Hopefully This Ends the Trade up to #2 Talk

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Check out the cost for the Titans or the Jets to move up to #2 then figure out what it would cost to move up from 18.

Expensive!

Most NFL teams use a Trade Value Chart to make sure they're getting enough in return -- or not overpaying -- when trading draft picks. The chart assigns a point value to every pick in the seven-round draft. New Orleans' No. 2 overall pick, for example, is worth 2,600 points. In order to be a fair trade, whatever package of picks the team received in return should add up to 2,600.

For the Titans to move up to the second pick, they would need to surrender their first-round pick, No. 3 overall and worth 2,200 points, as well as their second-round pick, No. 39 overall and worth 510 points, to match the value of the Saints' pick. That would leave Tennessee with only one selection in the first three rounds, since the Titans already traded their third-round pick to Buffalo.

For the Jets to move up to No. 2, they would need to give up both of their first-round picks, No. 4 overall (worth 1,800 points) and No. 29 overall (acquired from Denver via Atlanta and worth 640 points), as well as their original third round pick No. 71 (worth 235 points). New York would retain its second-round pick, No. 35 overall, and a compensatory pick at the end of the third round, No. 97 overall.

-- Todd McShay

CowboyChris

Reaction score
so what would it cost us to move up to the #2, i dont have access to that site.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
so what would it cost us to move up to the #2, i dont have access to that site.
#18 is worth 900 points.

#49 is worth 410 points.

#80 is worth 190 points.

#150 is worth 31.4 points.

#182 is worth 19.6 points.

#224 is worth .4 points.

That comes to 1551.4 points, well short of the 2600 needed to get #2. That is out entire Draft and it is still 1048.6 points short. In other words, our entire 2006 Draft and next year's #1 might get it done.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Not that I'm interested in moving up that high (or up at all), but how would next years picks work? Would they be devalued or have the same?

pancakeman

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
Not that I'm interested in moving up that high (or up at all), but how would next years picks work? Would they be devalued or have the same?

I remember hearing that you basically subtract a round's worth of value for next-year picks (7th pick of 2007's third round = 7th pick of 2006's fourth round), but frankly that rule never made much sense to me.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Its stupid that they don't do new pick values every year, this year the second and third round choices should be worth far more than last year because this draft truely is one of the deepest ever.

the third round picks should be worth half of the equal first round picks no less.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Unless Tom Brady was at #2, I'd rather stay where I'm at or trade down.

proline

Reaction score
I must have missed something ...... Who's been talking about Dallas moving up to #2???

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
proline said:
I must have missed something ...... Who's been talking about Dallas moving up to #2???

IIRC, because Payton moved to NO, people have been saying that we'll do all this stuff with New Orleans, such as trade Romo for this years first rounder along with next years first rounder...:laugh2:

Reaction score
Hostile said:
#18 is worth 900 points.

#49 is worth 410 points.

#80 is worth 190 points.

#224 is worth .4 points.

That comes to 1551.4 points, well short of the 2600 needed to get #2. That is out entire Draft and it is still 1048.6 points short. In other words, our entire 2006 Draft and next year's #1 might get it done.

So, trading away our entire draft this year still wouldn't be enough to get D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Ok, I see now there is no way he is coming to Dallas.:cry:

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
the draft value chart is accurate only to a certain extend, IMO. all our picks are definately worth the #1 spot jsut because its 6 picks to 1, any team would accept that. i feel that the value chart is based more on a trade of just 2-4 picks. like a trade from 24-18 would cost the 24 team its 1st rounder, 3rd rounder and 4th rounder (at most), but then you have the 24 trying to get the #10 pick which costs almost twice as much as the 18 pick and they wouldnt be able to afford it value wise but the #10 team would probably take a trade of a few of their picks.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
The draft value chart is merely a guideline, not necessarily an actual basis for trades. Teams are not bound to it.

That said, there is no way we move up to #2 this year.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
The draft value chart is merely a guideline, not necessarily an actual basis for trades. Teams are not bound to it.

im just saying, no team is going to disregard a proposal of 6 draft picks just because the "value" isnt there. im also saying the value of each pick kind of decreases as the other team offers more picks.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i think people are putting way to much value into this "draft pick value" thing

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER said:
Of course we won't. Then again, I don't think we would move to 15 or 16 if our guy we really wanted was there.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
#18 is worth 900 points.

#49 is worth 410 points.

#80 is worth 190 points.

#224 is worth .4 points.

Wow....that does leave us out.......:bang2:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
If we do any trading it will be down not up. If we happen to trade up it will occur in the mid to late rounds to acquire a player we have targeted as we did to last year to pick Canty.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
did anybody honestly believe we could move up to 2?

if you look at the points chart, trading all 3 of our 1st day picks only gets us to #7, and we'd still be 700 pts short of the #3 pick, 1100 short of the #2 pick and 1500 short of the #1 pick

I really doubt we'd make any trade up where we sacrifice all our day one picks, and if we want to trade only our 2nd that gets us to 9 or 10...

David