Hottest team in the league with 22 straight *updated* Rockets

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2022197 said:
No, but if he tosses up another one of those contested 15 footers like he did at the end of the game last night, I may start. Man, that pissed me off. :banghead:

Seriously, the Rockets playoff success drought began about the same time as the Cowboys playoff drought. I could never put that on T-Mac. They've played some good playoff series, they could just never get over the hump.

I'm mostly kidding. I'm sure he'll win a playoff series at some point. He's too good not to.

Route 66

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2022197 said:
No, but if he tosses up another one of those contested 15 footers like he did at the end of the game last night, I may start. Man, that pissed me off. :banghead:

Seriously, the Rockets playoff success drought began about the same time as the Cowboys playoff drought. I could never put that on T-Mac. They've played some good playoff series, they could just never get over the hump.

Hang in there-its never over til its over.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i still think the rockets could take the hornets, but thats really about it

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MC KAos;2022588 said:
i still think the rockets could take the hornets, but thats really about it
Without Yao, the Hornets are probably the only team the Rockets can match up well with in the West. Everybody else will abuse them on the inside.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rampage;2023145 said:
thanks, love the sig. but i'm glad they made a change cause whoever it was before him had to go.
Carroll Dawson is a Houston legend and I believe he's been with the organization since his playing days. Don't hold me to that, tho. He's still with the organization as a consultant, IIRC.

It may have been time for him to step down as GM, but he did alot for the Rockets during his tenure.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rockets clinch playoff berth
Balanced attack routs Clippers, assures postseason

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES — They had no mad celebrations. There were no midcourt pileups, certainly no locker room champagne baths.

Theirs was more of a businesslike grab of a playoff spot, so the Rockets handled the Los Angeles Clippers with a fittingly business-as-usual 105-79 win on Sunday. They then celebrated with a simple sense of satisfaction and pride, not in the win that clinched it, but in all that went into turning a season around enough to head to a postseason.

"To us, it means a lot, because the day Yao Ming went down, everybody counted us out," Tracy McGrady said. "To this group, that is one of the things we wanted to prove to people: that we're still a team that is going to make the playoffs. We accomplished that, and we should be proud of ourselves for getting that done. Pretty much (everyone) had written us off. Especially how tight the West is, we were the forgotten team at that time.

"We knew we were going to make the playoffs. That's not really what this team is all about. Our thing is: What are we going to do when we get there?"

With that, the Rockets walked off with what they came for and marked the occasion accordingly.

"We just high-five," guard Luther Head said, "and say way to go."

That was sufficient as the Rockets matched last season's 52 wins with five games left. They return home from their five-game road trip alone in fifth place in the Western Conference, 2½ games behind leader New Orleans, and with coach Rick Adelman happy just to consider job one done.

"That's just a great win, to finish these three off to get to the playoffs," Adelman said. "This team deserves a lot of credit. With everything they went on, with the injuries, losing Yao and everything else, to be in the position we're in, I think they deserve a tremendous amount of credit. People act like losing Yao wasn't a big deal. It was a pretty big deal, and we never wavered. We're in there. Let's see where we can land.

"I've never been prouder of a team the way they sustained effort right through the entire year."

They had little difficulty getting the win to assure the playoff spot, though after they were through, Denver lost anyway, a result that would have put the Rockets in the playoffs regardless of their outcome against the Clippers. But rather than back in, the Rockets scored with little difficulty throughout.

With 18 points, Aaron Brooks led the Rockets in scoring for the first time in his rookie season, and fellow rookie Luis Scola added 16. McGrady continued to struggle with his shot, going just 5-of-16, but had nine assists and eight rebounds.

The Rockets led by as much as 22 in the first half before blowing the game open again in the second half.

"Tonight was typical," Adelman said. "At halftime, we almost have five guys in double figures. We were playing hard. Typical. We were in every game, competed every game."

