CFZ Hope vs Reality

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There’s Trolls in all Social Media sites. It’s up to all of us to ignore them and not provide their platform and stage to grow.

If their threads start falling off the front page quickly they’ll lose some momentum. And report violations.
:facepalm: You’re naive believing that.

Hardline

Reaction score
Hope-is-a-dangerous-thing.-Hope-can-drive-a-man-insane..jpg

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My hope is that Jerry realizes that Jerry's way isn't getting it done.
My hope is Trey Lance turns out like Patrick Mahomes.
My hope is Jerry hires a HC and allows him to be a HC.
My hope is if Lance fails we use whatever means necessary to take a top QB in 2025.
That's all the hope I can take at this point.

vlad

Reaction score
For as much as ppl complain about romo and now Dak think about what spectacular miracles those guys have been and where this train wreck would be with a string of randoms. Mahomes not growing on trees and i have no belief he would have won a title here anyway.

I do wonder with the way young ppl view sports vs us old heads if at least in Texas kids starting turning to Houston cuz of “cool” factor with cj And you know winning.

morat1959

Reaction score
Hope is a good thing. Being a Cowboys fanatic like we all are here requires that we have some level of hope every year. We all hope “this is our year”, or hope things will different for us this year.

Nothing symbolizes that hope more than the draft. Every year the draft is analyzed, dissected and graded before a single player has played a down of NFL football. Draft experts and fans look at the players we acquire and project their impact in a positive light. Nothing wrong with that because as the saying goes, “Hope springs eternal.” Hope is good. For example, I think we have a good draft this year. I hope so anyway.

But the balance of sports hope is sports reality. Reality is based on the actual results we get and nothing else. The goal of every team - its leaders, players and fan base - is to win a championship or at the very least get close. Reality is only one team wins it every year. This balance of hope versus reality is part of what makes sports fun.

After the last three decades as a Cowboys fan, reality has been harsh. We’ve had some good seasons, like the last three where we won 36 games - three straight 12 win seasons. We’ve made the playoffs all three of those seasons, for the first time since the 90s. The reality staring at us is we have one wild card win to show for the last three seasons. An even stronger dose of reality, we have 5 wild card wins in the last three decades. And the same GM and son pulling all the levers of power. That’s also a harsh reality.

This time of year it’s a good thing to have hope. Optimism is the cornerstone of sports fandom. But the results we get is the ultimate reality - the bottom line at least for me as a fan.

Someday, we all hope that the results we get will line up with the hope we have. When hope and reality happen together, it’s the greatest feeling as a sports fan. As a long time Cowboys fan, I still remember when hope and reality happened. I hope someday it will happen again.

So I hope we can all be tolerant of any fan here who has hope going into the next season. And I also hope that hyper-hopeful fans will also be tolerant of those whose hopes have been crushed so many times by reality that it’s hard to have much hope again. I understand both. I hope we can all allow the balance of hope and reality to exist together.

Go Cowboys!
This is exactly what makes this board a fun place to visit and post. How boring would it be if we all agreed one way or the other?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
For as much as ppl complain about romo and now Dak think about what spectacular miracles those guys have been and where this train wreck would be with a string of randoms. Mahomes not growing on trees and i have no belief he would have won a title here anyway.

I do wonder with the way young ppl view sports vs us old heads if at least in Texas kids starting turning to Houston cuz of “cool” factor with cj And you know winning.
You could look at it from another angle - getting QBs who were pretty good by virtue of sheer chance kept Jerry from having to spend a 1st round pick on a QB who may have been our next HoF SB winner.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Reality" crushes "Hope" every time unless expectations are managed by reason and several weeks of observed excellence in a practice environment. None of us have the advantage of that observation, so we must trust the coaches. This is where most of us fail with our expectations. We don't hold the coaching accountable. I love to observe as much training camp as possible because it allows me to observe the coaches and players at work. I can see with my own eyes the quality we are getting out of our players through effective coaching. Thus I can better account for the quality of the team and manage my expectations accordingly. If I can't get that feedback, like in the "Covid era", I can not manage my expectations and thus have no idea what to expect. So, in this post-COVID time, I now have a greater appreciation for the ability to observe training camp and therefore make a greater effort to see what can be seen at training camp. Getting that feedback is why I love training camp. I don't have to trust the coaching as much because I have observed and confirmed for myself that excellence is being accomplished at practice. With that, reasonable expectations can be set.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hope is a good thing. Being a Cowboys fanatic like we all are here requires that we have some level of hope every year. We all hope “this is our year”, or hope things will different for us this year.

