'Horns in Trouble

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Horns are going to be fine.
They basically took this year to toughen up and play kids.
Strong has cleaned out the program of knuckleheads and underachievers.

He won't need 4 years of recruits because after 2 or 3 seasons 95% of the kids will be his. I tried to warn people in this thread that are opponents that that crappy team in Austin would eventually turn it around and they already have to some extent.

Swoopes wasn't a good QB in high school.
He most definitely wasn't Vince Young but he does have size and strength.
He will really be in a battle to hold off Heard who was a better high school player in EVERY way.
He was a 4.59 guy with a big time arm that won a lot of games in Denton in high school.

It will help when they grab a recruit not named Shipley that can consistently catch the football.
They've had a decade of top 10 ranked WRs that do it all except catch the football.

jimmy40

Reaction score
if Swoopes is still the QB next year Strong may not be long for this job.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
A program that wants to be elite needs at least a 4-star quality QB. Swoopes hasn't improved enough to be near that level. His sub-par reads, vision, accuracy, and lack of elite speed & quickness will likely get him overtaken by Jarod Heard next spring.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Swoopes is very similar to VY and you can obviously win with that.

The biggest thing is they cleaned up the program and freed up a zillion scholarship spots.
In 2-3 years that team is going to be nasty.
I could see Texas and Tech fighting for the Big 12 crown in 2 years.
Both are really young and recruiting well with new staffs in place.

Not sure Baylor/KST/OU/TCU has it's same head Coach in 2 years.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Swoopes is very similar to VY and you can obviously win with that.

The biggest thing is they cleaned up the program and freed up a zillion scholarship spots.
In 2-3 years that team is going to be nasty.
I could see Texas and Tech fighting for the Big 12 crown in 2 years.
Both are really young and recruiting well with new staffs in place.

Not sure Baylor/KST/OU/TCU has it's same head Coach in 2 years.
well they're both tall and black, so there's that

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Well, the coaching carousel is always interesting. I would think that Waco may have a difficult time holding Briles, but the FW scene is fairly comfy, and could be the right fit for Gary. Stoopes is still young, but both he and the school may feel their relationship is getting old.
And Snyder can't coach forever, can he?

On the other point about Swoopes vs. VY, Vince was surprisingly fast and bailed himself out with speed; Swoopes can't do that, so he's not much of a dual threat and easier to defend.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Well, the coaching carousel is always interesting. I would think that Waco may have a difficult time holding Briles, but the FW scene is fairly comfy, and could be the right fit for Gary. Stoopes is still young, but both he and the school may feel their relationship is getting old.
And Snyder can't coach forever, can he?

On the other point about Swoopes vs. VY, Vince was surprisingly fast and bailed himself out with speed; Swoopes can't do that, so he's not much of a dual threat and easier to defend.

Vince was one of the top 2 athletes on the field every game he played till he got to the NFL, Swoopes? lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Vince was one of the top 2 athletes on the field every game he played till he got to the NFL, Swoopes? lol

VY was pretty bad early in his career for Texas.
They finally found his calling in that read option and he was dominant for 1.5 years.

VY is a better runner for sure but they are very similar overall with Swoopes having passed for about 500 more yards but 700 less rushing yards as sophomores.

Swoopes, like VY struggles with passing technique but he has great size and the strength to break tackles.

I think Heard is a better QB than either guy coming out of high school. Better passer than VY and a better runner than Swoopes.
But Swoopes was better this year than I expected. He's vastly improved after having terrible technique in high school and as a freshman.

VY benefitted form a heck of a lot of talent around him. Swoopes didn't have the same OL, much less 3 NFL receivers.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Swoopes has 109 more passing attempts this season than Young had his sophomore season. Swoopes should have more than just a 500 yard difference on Vince Young with that many more attempts.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont think Swoopes is any way near VY,obviously it doesnt mean he cant improve next year but i hope they have some good QB recruits next year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I dont think Swoopes is any way near VY,obviously it doesnt mean he cant improve next year but i hope they have some good QB recruits next year.

They have a kid from Eldorado HS named Zach Gentry. He's the 5th ranked pro style QB prospect in the country according to Rivals.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Swoopes has 109 more passing attempts this season than Young had his sophomore season. Swoopes should have more than just a 500 yard difference on Vince Young with that many more attempts.

That 2004 UT team had 4 future NFL OL starting and Cedric Benson, Bo Scaife and Limas Sweed on offense.
Hard to say what each should do considering those casts.

VY was shakier than most UT fans admit. He got it together in a big way once the offense was set to read option.
And he crucified the USC team that was supposed to be an all-time great but he was really questioned after 2 years in the program.
He left a legend.

I was really down on Swoopes as a HS kid and was scared he'd end up at Tech like his cousin. But he impressed me this year with his growth over a short period and his toughness.
He has to continue to get better if he is to hold off Heard but he has enough total talent to lead UT to wins which was something guys like supposed 5 star Garrett Gilbert lacked.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They have a kid from Eldorado HS named Zach Gentry. He's the 5th ranked pro style QB prospect in the country according to Rivals.

Heard was a better HS player than JT Barrett so I doubt it matters for the near future who is in this freshman class at QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That 2004 UT team had 4 future NFL OL starting and Cedric Benson, Bo Scaife and Limas Sweed on offense.
Hard to say what each should do considering those casts.

VY was shakier than most UT fans admit. He got it together in a big way once the offense was set to read option.
And he crucified the USC team that was supposed to be an all-time great but he was really questioned after 2 years in the program.
He left a legend.

I was really down on Swoopes as a HS kid and was scared he'd end up at Tech like his cousin. But he impressed me this year with his growth over a short period and his toughness.
He has to continue to get better if he is to hold off Heard but he has enough total talent to lead UT to wins which was something guys like supposed 5 star Garrett Gilbert lacked.

A hundred more passing attempts is a hundred more passing attempts especially when you are going to throw out that he has passed for 500 more yards than Young. Swoopes has not impressed me at all. With Young the offense could be tailored to meet his skill set. They really can't do that with Swoopes. He isn't a good enough passer or runner to find an offense that can work for him and help the team be successful. If Texas brings in a QB with some talent that QB will win the job over Swoopes.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Swoopes was noticeably inept last night, after spending 3 weeks preparing for Arkansas.

A transfer may be his best bet at this point, because the future rests with Heard and Gentry.

Gotta hope that generally anemic performance doesn't dissuade any recruits.