Hostile, they have Duke Robinson for cowboys in 2nd rd nationalfootballpost

Bigdog

Reaction score
I have seen him drop in some of the draft sites that I visited. I have a questioned for my fellow cowboys fans and it is this: Who would would you choose if it was Sean Smith, CB/FS Utah or Duke Robinson sitting there at 51?
We can't go wrong with either but I was just wondering. I think some would say Smith because we already have Kosier and Holland as guards but I think Robinson is better or will be better. Tough call because I really like Smith also.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Bigdog;2631879 said:
I have seen him drop in some of the draft sites that I visited. I have a questioned for my fellow cowboys fans and it is this: Who would would you choose if it was Sean Smith, CB/FS Utah or Duke Robinson sitting there at 51?
We can't go wrong with either but I was just wondering. I think some would say Smith because we already have Kosier and Holland as guards but I think Robinson is better or will be better. Tough call because I really like Smith also.

I was going to say take one with the 51st selection and then immediately trade up and grab the 52nd pick. Then I realized that the Eagles have the 52nd pick and their draft needs are Guard and Safety. So now, I say once we realize they will both be there we trade up to the 50th pick (Tampa Bay) and take 'em both.

Come on "Wheelin'n'Dealin" Jerry... I know you can do it.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2631898 said:
I was going to say take one with the 51st selection and then immediately trade up and grab the 52nd pick. Then I realized that the Eagles have the 52nd pick and their draft needs are Guard and Safety. So now, I say once we realize they will both be there we trade up to the 50th pick (Tampa Bay) and take 'em both.

Come on "Wheelin'n'Dealin" Jerry... I know you can do it.

How sick would that be? Duke Robinson and Sean Smith in one draft..I could care less if we traded all the other picks.:)

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2632214 said:
How sick would that be? Duke Robinson and Sean Smith in one draft..I could care less if we traded all the other picks.:)
How about Sean Smith and Ron Brace:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Where are you guys playing Smith?

Wade said last year very clearly that he thought Hamlin was NOT a SS and he wasn't moving him there.

I'd be fine with Robinson.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2632747 said:

Wade said last year very clearly that he thought Hamlin was NOT a SS and he wasn't moving him there.

I'd be fine with Robinson.

Smith at SS. Have you seen the guy play?

dmoore

Reaction score
If he can play CB in this league, someone's going to take him as a CB and that's where he's going to want to play. CB money trumps S money. Drafting a CB to be our SS probably isn't the most efficent way of solving our problems, and I don't think we'll have a legitimate shot at taking him if he's as good as people are pimping him to be.

Robinson I guess I'm okay with. I think we'll likely have a shot at a number of good guards, but we could probably get by with using a 3rd or 4th to fill that hole.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2632785 said:
Honestly, no I haven't. I just saw that he was listed as a FS/CB.

Well he could be a great FS or SS. I think he's the best tackling DB out there, better than Malcolm. He can scoot Hamlin on over to FS, where I actually think Hamlin is a better tackler and cover guy. He played it in 07-08 and had 90+ tackles and a trip to the probowl. Smith can ball hawk on passing downs, while play run support when needed at SS.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2632855 said:
Well he could be a great FS or SS. I think he's the best tackling DB out there, better than Malcolm. He can scoot Hamlin on over to FS, where I actually think Hamlin is a better tackler and cover guy. He played it in 07-08 and had 90+ tackles and a trip to the probowl. Smith can ball hawk on passing downs, while play run support when needed at SS.

What do you mean, scoot Hamlin to FS? That's where he's always played.

I have a hard time seeing anyone as a CB/SS combo.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2632863 said:

that's because Smith isn't a CB/SS combo

the closest thing to that in this draft if Mississippi State SS Keith Fitzhugh

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2632863 said:

Pretty sure when Roy went down, he went to SS, with Watkins/Killa/Battle playing FS. I could be wrong but it looked like it to me in the games.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly with Holland and Kosier and Bigg I would not want to spend my second on a guard. If we are going O line then a center (or better yet someone who can play both guard and center) is a better pick. Won't even get into tackle......

slotshot

Reaction score
Saw the post above and it spurred a thought...what if we hadn't picked up Holland? WOW, we would be razor think on the O-Line. I think that was a vital mid-season pick-up that will really pay off next year.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I saw that last night, too.

I would be very happy with one of the 2 big guards. It's a great value that fits a big need. It's a no brainer.

I would take Robinson or Johnson and track other offensive linemen for the third round.

Jason Watkins has LT abiltiy. He has moved up from a 4th round projection to a third round projection according to NFL DraftScout. The third round isn't out of the question.

Tackles rise, and Watkins has LT skills.

2. Herman Johnson
3. Jason Watkins (could move down a little and still get him)

LG and LT

I think Duke Robinson will be gone. I respect him as a player. Johnson has RT potential when Colombo is gone if you wanted to move him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2632747 said:

Perhaps after Wade reviews this yrs game film and sees what an atrocity Hamlin was in coverage, he'll change his mind.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
dbair, didnt one time good ole wade said that the safeties for the cowboys are interchangeable?

that they know how to or could play either position? And best i remember hamlin played strong safety for seattle.