Nothing symbolizes that hope more than the draft. Every year the draft is analyzed, dissected and graded before a single player has played a down of NFL football. Draft experts and fans look at the players we acquire and project their impact in a positive light. Nothing wrong with that because as the saying goes, “Hope springs eternal.” Hope is good. For example, I think we have a good draft this year. I hope so anyway.

But the balance of sports hope is sports reality. Reality is based on the actual results we get and nothing else. The goal of every team - its leaders, players and fan base - is to win a championship or at the very least get close. Reality is only one team wins it every year. This balance of hope versus reality is part of what makes sports fun.

After the last three decades as a Cowboys fan, reality has been harsh. We’ve had some good seasons, like the last three where we won 36 games - three straight 12 win seasons. We’ve made the playoffs all three of those seasons, for the first time since the 90s. The reality staring at us is we have one wild card win to show for the last three seasons. An even stronger dose of reality, we have 5 wild card wins in the last three decades. And the same GM and son pulling all the levers of power. That’s also a harsh reality.

This time of year it’s a good thing to have hope. Optimism is the cornerstone of sports fandom. But the results we get is the ultimate reality - the bottom line at least for me as a fan.

Someday, we all hope that the results we get will line up with the hope we have. When hope and reality happen together, it’s the greatest feeling as a sports fan. As a long time Cowboys fan, I still remember when hope and reality happened. I hope someday it will happen again.

So I hope we can all be tolerant of any fan here who has hope going into the next season. And I also hope that hyper-hopeful fans will also be tolerant of those whose hopes have been crushed so many times by reality that it’s hard to have much hope again. I understand both. I hope we can all allow the balance of hope and reality to exist together.

Go Cowboys!
It does not help when every pre season Jerry is out hyping this team to the gills as the next Superbowl champion.

It shows the total disconnect between Jerry and reality.

It is really discouraging to know this is who is making the football decisions.

I have come to accept I will never see post season success as long as he is in charge.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As a sports fan, ive waited on EVERYONE of my teams: Mets - 38 yrs (and counting) , Liverpool FC - 29 yrs, Wales (rugby) -27 years......my advice to fellow Cowboys Fans is......DONT SUPPORT THE SAME TEAMS AS ME, IM A JINX.

On a more serious take, the higher the expectation the greater the disappointment. Last year encompassed everything that's annoying about our franchise, a good roster, but an inability of the FO to have faith and go all in, (in not addressing the deficiencies in the run gameS).

Hope dies when it cries wolf too often. Same 'ole approach, by the same 'ole FO. Im sure the universal boost to the fanbase is for Jerry to employ a professional GM and build that hope on a more solid foundation. It looks as if Jerry is a bit too engaged with HOPE.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been kinda weird for me. Lately..maybe the last 2-3 years...I hear and read more about Jerry this and Stephen that..than actual players and team. I'm trying to filter that out, it's senseless noise to me. But that also causes some carry over of not caring as much.

We just don;t seem to have Cowboys swagger, attitude and power that I'm used to except for some short streaks. I'm sure come opening day, I'll have my beers and snacks same as every other year. After 50 years of being a fan...hard to just drop it or get too meh. Gonna avoid the extremes of hope and reality. :)

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Go Cowboys!
Tolerant yes, understanding no.

pitt33

Reaction score
Andy DuFrane said, “Hope is a good thing”.

The Shawshank Redemption…

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go Cowboys!
I'm hopeful that CZ gets to New posters that lije to discuss actual football issues...but reality sucks.