CFZ Hottest candidate for a 2024 HC position could be Kellen Moore

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing we are going to see often this season are the comparisons with McCarthy and Moore and their respective QB's.

And Moore detractors, say what you will, Prescott had his best years with Moore as his OC. Now, he will have one of the top 5 young guns and all the coverage he will need because of his past ties with the Cowboys and the media is chomping at the bit to start the comparisons. That, is going to be the top Cowboys story this season and it is made to order for ESPN and NFLN.

There are two young guns coming up in this draft and owners and GM's will be looking to get a HC-QB marriage like Reid-Mahomes and Pederson-Lawrence because those two QB's are not where they are without those two HC's. No HC allows a QB to be himself more than Reid.

The Chargers could be faced with either promoting Moore to HC or watching him leave. Staley was supposed to be the connection to Herbert but it may be Moore that shines with him.

I know a lot blame Moore and do not like his style but he is the future of the NFL because it is all about the QB and what HC's can best connect with them are going to be in high demand. Look how much DEN just paid Payton, all based on his connection to Brees.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Never impressed with him; his play selection when games were on the line was frankly sub par. Not talking about the execution; but the selection. I never thought he made very good choices when the rubber met the road.

shabazz

Reaction score
One thing we are going to see often this season are the comparisons with McCarthy and Moore and their respective QB's.

And Moore detractors, say what you will, Prescott had his best years with Moore as his OC. Now, he will have one of the top 5 young guns and all the coverage he will need because of his past ties with the Cowboys and the media is chomping at the bit to start the comparisons. That, is going to be the top Cowboys story this season and it is made to order for ESPN and NFLN.

There are two young guns coming up in this draft and owners and GM's will be looking to get a HC-QB marriage like Reid-Mahomes and Pederson-Lawrence because those two QB's are not where they are without those two HC's. No HC allows a QB to be himself more than Reid.

The Chargers could be faced with either promoting Moore to HC or watching him leave. Staley was supposed to be the connection to Herbert but it may be Moore that shines with him.

I know a lot blame Moore and do not like his style but he is the future of the NFL because it is all about the QB and what HC's can best connect with them are going to be in high demand. Look how much DEN just paid Payton, all based on his connection to Brees.
It’s gonna be decided by his success in the playoffs

the Garrett/Moore offenses have had plenty of success in the regular season but their offense , especially Moores, have gone AWOL in the playoffs.…..and those loses weren’t because of the defense in the last few years

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we're going to find out how good Moore really is this year. Should be interesting.
I am looking forward to it because I do not recall one like this before. They let the OC walk off back-to-back 12 win seasons and top 3 offensive rankings.

And while Moore has really said nothing, McC has insinuated this was on Moore.

But this duo already owns a first for me when McC admitted after that first playoff loss that not only didn't he get involved in the offensive game plan and calling, he didn't even know Moore's playbook. He's an offensive HC and that's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Only thing that makes sense to me is McC was told to stay out of Moore's way.

Now, I wonder how vocal McC was to Booger about Moore once the season ended? Did he help sell Booger that he would be a better play caller?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This seems like a bit of a premature discussion right now. Moore hasn't fallen off the radar, but I don't know that his star is shining as bright as it once was. How strong a candidate his is for a head coaching gig will hinge a lot on how well Hebert and the Chargers do this year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This seems like a bit of a premature discussion right now. Moore hasn't fallen off the radar, but I don't know that his star is shining as bright as it once was. How strong a candidate his is for a head coaching gig will hinge a lot on how well Hebert and the Chargers do this year
Of course it will but who catches the blame for that last game, the OC or the QB?

I think he landed in the perfect spot but he's as susceptible to the same problems McC will be, injuries. The Chargers lost more key games from top players than any other team last year with two of the top 10 D players in the league, Bosa and James, out too much.

Moore's challenge is to keep his HC in check on some of those high risk calls he likes to make. I thought he should have been fired last season.

And I specialize in premature discussions, you should know that by now.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Good luck Kellen.

Get more creative on third down than running curl routes at the marker every single time. And people wonder why Dak had so many picks.

Big D

Reaction score
the Garrett/Moore offenses have had plenty of success in the regular season but their offense , especially Moores, have gone AWOL in the playoffs.…..and those loses weren’t because of the defense in the last few years
The season before last the defense was absolutely culpable in the loss. They gave up nearly 250 yds rushing. You can't blame Kellen or Dak for that. Dak had a bad game last year vs the 49ers. Let's see how he bounces back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never impressed with him; his play selection when games were on the line was frankly sub par. Not talking about the execution; but the selection. I never thought he made very good choices when the rubber met the road.
It seemed like practically the entire fanbase was in love with him when he first got here. Everyone was living in the moment. The offense was creative and Dak almost put up 5000 yards. No one was complaining about Moore that first season. There were fans that wanted Jerry to make him the HC the following season. Lol Fans started to really sour on Moore by year three. It won’t take long for fans to jump on McCarthy and Schottenheimer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Kellen is no dummy. He also knows that the chargers HC is on the hot seat this season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kellen is no dummy. He also knows that the chargers HC is on the hot seat this season.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s on the hot seat. He’s a young coach and the Chargers improved over his first season and made the playoffs. However, they did blow a 27-0 lead. If they were to have a rough season and miss the playoffs, then it’s possible he could get fired. I think McCarthy’s seat is hotter than Staley’s. Any step back from last season could be the end for McCarthy.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s on the hot seat. He’s a young coach and the Chargers improved over his first season and made the playoffs. However, they did blow a 27-0 lead. If they were to have a rough season and miss the playoffs, then it’s possible he could get fired. I think McCarthy’s seat is hotter than Staley’s.
Personally I think Staley doesn’t bring much as a coach. He is a defensive guy and their defense is awful and blows games consistently.

If I’m the chargers front office I’m questioning what he brings to the team.

T-RO

Reaction score

And Moore detractors, say what you will, Prescott had his best years with Moore as his OC....

Big fan of Moore, and of the Chargers.

But honestly...I don't see Moore as head coach material. I was watching him at the podium for a Chargers press conference earlier today and I again was confirmed in my opinion. Kellen isn't an alpha. He seemed uncomfortable with the mic in front of him and a small group of reporters.

Moore's best future, IMO, is as an offensive coordinator, not as a high profile leader of men.

GINeric

Reaction score

McCarthy has led a team to a Superbowl victory....

Moore has called pass plays on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down and short or goal to go in games our running backs were averaging 5 and 6 yards a carry.....

Moore shouldn't be even mentioned in the same breath as McCarthy. Moore has a low IQ in-game awareness and calls a very predictable game plan. He's not intelligent enough to emphasize the things the opposition can't stop.

This conversation is over.