Hostile Mock 2.0

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
While I liked my First Mock and doubt I can improve on it, the truth is those draft rounds have moved for the prospects. Besides I'm bored and want to do another one.

I would like to say I believe Raji is going to be there in the 2nd round, but I don't believe it for a minute. I also think Loadholt is going to be bottom of the 1st. I want a potential starter with the first pick so...

Cowboys 2nd round pick. Sean Smith, SS, Utah, 6'3", 214. Can play CB or S. Had 5 picks in 2008 and returned 1 for a score. Broke up 8 passes. Big, physical and comes to play every down.

3rd round pick from Cleveland. Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon, 6'5", 333. Nasty. Plays until the whistle. May be an OG in the NFL.

4th from round Detroit. Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB, Eastern Michigan, 6'1", 245. A tackling machine. 4 year starter. Natural leader.

Cowboys 4th round pick. Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State, 6'8", 314. Needs to get stronger but has the frame to do it. Can play either side.

Cowboys 5th round pick. Chris Baker, NT, Hampton, 6'2", 310. Collapsed the pocket in the small school ranks to the tune of 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks. Solid backup with future potential.

5th round pick from Tennesse. Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona, 5'9", 187. A big time Punt Return threat who also has guts. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Not likely to be a star, but can develop into a 3rd WR in the slot.

Compensatory 5th round pick. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington, 6'3", 215.
We need a QB who can develop. This kid can. 37 TDs and 6 INTs prove he is a solid decsion maker.

6th round pick from Miami. Cary Harris, CB, USC, 6'0", 184. Depth at CB needed, here it is. Player from a big school who is used to competing. Provides depth and can assist in kick returns if needed.

Compensatory 6th round pick. Dallas Reynolds, C, BYU, 6'5", 328. Depth across OL is needed badly. Don't even try to argue with me about his name. Fits this team.

7th round pick from Detroit. Josh Mauga, ILB, Nevada, 6'2", 246. A chest injury limited him to 8 games. Look at the stats. 82 tackles, 7 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 3 pass breakups.

Cowboys 7th round pick. Brandon Underwood, FS, Cincinnati, 6'1", 190. Too many injuries at S in 2008. Gotta be more prepared. Had 3 INTs and a score plus 6 pass breakups. Finds the ball.

Cuss it and discuss it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
nice mock draft, but im not doing mine till after the senior bowl game this saturday on nfl network. Next, just in case i want to see if jerry jones changes his mind and goes get Shanahan.

So, I will do my draft mid next week till after everything settles down, see what coaches we get, and whom the cowboys scouts and coaches were looking at in the senior bowl.

remember just like last year in the cotton bowl game, the cowboys had 3 scouts watching that game last week, so most likely a draft pick may come out of that game too.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
wasnt the cotton bowl game the one where felix jones was playing in, and the 3 cowboys scouts at that game last year got another good look at him in that game Hostile?

so im thinking with the 3 scouts they sent to the cotton bowl this year, they have someone in mind for the draft this year,, joe

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Hostile;2590843 said:
While I liked my First Mock and doubt I can improve on it, the truth is those draft rounds have moved for the prospects. Besides I'm bored and want to do another one.

I would like to say I believe Raji is going to be there in the 2nd round, but I don't believe it for a minute. I also think Loadholt is going to be bottom of the 1st. I want a potential starter with the first pick so...

Cowboys 2nd round pick. Sean Smith, SS, Utah, 6'3", 214. Can play CB or S. Had 5 picks in 2008 and returned 1 for a score. Broke up 8 passes. Big, physical and comes to play every down.

3rd round pick from Cleveland. Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon, 6'5", 333. Nasty. Plays until the whistle. May be an OG in the NFL.

4th from round Detroit. Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB, Eastern Michigan, 6'1", 245. A tackling machine. 4 year starter. Natural leader.

Cowboys 4th round pick. Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State, 6'8", 314. Needs to get stronger but has the frame to do it. Can play either side.

Cowboys 5th round pick. Chris Baker, NT, Hampton, 6'2", 310. Collapsed the pocket in the small school ranks to the tune of 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks. Solid backup with future potential.

5th round pick from Tennesse. Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona, 5'9", 187. A big time Punt Return threat who also has guts. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Not likely to be a star, but can develop into a 3rd WR in the slot.

Compensatory 5th round pick. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington, 6'3", 215. We need a QB who can develop. This kid can. 37 TDs and 6 INTs prove he is a solid decsion maker.

