Houston Astros MLB Playoffs

kskboys

Reaction score
Growing up in Houston, went to many games in the Dome….starting in the late 70’s or so. I even played in some games there in HS and college. Don’t get me started on that terrible playing field :laugh:

Anyways, some names that I will never forget…..Joe Sambito and Mark Lemongello. Those funny names will always stick with me. I even saw Pete Rose break a record there but forgot which one.
Charlie Kerfield!!!!

And the original Pujols, Luis!!!!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or if Sambito hadn't had medical issues and if Thon hadn't gotten drilled on the eye by a pitch. Before Correa, Thon was the best SS we'd ever had.

Geez I had forgotten about Dickie Thon being hit by Mike Torrez... Was watching that game on TV.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might be the best description I've read about the Alvarez homer... And it wasn't by anyone rooting for either team...

"Sammy M.

· 11h 40m ago

Tigers fan here, no dog in the fight. That homer by Alvarez felt suspended in the air forever, seemingly slowing down time. It was an absolute light tower of a blast, one of those "oh my god" moments, and I found it to be breathtaking as just a fan of the game. People in Houston will discuss it until the end of time, and I'm happy for those fans that have been through a lot these past few years. Congrats, Houston!"

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course, let's look at the flip side. We gave up the marvelous Josh Fields for Alvarez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and it was from the Dodgers, makes it all that much sweeter!!!

And don't forget Larry Anderson for Bagwell, and prospects for Verlander!!!

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The Astros are just unstoppable...they should win at least 2 more championships before their run ends. Their window is probably still 5+ years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get Aaron Judge next. No team in the AL is close to stopping them

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros are just unstoppable...they should win at least 2 more championships before their run ends. Their window is probably still 5+ years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get Aaron Judge next. No team in the AL is close to stopping them

No, the will not sign Aaron Judge.

This team is far more careful with their payroll than over-paying for a 30-yo slugger.

It would end up like the Angels when they signed Albert Pujols–A guy on the wrong side of 30 who will hamstring your payroll for years to come.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them let Verlander walk if he opts out.

Also I think you've seen the last of Maldanodo and Gurriel.

RodeoJake

Reaction score

This team is far more careful with their payroll than over-paying for a 30-yo slugger.

It would end up like the Angels when they signed Albert Pujols–A guy on the wrong side of 30 who will hamstring your payroll for years to come.

If Dusty returns, Yuli and Maldy will be back. Maldy is signed for next year and Dusty loves both. Personally, I think Maldy is a backup and Yuli is washed up.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dusty returns, Yuli and Maldy will be back. Maldy is signed for next year and Dusty loves both. Personally, I think Maldy is a backup and Yuli is washed up.

Well it sounds like Baker and Click will both be back for next season.

I do hope they bring in some additional offensive weapons.

They need to lengthen their lineup.

DH, 1B and C are offensive holes (if you're looking at Yordan as being the LF).

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Well it sounds like Baker and Click will both be back for next season.

I heard that. I hope Click makes roster decisions that forces Dusty to play the best 9 instead of his favorites. Our offense was offensive this year. Pitching carried us to the title this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Yuli washed up? 347 in post season with 2 HR 4 RBI and struck out 1 time.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Yuli washed up? 347 in post season with 2 HR 4 RBI and struck out 1 time.

He stunk in the regular season. He's 39 and his bat speed has slowed. We can't resign him based on postseason stats. I appreciate what he did in the playoffs, but his putrid hitting in the regular season can't be ignored.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score

Maldy is about the best defensive catcher in the AL, and Yuli struggled in the regular sesson coming off his AL batting championship in 2021… but he KILLED in the 2022 playoffs. Gurriel will turn 40 next season. Time to move on from him.

kskboys

Reaction score

Tough decisions must be made if the team wants to keep winning.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Verlander opted out of his contract with Stros. Best of luck JV - until you run into the Astros, in which case I hope you get roughed up!