. Draft experts and fans look at the players we acquire and project their impact in a positive light. Nothing wrong with that because as the saying goes, “Hope springs eternal.” Hope is good. For example, I think we have a good draft this year. I hope so anyway.

But the balance of sports hope is sports reality. Reality is based on the actual results we get and nothing else. The goal of every team - its leaders, players and fan base - is to win a championship or at the very least get close. Reality is only one team wins it every year. This balance of hope versus reality is part of what makes sports fun.

After the last three decades as a Cowboys fan, reality has been harsh. We’ve had some good seasons, like the last three where we won 36 games - three straight 12 win seasons. We’ve made the playoffs all three of those seasons, for the first time since the 90s. The reality staring at us is we have one wild card win to show for the last three seasons. An even stronger dose of reality, we have 5 wild card wins in the last three decades. And the same GM and son pulling all the levers of power. That’s also a harsh reality.

This time of year it’s a good thing to have hope. Optimism is the cornerstone of sports fandom. But the results we get is the ultimate reality - the bottom line at least for me as a fan.

Someday, we all hope that the results we get will line up with the hope we have. When hope and reality happen together, it’s the greatest feeling as a sports fan. As a long time Cowboys fan, I still remember when hope and reality happened. I hope someday it will happen again.

So I hope we can all be tolerant of any fan here who has hope going into the next season. And I also hope that hyper-hopeful fans will also be tolerant of those whose hopes have been crushed so many times by reality that it’s hard to have much hope again. I understand both. I hope we can all allow the balance of hope and reality to exist together.

Go Cowboys!
I think all the HOPE was thrown out after we realized what "all in" DIDN"T mean!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm hopeful but I think realistic expectations for this team need to be adjusted compared to previous ones. I don't see this as a super bowl or NFCCG or bust type of year.

This is more of a season where I think a playoff appearance is realistic and anything more is gravy on top in my opinion. I think this team has some things going for it, but really lacks depth at several positions to be serious contenders.

For a team coming off three consecutive 12 win seasons hoping to take a step forward that's a very tough thing to accept.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'm hopeful but I think realistic expectations for this team need to be adjusted compared to previous ones. I don't see this as a super bowl or NFCCG or bust type of year.

This is more of a season where I think a playoff appearance is realistic and anything more is gravy on top in my opinion. I think this team has some things going for it, but really lacks depth at several positions to be serious contenders.

For a team coming off three consecutive 12 win seasons hoping to take a step forward that's a very tough thing to accept.
yeah but you can't tell Jerry every year that he hasn't assembled a Superbowl team

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
yeah but you can't tell Jerry every year that he hasn't assembled a Superbowl team
Agree, but if he really believes this and we see another first round exit or even missing the playoffs this year I would hope he actually looks to make significant changes. Jerry is at least setting this team up for that possibility if they underachieve with all the 1 year deals in place.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Agree, but if he really believes this and we see another first round exit or even missing the playoffs this year I would hope he actually looks to make significant changes. Jerry is at least setting this team up for that possibility if they underachieve with all the 1 year deals in place.
Just have this weird feeling in my bones that Jerry is fleecing us, the posture he's displaying is kind of fun to watch

starfan1

Reaction score
this is new season Ill have same hope i have yearly . Im concerned on DL but who knows maybe young guys step up or maybe we even pick up a cut player

starfan1

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan hope is all you have, because reality has really sucked the last 3 decades.
depends on what your standard is for reality.If its the SB or NFC championship then yes they have come up short.If its winning games and making the tourney then they have been in the mix alot

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just have this weird feeling in my bones that Jerry is fleecing us, the posture he's displaying is kind of fun to watch
My weird feeling is that Jerry at his age isn't quite as sharp mentally and Stephen is fully in charge. He lets Jerry speak to the media and lets him do just enough to feel like he is in control....like trade for Trey Lance. Thats why we go from "All in" to crickets and redefining what all in means.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go Cowboys!
This board isn't big enough for the two of us, Captain Boldfont.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good points.

The problem with all that is I don’t think Jerry allows reality to influence him enough. His “hope” that every year all they need is a little luck at the craps table is far from the reality that to win playoff games you have to work hard in the off-season to set it up.

Stephen’s comments this week about just needing the oblong ball to roll our way is completely devoid of reality. That’s where those guys live.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I think as Cowboys we want Realistic Hope. Realistic hope is hope for an outcome that is reasonable or probable. The problem is what we hope for is probably not reasonable or probable based on the way the team is run.

Creeper

Reaction score
Let me summarize.

The Cowboys got blown out by the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs last season. It was a total blowout on both offense and defense.

The Cowboys sat on their hands during free agency, signing player willing to play for minimal salary - knowing we had two major weaknesses in 2023 and we lost a significant group of free agents.

The Cowboys drafted a group of college players, like every team in the NFL. Then signed a group of UDFAs like every team in the NFL.

The Cowboys re-sign Zeke Elliott, who we thought was done 2, 3, even 4 years ago.

I love being optimistic about my football team, but you have to be delusional to believe the 2024 Cowboys will be better than the 2023 Cowboys who were not good enough to win a game against a wild card team.

My hope has not become longer term. I hope, by some miracle, Jerry and Stephen decide to step aside and let someone else run this team. My hope is not as far fetched as expecting the 2024 Cowboys to be better than the 2023 Cowboys.