6th round pick from Miami. Cary Harris, CB, USC, 6'0", 184. Depth at CB needed, here it is. Player from a big school who is used to competing. Provides depth and can assist in kick returns if needed.

Compensatory 6th round pick. Dallas Reynolds, C, BYU, 6'5", 328. Depth across OL is needed badly. Don't even try to argue with me about his name. Fits this team.

7th round pick from Detroit. Josh Mauga, ILB, Nevada, 6'2", 246. A chest injury limited him to 8 games. Look at the stats. 82 tackles, 7 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 3 pass breakups.

Cowboys 7th round pick. Brandon Underwood, FS, Cincinnati, 6'1", 190. Too many injuries at S in 2008. Gotta be more prepared. Had 3 INTs and a score plus 6 pass breakups. Finds the ball.

Cuss it and discuss it.

Quick.....find another OL in the place of Alex Boone. I dont like him at all (maybe Joel Bell - Furman or Ryan Delrosal - Dixie St).

Also, I would rather have Deon Butler or Quan Cosby if we are going to draft a WR in the later rounds.

Other than those two picks.....your mock brings a huge tear of joy to my eyes.

You know, I was thinking, what if we traded down in the 3rd and added another 4th or 5th. I really would like to get Roy Miller. He will be a 4th or 5th rounder.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
Chris Baker isn't necessarily someone you want if you're concerned with cleaning up the image of the cowboys.

dannyboy

Reaction score
I see us losing Canty and Burdett to FA
I see us signing either Bart Scott/Ray Lewis
I see Spears leaving next year and Ratliff moving to DE in 2010 and Brace starting
I see us trading the extra picks to secured an extra late 3rd or early 4th round pick

2) Ron Brace NT BC 6'3" 330
The monstrous Ron Brace collected 10TFL and 2.5 sacks in 2008. He'll be highly sought after toward the end of Day 1, as quality nose tackles are hard to come by.

3) Fili Moala DE USC 6'4" 296
Fili Moala notched 10 TFL and 4.5 sacks as a senior

3) Michael Hamlin, SS, Clemson 6'3" 205
Say what you want about Michael Hamlin, but he has the numbers: 91 tackles, seven passes broken up and six interceptions. Made the All-ACC First Team

4) Phillip Hunt OLB Hou 6'2" 260
A pretty obvious choice as an All-Conference USA first-teamer, Phillip Hunt registered 18.5 TFL and 14 sacks this season

4) Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB East Mich 6'1" 245
Holtzclaw, one of the more underrated players in the nation, notched 107 tackles and 4.5 TFL. He has started every game in his collegiate career.

5) Cary Harris, CB USC 6'0" 184
After a great Kraft Rose Bowl, Cary Harris finished the year with 38 tackles, six passes broken up, four TFL and three picks. Harris was an All-Pac 10 honorable mention.

6) Cedric Dockery, OG TX 6'4" 320
Now two years removed from an ACL tear, Cedric Dockery was an All-Big XII honorable mention.

7) Antonio Dixon NT Miami 6'3" 328
Antonio Dixon has struggled coming off his knee injury, but will get some consideration because of his size

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Biggems
, love your photo, anyway i agree about alex boone, i dont like him either.

wbat i am hoping with the extra picks the cowboys trade up into the 2nd and 3rd round, and one of those players will be Herman Johnson,

He is nasty, big and huge, even better than flozell adams coming out of college. Granted Herman is an offensive guard, but he can play both positions, and he may be big enough to play ROT, but to slow for LOT.

I know you have ron brace high in the 2nd round, but they are saying he is alittle heavy, and looks sloopy at the senior bowl practices.

Now I think ron could fall to the 2nd to 4th round, if he is indeed out of shape.

But I did see him play in that bowl game and he was a monster. Thats exactlyh what this defense needs a big huge NT.

He can spell ratliff some. Till Brace gets it down pat.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
its kinda like to me what nate newton said about this team, this team needs some grunt players, players that play in the trenches or at linebacker, that play nasty. Have a chip on their shoulder, and in time become leaders like Larry Allen, Nate Newton, and Kevin Gogan were.

Thats what this team, not prima donas, but in your face type players and a few mean type linebackers like ray lewis or jack lambert played the game.

Get that, and this team will get back on the right track.

again, we dont need quanity in this draft, since we have a
2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, and 2 compensation picks, most likely 5, & 6

but we need quality picks,

and we definetely need to resign chris canty and burnett, thats a must too

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
and we need a safety like Hostile says, and we definetely need an impact punt and kickoff returner. And a backup QB young that will push Romo.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy;2590881 said:
Chris Baker isn't necessarily someone you want if you're concerned with cleaning up the image of the cowboys.
He is the one I waffled on the most.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Hostile;2591034 said:
He is the one I waffled on the most.

