'Horns in Trouble

joseephuss

Reaction score
An

And that somehow makes you feel better? ROFL.

Wallace would have Texas in the top 25 and would have bridged to the young guys perfectly.

You assume that the previous coaching regime could have developed Bo Wallace. It is possible they would not have been able to do so.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Finally! I'd like to say against a quality opponent but the Aggies seem to have given up on their season.

No fight in that team. I know Sumlin is better than that. He must be embarrassed.

Possibly the worst loss he's ever had.
I know the Tide was fired up, but I wonder if there's some other explanation behind A&M's failure to show up.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I know the Tide was fired up, but I wonder if there's some other explanation behind A&M's failure to show up.

I don't follow the Aggies but it seems their QB is an issue & I'll give him a pass because it can't be easy to follow Manziel.

They cannot tackle. The Tide has a good running game but the Aggies missed so many easy tackles.

Sumlin is good. For their fans I think he'll fix them.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I don't feel very good about the W against ISU, much like Bama's distasteful win over the Hogs.

I really thought Strong would have the D playing smarter and tougher every week, but they took a big step backwards, and this was at home.

If the D can't play any better than that, they may not win any more games this year.

It's safe to say that Strong is on a short leash

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

It is by far... he's never been shutout...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think Strong is in trouble either.

I didn't see the Iowa State game so, as it was on LN and that's not offered where I live, but I suspect Texas had issues with the IS running game and the speed of their backs. Texas does much better, IMO, against power running schemes. Against speed guys, they seem to have more issues. That's probably more of a statement on the over all talent in the front Seven. Again, I didn't see the game so I have no idea if I'm close or not, as to what the issues were.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
No, it isn't. He has as much job security as anyone in the country right now.

Many of UT's biggest backers, like Red McCombs (for whom its business school is named) didn't want him in the first place, and don't think he is right for the job. While I absolutely agree with Strong's approach so far, it has not been universally popular, and he will need to show steady improvement in order to win over those influential doubters. He can't afford many steps backwards -- the Horns need to show that they're getting out of trouble......soon.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Perhaps Mr. McCombs needs to consider what poor shape Coach Brown left the program in when Coach Strong was hired.

That would put some perspective on it perhaps.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Not all that bad they beat OU last season and were 5-2 at this stage.

I think that program was on a serious downward spiral. Being passed over by teams right there in Texas. He was allowed to resign & has a big cushy job with the university from what I've read. I liked the guy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think that program was on a serious downward spiral. Being passed over by teams right there in Texas. He was allowed to resign & has a big cushy job with the university from what I've read. I liked the guy.

Strong has a lot to prove and I'm not impressed. I don't care that he hollers on the sideline means nothing. Rumor has it Mack will be back on the sidelines next season and very well could be Florida.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Strong has a lot to prove and I'm not impressed. I don't care that he hollers on the sideline means nothing. Rumor has it Mack will be back on the sidelines next season and very well could be Florida.

Didn't their current coach come from Mack's staff? I would think they'd look elsewhere.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I'm just not impressed with Strong.

Was really disappointed in the defense on Saturday. One of the knocks on Mac was that the team was undisciplined, and they did not play with max concentration and effort. For all the changes that may need to happen, that's one that is possible to do fairly quickly, especially after after all the terminations.

But I saw more of the same against ISU. Even after a reportedly aggressive halftime rant by Strong, the D did not play any more inspired or intensely or intelligently. Gave up way too many ypc.

We'll see how it goes -- could be some personnel changes coming on D.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
The UT QB reminds me very much of what I remember of Vince Young.

Yeah, and about that intelligent.

This team reminds me of the high school game I attended last night - lots of inexperience, poor technique, and mistakes.

Looks like we're 2 years away from being solid.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, and about that intelligent.

This team reminds me of the high school game I attended last night - lots of inexperience, poor technique, and mistakes.

Looks like we're 2 years away from being solid.

Patience. Just be patient. He has skills but he's not polished at all.