The Rockets had not scored so easily since they left home for the five-game trip. They began to come out of it in Portland and blew out Seattle in the third quarter.

But those wins were nothing compared with the way they blew through the Clippers' approximation of defense in Sunday's first half.

Even with Adelman playing his bench most of the second quarter, the Rockets easily rolled to a 62-42 halftime lead, coming within four points of the most they had scored in a half this season.

With Brooks, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes and Head playing with Shane Battier, the Rockets rolled through a 20-4 run to a 56-36 lead.

By then, the greatest threat to the Rockets' chances seemed boredom, a trap that briefly caught them but never held them as they took the win — and their playoff spot — with an appropriate finish and celebration.

"It was the way we need to play from this point on," Battier said. "We had balance. We played good defense. We moved the basketball. That's when we're at our best.

"We're very, very happy to have clinched. Considering all we've gone through this year — we started very poorly, we had an amazing hot streak, we lose our best player, we ran the gamut of emotions this year — to clinch a playoff spot in arguably the greatest playoff race in the history of the NBA says a lot about this team."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
April 05, 2008
Lakers, Mavs and Rockets in front of the TV
As Rockets players went through their customary postgame routines — showers, ice, interviews, more ice — the television in the corner of KeyArena's visitor's locker room showed the Lakers-Mavericks game.

They could not help but watch, which was not good news for those of us on a central time deadline, but understandable.

Those few minutes offered the most entertaining ball they had seen Friday night, and they could go a long way toward determining their playoff fate.

So I asked — and now ask you. What would be better for the Rockets: holding off the seventh-place Mavericks who are giving chase to the fifth-place Rockets and Suns or making up ground on the second-place (excluding tie breakers) Lakers?

I asked Tracy McGrady, Shane Battier, Bobby Jackson and Butch Grant, the team security director. (I asked Butch because it was his idea.)

These are the guys who we know give straight answers. Battier can be careful at times. After he took apart Kevin Durant on Friday he said Durant was stopped only by life as a rookie playing big minutes for 76 games, knowing he will see him next week. But when Battier gives the judicious answer he does it in a way that lets you know what he is doing.

In this case, he offered no answer. Neither did McGrady. Neither did Jackson. Neither did Grant.

It seemed a good question, with answers to reveal how the Rockets felt about their potential to chase the top spot in the standing compared to their potential to hold on to the spot they've got. I thought they would at least fake it and say 'go Mavs go', indicating a confidence that they can catch the Lakers, Spurs and Hornets.

They didn't and as I laid out what I thought each answer would reveal, sort of a half-full/half-empty test, it was clear they really have not given the topic much thought.

They follow the standings closely, though they say they rarely talk about it. There are newspapers strewn about at every groggy morning shootaround. ESPN plays in every locker room. If I'm not sure what a particularly result means in the standings, I can ask anyone and get details. In Portland, with my story already filed, when Battier and I could not remember if the win meant they were 2½ or two games out of first, three guys came quickly with answers.

But this was a stumper, falling under the category of things that cannot be controlled and therefore not worth their concern.

"We're basketball fans," Battier said, indicating that they would be watching whether game impacted them or not. "We're just watching the game.

"I want the Rockets to win."

OK, that was Battier being Battier. Kind of like when he said Durant was feeling the 74 games he had played, knowing that while the Sonics had played 76 games, Durant had played just 74. (Hotshot got it wrong though, when he said the next game with Sonics was Tuesday. Ha.)

But it was clear that the Rockets had not worried about the ramifications of a Lakers versus Mavericks loss. Perhaps they should not be. Battier is right. (Again.) It really is about how the Rockets are playing as opposed to who they play.

I have a feeling though that if viewers in Houston switched channels when the Rockets were through, or sometime during that dreadful fourth quarter, they had no such ambivalence.

We'll soon see. Dallas-Phoenix on Sunday. Who ya got?

Posted by Jonathan Feigen at April 5, 2008 01:01 AM