Well replace Baker with Roy Miller and it is all good....Roy doesn't have character issues.....and UT has a tradition for giving big run stuffing DTs to the NFL.

RS12

Reaction score
rd 2 love the pick he'll be gone by 52 Hood from Missouri if he's there

rd3 comes from a pro system but I want a LT

rd4 dont want him, maybe 7th rd

rd5 havent seen him play but is a big jump to the NFL

rd5 Mike Thomas my favorite pick compared by some to Steve Smith, supposedly looked great at senior bowl.

rd6 solid player from great program, great value

rd6 BYU players always flame out, prolly 30 with 4 kids to feed

rd7 havent seen him play

rd7 anyone here is a roll of the dice

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd love to see us get Loadholt, Robinson, or Harris from OU. I think Harris might last until the 4th. We will see.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2590843 said:

Compensatory 5th round pick. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington, 6'3", 215.
We need a QB who can develop. This kid can. 37 TDs and 6 INTs prove he is a solid decsion maker.

Cuss it and discuss it.

I like it.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I like that 3rd round pick out of Oregon. I don't know anything about him, but I noticed his name and his size.

I think I know a player who could turn out to be like Darren Woodson, but he will need some time. (Nevin McKenzie OLB Tennessee) This guy was one of the best blitzers in the SEC. He is a big time hitter, and he returned a pick, 35 yards for a TD. He will unload on you. He wasn't invited to any all-star games. In fact, he didn't even play much until the middle of the 2007 season, and I think he only played two years due to junior college.

McKenzie is 6'2/218 while Darren Woodson is 6'1/ 219. McKenzie came to Tennessee as a SS, but was moved to Sam linebacker because of Eric Berry and Jonathan Hefney and later DeMetrius Morely. I'm not saying he's Woodson, but he can run, and he can hit. He almost killed LSU's QB in the championship game in 2007.

Anyway, I think this guy is going to be a player. He will be a flat out steal for some team who moves him to SS. When you are playing behind Eric Berry, you are in trouble. The coaches found a way to get him on the field, but he was undersized. John Chavis runs some 46 stuff, and McKenzie was drilling people on blitzes. This guy attacks and he brings the wood.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, but you will not hear a peep from him. I bet the Cowboys know about him for sure. They had scouts in Knoxville last season.

Here is a look at him. He's number 20.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/ncaaf/players/l.ncaa.org.mfoot-p.67362

dasander

Reaction score
Hostile;2590843 said:

Compensatory 5th round pick. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington, 6'3", 215. We need a QB who can develop. This kid can. 37 TDs and 6 INTs prove he is a solid decsion maker.

Cuss it and discuss it.

This is a great draft! I like the offensive and defensive lineman plus the quaterback and receiver that addresses our punt return game. A few things though:
Do you think Sean Smith can tackle well enough to be a safety. I look at him as a ball hawking Ed Reed type safety. The safety position concerns me because Ken Hamlin takes too many bad angles and doesn't support the run well.
Brandon Underwood is a pretty well known prospect and I'm not so sure he'll last till the 7th round, but you never know...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dasander;2591318 said:
This is a great draft! I like the offensive and defensive lineman plus the quaterback and receiver that addresses our punt return game. A few things though:
Do you think Sean Smith can tackle well enough to be a safety. I look at him as a ball hawking Ed Reed type safety. The safety position concerns me because Ken Hamlin takes too many bad angles and doesn't support the run well.
Brandon Underwood is a pretty well known prospect and I'm not so sure he'll last till the 7th round, but you never know...
That's not a bad thing.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Hostile;2590843 said:

Don't know why everyone projects him to SS, his frame says FS. I wouldn't mind drafting him, but would prefer drafting a SS cause KHamlin is a terrible open field tackler and I doubt Smith would do better

Hostile said:
Cowboys 5th round pick. Chris Baker, NT, Hampton, 6'2", 310
Collapsed the pocket in the small school ranks to the tune of 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks. Solid backup with future potential.

I don't think Baker would be much of a NT. And if we're going to start someone undersized, we may as well keep Ratlif there. Not to mention he got kicked out of Penn State

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dasander;2591318 said:

Ed Reed is the man and if this guy compares to Ed Reed in your mind then there's no problem with him....Ed Reed = best safety ever...HoS how come you didn't go DE do you feel it's no needed?